Bills' Mandatory Minicamp: June 16-18

After one mini-camp practice. This is happening now.

Lets not get carried away now....I said I am warming to Tyrod Taylor.

5th year in the league with NO starts at QB that I can find; = 5th year rookie FWIW. Sorry for the confusion.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14163/tyrod-taylor

i HOPE THE KID LIGHTS IT UP! I just don't see it.

You do know he was playing behind Flacco right.....who stayed healthy?

The ravens liked him enough to keep him in that 2nd position all those years?

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is not true.

The first thing I said is he has a strong arm. That has zero to do with accuracy. He is said to have pretty good accuracy on the long ball, too. But all I said was that he has a strong arm. In order to scare defenses you need one and he has it.

The second thing I said is you don't need him to stand back and survey the defense and throw strikes as much. That LESSENS the need for accuracy. Of course you want a QB to be as accurate as possible, and I wasn't making any judgment whatsoever about his accuracy on middle range throws. But what I said was, that kind of offense would lessen the importance on pinpoint accuracy, because there would be far less of those plays, which is usually of extreme importance.

I would agree to some extent that a QB still needs to be accurate on WR screen passes, and that the difference between a pass that is even 6 inches off target hurts the play in so far as the WR catching it on the dead run and being able to avoid the first tackle. But it's still the easiest pass a NFL QB can make, and there is no indication whatsoever that Taylor is inaccurate on those plays. In fact, Corey Graham has said that he's a very good passer and he went against him in practice for two years. On gr today there was a Ravens reporter who watched him for four years and said he is a good passer and there is no reason he cannot play well as a starter.

I don't think that we're doing a high powered/up tempo offense no matter who we have at QB. But I agree that if Tyrod winds up being the guy, and that he can be reasonably accurate, he absolutely can do well without needing pinpoint accuracy.

The Bills have playmakers who can do wonders with YAC on short passes (Sammy, Shady, Harvin, Clay) and guys who can truck it on the ground (Shady, Freddy, Karlos). Really, as long as you can make teams pay if they play too close by being able to hit a few deep passes you can run a working offense.

That's largely contingent upon the time and windows that will have to be provided by the OL.

Read-option, play action, and rolling pockets with Tyrod. Same thing Roman did with Kaepernick. We know he's a threat to run. The question is if he's capable of spreading the field vertically with his arm. If he can, he'll be very effective.

I don't think that we're doing a high powered/up tempo offense no matter who we have at QB. But I agree that if Tyrod winds up being the guy, and that he can be reasonably accurate, he absolutely can do well without needing pinpoint accuracy.

The Bills have playmakers who can do wonders with YAC on short passes (Sammy, Shady, Harvin, Clay) and guys who can truck it on the ground (Shady, Freddy, Karlos). Really, as long as you can make teams pay if they play too close by being able to hit a few deep passes you can run a working offense.

Right. That's exactly what I am saying. And you still need an NFL capable QB. A lot of good running college QBs really don't have the arm strength to play NFL QB. Taylor does.

I'm not even saying I expect him to win the job. I actually don't. I just said that IF the coaches decide to do this unusual offense because of the strange assortment of players they have, he would be the guy to run it.

I don't think KtD is talking about up tempo so much as counting the number of guys in the box. If there are >7 then he would suggest TT launches it to a speed demon. If there are <=7, we run it. A little over simple, but I think that's what hes saying.

Read-option, play action, and rolling pockets with Tyrod. Same thing Roman did with Kaepernick. We know he's a threat to run. The question is if he's capable of spreading the field vertically with his arm. If he can, he'll be very effective.

Absolutely, but he's such an obviously unknown at this juncture with so few reps in live NFL action.

You know.....I never did this before today but has anyone actually taken a look at the ravens forums for fan opinions on Tyrod Taylor.

I am on page 3 of an old post there and not ONE fan has a bad thing to say about him....positives on character.....no bitching.......waited for his time and took advantage of him......quality guy....many think he is the best qb out of the 3 we have

Interesting.......

Football is shorts is football out of sorts and I refuse to make any judgments based on three minicamp sessions. Now from July 31 and forward........

Same here.

I read these threads more for the entertainment value of posters shifting comments/opinions than anything definitive about what happens on the field...

I don't think KtD is talking about up tempo so much as counting the number of guys in the box. If there are >7 then he would suggest TT launches it to a speed demon. If there are <=7, we run it. A little over simple, but I think that's what hes saying.

Yep. I wasn't referring to up tempo at all.

You know.....I never did this before today but has anyone actually taken a look at the ravens forums for fan opinions on Tyrod Taylor.

I am on page 3 of an old post there and not ONE fan has a bad thing to say about him....positives on character.....no bitching.......waited for his time and took advantage of him......quality guy....many think he is the best qb out of the 3 we have

Interesting.......

Yeah, I have no idea why I haven't done that yet myself. I hear a lot of positives, but it's certainly easy to be so positive with no real regular season game experience.

Lets not get carried away now....I said I am warming to Tyrod Taylor.

You do know he was playing behind Flacco right.....who stayed healthy?

The ravens liked him enough to keep him in that 2nd position all those years?

1. Correct. 4 years. Backup. No starts.

2. Well, apparently not anymore. His contract was up, and they didn't resign him, he was signed by Buffalo as a free agent I believe. Probably quite cheaply?

2. Well, apparently not anymore. His contract was up, and they didn't resign him, he was signed by Buffalo as a free agent I believe. Probably quite cheaply?

I imagine Tyrod wanted to sign where he would have a chance to start.

I'm guessing that they wanted him back, but he wanted a chance to compete for a starting job. That in itself is a great thing. Then Bills beat Denver out for his services, despite a rumored lesser contract.

I presume you're asking since you ended that with a question mark. I am glad you're asking because you seem to not know anything about the topic. Tyrod was offered an extension last year and the Ravens told him they'd re-sign him right up until he chose to sign with the Bills. Make not mistake about it, Baltimore wanted him back. The Broncos, with Gary Kubiak as their new head coach, reportedly offered Taylor more $ to back-up P. Manning than he accepted to compete here. Note, Kubiak was the Ravens' offensive coordinator last year, so he likely knows Taylor's capabilities as well as anyone in the NFL.

I'm guessing that they wanted him back, but he wanted a chance to compete for a starting job. That in itself is a great thing. Then Bills beat Denver out for his services, despite a rumored lesser contract.

Who, of course, just hired his OC from last year on the Ravens, Gary Kubiak, as their coach. That is the best sign of all.

Who, of course, just hired his OC from last year on the Ravens, Gary Kubiak, as their coach. That is the best sign of all.

Doing it on the field is the best sign of all and that "obviously" has yet to come.

hotels-com-captain-obvious-please-go-awa

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

And the current Bills coach's woody for Tyrod

Interesting.......

Who hates on the backup QB, much less on who never played? If he played bad in one start, people would want him cut. Fans are so fickle.

And the current Bills coach's woody for Tyrod

He also had a woody for Sanchez. Might be best to keep Rex away from the offense.

I presume you're asking since you ended that with a question mark. I am glad you're asking because you seem to not know anything about the topic. Tyrod was offered an extension last year and the Ravens told him they'd re-sign him right up until he chose to sign with the Bills. Make not mistake about it, Baltimore wanted him back. The Broncos, with Gary Kubiak as their new head coach, reportedly offered Taylor more $ to back-up P. Manning than he accepted to compete here. Note, Kubiak was the Ravens' offensive coordinator last year, so he likely knows Taylor's capabilities as well as anyone in the NFL.

OK. You can presume so. And I am going to presume you are no English teacher?

Dude.....come on....retort or get off the pot.....dont grammar nazi out of it

Dude, he was being a smart a$$, so he can take some...

And yes, I had a ? because I didn't know: that's what they're for.

And just for the record: Freaking Thad Lewis signed for $745k 1 yr.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

Edited by San-O

I think I've said it in other threads, but the only QB I don't want to win this job (of the top 3) is Cassel -- and I hope it's obvious he's in 3rd place when we get through TC.

This is where I'm at.

I think I've said it in other threads, but the only QB I don't want to win this job (of the top 3) is Cassel -- and I hope it's obvious he's in 3rd place when we get through TC.

No doubt that's what would be best for the franchise.

Me too. Especially after seeing the pic of him going to the Derby with Disgraced Quarterback Tom Brady** and company...