Bills' Mandatory Minicamp: June 16-18

1. Correct. 4 years. Backup. No starts.

2. Well, apparently not anymore. His contract was up, and they didn't resign him, he was signed by Buffalo as a free agent I believe. Probably quite cheaply?

Holy cow, you talk about Tyrod like he's some bum we signed off the unemployment line, and you don't even know how he ended up with the Bills???

Ravens wanted to keep him, offered him a contract, but he wants to start. Sees his best chance with the Bills. Denver offered him more money to backup Manning but he came here because he thinks he can start here, and it looks like he just might.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy cow, you talk about Tyrod like he's some bum we signed off the unemployment line, and you don't even know how he ended up with the Bills???

Ravens wanted to keep him, offered him a contract, but he wants to start. Sees his best chance with the Bills. Denver offered him more money to backup Manning but he came here because he thinks he can start here, and it looks like he just might.

...and Denver's HC was his OC last year. His team offered more $ than anyone else. That is obviously a credit to Taylor.

I think I've said it in other threads, but the only QB I don't want to win this job (of the top 3) is Cassel -- and I hope it's obvious he's in 3rd place when we get through TC.

Ditto. I see them keeping Cassell to make sure neither implodes on game day. But Taylor and EJ are more likely to run the same offense than Cassell will be able to AND. They will offer something Cassell won't- hope for a star.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

What? He was a FA that signed with the Bills. What's the mystery here! Damn. Stop acting like you've been a huge Tyrod Taylor fan for years, and stop

trying to imbue all these great attributes to a guy who has never started an NFL game.

What? He was a FA that signed with the Bills. What's the mystery here! Damn. Stop acting like you've been a huge Tyrod Taylor fan for years, and stop

trying to imbue all these great attributes to a guy who has never started an NFL game.

There have been guys that came in after a few years as highly thought of back ups to become quality starters. Matt Hasselbeck & Matt Schaub come to mind. I'm not saying that this is definitely the case but I'm not saying it definitely isn't either. His former team and coaches thought highly of him.

There have been guys that came in after a few years as highly thought of back ups to become quality starters. Matt Hasselbeck & Matt Schaub come to mind. I'm not saying that this is definitely the case but I'm not saying it definitely isn't either. His former team and coaches thought highly of him.

It's certainly happened. But those guys were pocket passers. I struggle to see how a guy like Taylor, who's main weapon is his legs, would ever make it through an NFL season with injury.

Fun Working Environment At Minicamp (4:16)

RB Fred Jackson notes the change in atmosphere that has become apparent under new HC Rex Ryan, QB competition update and Hall of Fame WR Andre Reed joins the coaching staff.

@buffalobills

Welcome to Buffalo Bills Minicamp 2015. Get ready to work. MORE ACTION: http://bufbills.co/vy8tyH

It's certainly happened. But those guys were pocket passers. I struggle to see how a guy like Taylor, who's main weapon is his legs, would ever make it through an NFL season with injury.

His former OC's team offered more money than anyone else. His current team wanted to keep him. That for me is the most important factor. They don't go after guys that they don't think can help them. They certainly don't offer him more than any other team if they don't think that he can help them. Edited by Kirby Jackson

His former OC's team offered more money than anyone else. His current team wanted to keep him. That for me is the most important factor. They don't go after guys that they don't think can help them. They certainly don't offer him more than any other team if they don't think that he can help them.

As a backup. But as the founding member of the ABC (anyone but Cassel) club, I'd root for him like crazy if he wins the job.

But as a lesser version of Vick, who has been a disaster the last few years, I struggled to see Taylor could be an every game starter. But if Roman (not Rex) thinks he is a starter, I'll roll with it.

pretty much like wilson did

@MarkLud12: All 3 QBs spoke after practice. It's striking just how much bigger EJ and Cassel are. In comparison, Tyrod Taylor looks more like a WR.

Good tweet

/s

As a backup. But as the founding member of the ABC (anyone but Cassel) club, I'd root for him like crazy if he wins the job.

But as a lesser version of Vick, who has been a disaster the last few years, I struggled to see Taylor could be an every game starter. But if Roman (not Rex) thinks he is a starter, I'll roll with it.

Sal Capaccio said they were running formations where the QB reversed to become one of the lead blockers...this doesn't seem smart.

I am not looking forward to any of these guys. If I had to pick one it is Taylor b/c I have seen enough of the other 2 to believe that their best case scenario is worse than Taylor's. I don't know what he is going to be but he feels to me like Manziel as a prospect (but less accurate). I'm not trying to creat a stir here by using that comparison but an undersized guy that will use his quickness and mobility to make plays. It will have more of a "backyard football feel" than a Peyton Manning type of offense. He could be a poor man's Russell Wilson.

I am not looking forward to any of these guys. If I had to pick one it is Taylor b/c I have seen enough of the other 2 to believe that their best case scenario is worse than Taylor's. I don't know what he is going to be but he feels to me like Manziel as a prospect (but less accurate). I'm not trying to creat a stir here by using that comparison but an undersized guy that will use his quickness and mobility to make plays. It will have more of a "backyard football feel" than a Peyton Manning type of offense. He could be a poor man's Russell Wilson.

That IMO is a recipe for ultimate failure as this style of offense is not sustainable. It's why QBs who cannot function in a structured offense where most of the damage is done within the pocket eventually wash out. IF that's what Taylor is, I say No Thank You.

With Rex's comment around EJ using his legs more and his interest in TT, I think Rex and Roman want to execute a lot of roll out/option type plays. I am picturing a clear out route by the wide out with intermediate crossing pattern from the backside, and the QB has the option to hand off, throw (bomb or intermediate), or decent run in space by the QB. This type of offense would get me very excited. Also wasn't it what made Kaep successful (and Wilson still)?

Also count me in the ABC club.

Edited by YattaOkasan

That IMO is a recipe for ultimate failure as this style of offense is not sustainable. It's why QBs who cannot function in a structured offense where most of the damage is done within the pocket eventually wash out. IF that's what Taylor is, I say No Thank You.

With you entirely here. It's a pretty simple proposition; you either become a pocket passer or you fail in this league. Russell Wilson is experiencing success for precisely that reason; he has become a pocket passer and this forces a defense to defend more of the field. If Taylor can't develop into that type of QB, he has little chance for long term success as a starter.

GO BILLS!!!

With Rex's comment around EJ using his legs more and his interest in TT, I think Rex and Roman want to execute a lot of roll out/option type plays. I am picturing a clear out route by the wide out with intermediate crossing pattern from the backside, and the QB has the option to hand off, throw (bomb or intermediate), or decent run in space by the QB. This type of offense would get me very excited. Also wasn't it what made Kaep successful (and Wilson still)?

Also count me in the ABC club.

Yes. This is what they want to run, I think. That's why I think it's ultimately between EJ and Tyrod. If Cassel has to go in, they can switch up the O to a more west coast philosophy, which teams won't have game tape on and it could give us an edge. If we were in that situation mid-late season, hopefully that edge keeps our playoff hopes alive.

With you entirely here. It's a pretty simple proposition; you either become a pocket passer or you fail in this league. Russell Wilson is experiencing success for precisely that reason; he has become a pocket passer and this forces a defense to defend more of the field. If Taylor can't develop into that type of QB, he has little chance for long term success as a starter.

GO BILLS!!!

Some say the reason why SF failed last year is that Kaep has not developed into a sufficient pocket passer.

GO BILLS!!!

Who says that he can't though? He may be as good in the pocket already as EJ and Cassel, both of whom have more experience. I am simply suggesting that the skillset that he has that differentiates himself from other QBs in the league at this point is his ability to make plays when things break down. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Not saying you're wrong, but why do you conclude Taylor is lesser than Vick? Taylor broke all Vick's records at VT.

Also, note that VIck is in the mid-30s. If you're comparing Vick and Taylor, compare them at the same age. Vick was winning division titles for Atlanta back then.

Who says that he can't though? He may be as good in the pocket already as EJ and Cassel, both of wh have more experience. I am simply suggesting that the skillset that he has that differentiates himself from other QBs in the league at this point is his ability to make plays when things break down.

Obviously, I enjoy your posts a lot Kirby. But why the patience with Taylor and not with Manuel, who has played one less year? IMO, and don't know how anyone can argue, Taylor has received far superior NFL coaching than Manuel.

Not saying you're wrong, but why do you conclude Taylor is lesser than Vick? Taylor broke all Vick's records at VT.

Also, note that VIck is in the mid-30s. If you're comparing Vick and Taylor, compare them at the same age. Vick was winning division titles for Atlanta back then.

Vick was a #1 overall pick while Taylor was a 6th rounder. Vick is one of the greatest athletes to ever play qb and had an absolute cannon for an arm. He made multiple pro bowls.

And that said, it never failed that teams would eventually adjust to Vick. And he couldn't beat them with his arm or he would get hurt. Taylor is going to get killed if he tries to play like he did at VT.

I hope he shocks the world since he is a Bill. At the same point, a lot of posters won't think he could ever be a viable NFL starter if he wasn't on the Bills.

Obviously, I enjoy your posts a lot Kirby. But why the patience with Taylor and not with Manuel, who has played one less year? IMO, and don't know how anyone can argue, Taylor has received far superior NFL coaching than Manuel.

Vick was a #1 overall pick while Taylor was a 6th rounder. Vick is one of the greatest athletes to ever play qb and had an absolute cannon for an arm. He made multiple pro bowls.

And that said, it never failed that teams would eventually adjust to Vick. And he couldn't beat them with his arm or he would get hurt. Taylor is going to get killed if he tries to play like he did at VT.

I hope he shocks the world since he is a Bill. At the same point, a lot of posters won't think he could ever be a viable NFL starter if he wasn't on the Bills.

A simple answer to that would be we have a team around the QB that is biult to win now....

If TT has been better coached and is better at the moment.....he should play

I am starting to become a Tyrod Taylor fan really fast

- He is actually making the throws

- He brings the ability of an extra threat on the field......very fast

- I want to see how durable he is....does he slide to not take hits....does he just run for first downs like a starting QB should

He is going to be given a legit chance to win this thing.......we might have something here

Let's not get ahead of yourself over a couple friendly tweets about June OTAs. It's a long way from September

A simple answer to that would be we have a team around the QB that is biult to win now....

If TT has been better coached and is better at the moment.....he should play

I don't think anyone is saying anything different.

If Taylor wins the job, it could be rough when teams adjust to him. Very long, long way to go for this yet, I think the coaches would have a big laugh at how much we freak out over every offseason activity though. :)

And the current Bills coach's woody for Tyrod

Why go there?/

Who hates on the backup QB, much less on who never played? If he played bad in one start, people would want him cut. Fans are so fickle.

He also had a woody for Sanchez. Might be best to keep Rex away from the offense.

you too?

By the sound of things, several here are getting a woody for Tyrod.

not unexpected wording from you.

and then the name tyrod isnt helping.

I saw the game that EJ played last year in Houston and it was the worst game that I have ever seen a guy play. That isn't hyperbole either. It is burned into my memory. There were guys running free all over the field that he just didn't see. He was regressing when he got pulled and looked completely lost.

I know that he hasn't had the best coaching or opportunities but he looks like a less decisive Trent Edwards at this point. I hope that I am wrong but I have seen some qualities that I don't think can be overcome. It has nothing to do with the stats to me and everything to do with the things that he struggles with. He has trouble seeing the field and with accuracy. He has the personality and build to be a good QB.

In some ways to me it is like Spiller if this makes sense. Spiller will never be a great RB because he can't see the holes. He may be a good offensive weapon but vision is a necessity to be a good RB. These traits to me are inate and not things that you improve upon. You can improve upon arm strength but anticipation is instinctual. It is a feel for the game and I can't think of anyone that ever developed that. To me, Fitz was really good at that but he is so limited physically that he could never overcome it.

Taylor to me is the unknown. He has an effortless motion and is a great athlete. I'm willing to see if he can combine these traits as he has never been given a chance to do so. I don't think that EJ can develop instincts and I don't think that Cassel can develop physical skills. Again, I am not thrilled with the options but he has as much of a chance as anyone.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Who says that he can't though? He may be as good in the pocket already as EJ and Cassel, both of whom have more experience. I am simply suggesting that the skillset that he has that differentiates himself from other QBs in the league at this point is his ability to make plays when things break down.

I'll admit that the talk of Taylor frustrates me a little in that I feel like he gets the treatment of "he's a vet!" and "he's just a young guy learning" seem to each cover his question marks in a lot of threads--- which is interesting as they are at times contradictory but get used to assume the best,

I'll be curious to see where he lands but until it's full speed and live bullets I think it's healthy to be skeptical of the late rounder that hasn't shown he can do it, instead of always landing on the side of optimism on every question mark (not directed at you, but some of the tyrod fans in a general sense)

Who says that he can't though? He may be as good in the pocket already as EJ and Cassel, both of whom have more experience. I am simply suggesting that the skillset that he has that differentiates himself from other QBs in the league at this point is his ability to make plays when things break down.

I'm certainly not saying he can't. From what I gather, he's very intelligent, has a great work ethic, and has benefited from good coaching since he's been in the league, so I think he's capable. But all I have to go by is his college game tape and it's very concerning. I also don't like the way he makes himself smaller after taking the snap and goes back to pass; too much of a knee bend and he can't afford that as a guy who barely breaks 6' and downfield vision is a challenge to begin with.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes. This is what they want to run, I think. That's why I think it's ultimately between EJ and Tyrod. If Cassel has to go in, they can switch up the O to a more west coast philosophy, which teams won't have game tape on and it could give us an edge. If we were in that situation mid-late season, hopefully that edge keeps our playoff hopes alive.

Some say the reason why SF failed last year is that Kaep has not developed into a sufficient pocket passer.

Precisely. And it must have frustrated Roman to no end. Teams adjusted to the read option, the rollouts and moving pockets became easy to defend, and teams forced him to stay in the pocket where he couldn't make hay consistently.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm certainly not saying he can't. From what I gather, he's very intelligent, has a great work ethic, and has benefited from good coaching since he's been in the league, so I think he's capable. But all I have to go by is his college game tape and it's very concerning. I also don't like the way he makes himself smaller after taking the snap and goes back to pass; too much of a knee bend and he can't afford that as a guy who barely breaks 6' and downfield vision is a challenge to begin with.

GO BILLS!!!

Precisely. And it must have frustrated Roman to no end. Teams adjusted to the read option, the rollouts and moving pockets became easy to defend, and teams forced him to stay in the pocket where he couldn't make hay consistently.

GO BILLS!!!

Good post K-9. I don't disagree. I guess I am more in the camp of I don't like the other options so I will give him some leash. It isn't hard to think that he could be the worst of the 3. He could also be the best. The unknown at this point is more appealing than getting bottom 5 QB play which is what I think EJ and Cassel provide. I am more than willing to let it play out.

I saw the game that EJ played last year in Houston and it was the worst game that I have ever seen a guy play. That isn't hyperbole either. It is burned into my memory. There were guys running free all over the field that he just didn't see. He was regressing when he got pulled and looked completely lost.

I know that he hasn't had the best coaching or opportunities but he looks like a less decisive Trent Edwards at this point. I hope that I am wrong but I have seen some qualities that I don't think can be overcome. It has nothing to do with the stats to me and everything to do with the things that he struggles with. He has trouble seeing the field and with accuracy. He has the personality and build to be a good QB.

In some ways to me it is like Spiller if this makes sense. Spiller will never be a great RB because he can't see the holes. He may be a good offensive weapon but vision is a necessity to be a good RB. These traits to me are inate and not things that you improve upon. You can improve upon arm strength but anticipation is instinctual. It is a feel for the game and I can't think of anyone that ever developed that. To me, Fitz was really good at that but he is so limited physically that he could never overcome it.

Taylor to me is the unknown. He has an effortless motion and is a great athlete. I'm willing to see if he can combine these traits as he has never been given a chance to do so. I don't think that EJ can develop instincts and I don't think that Cassel can develop physical skills. Again, I am not thrilled with the options but he has as much of a chance as anyone.

Fair enough but is it fair to judge any qb by their worse game? It's also a game where Watkins had several drops as well as Mike Williams, who dropped a big pass. Joe Flacco, coming off a SB win, had a worse game against hOuston.

Again, if it was just EJ who regressed offensively, it's one thing. But pretty much every veteran offensive player, besides your favorite Hogan :), regressed under Marrone. They all get a pass, especially a 3rd year qb.

Time will tell.

P.s. Spiller, IMO, is going to show what good coaching can do for a player. It's going to make Marrone look even worse if he has a really good year.

Edited by C.Biscuit97