Bills' Mandatory Minicamp: June 16-18

This sums up the value that I see in Goodwin. I don't see this team surgically picking teams apart with a controlled passing game. They are going to have to make some big plays in the passing game. Fortunately they have some guys that can be dangerous with the ball in their hands (Watkins, Harvin, McCoy).

I agree about us not surgically passing the ball. The deep threat is going to be necessary to make sure other teams don't pack the box.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@SalSports: Chris Hogan is such a good route runner. Very precise. #NotBreakingNews

@john_wawrow: Still can't understand how EJ hesitates on 7-on-7 drills.

@mikerodak: Matt Simms slow, slow, slow to get the ball out in 7-on-7s. Broken up by Tarpley, Cockrell and Gaines on his only 3 reps.

@SalSports: Jimmy Gaines got beat badly by MarQueis Gray on out and up. Cassel found him for TD. Donnie Henderson was not happy.

RE: EJ

@SalSports: @ChrisTrapasso Seems to be seeing field well. But much easier with no live pass rush. Short-armed a couple outs again earlier.

@SalSports: Twice in a row Tyrod Taylor has worked the middle of the field in 7/7 red zone work for a nice touchdown pass.

Edited by YoloinOhio

@SalSports: Chris Hogan is such a good route runner. Very precise. #NotBreakingNews

@john_wawrow: Still can't understand how EJ hesitates on 7-on-7 drills.

@mikerodak: Matt Simms slow, slow, slow to get the ball out in 7-on-7s. Broken up by Tarpley, Cockrell and Gaines on his only 3 reps.

@SalSports: Jimmy Gaines got beat badly by MarQueis Gray on out and up. Cassel found him for TD. Donnie Henderson was not happy.

RE: EJ

@SalSports: @ChrisTrapasso Seems to be seeing field well. But much easier with no live pass rush. Short-armed a couple outs again earlier.

@SalSports: Twice in a row Tyrod Taylor has worked the middle of the field in 7/7 red zone work for a nice touchdown pass.

Uh ohhhhh

Uh ohhhhh

@mikerodak: Strong showing from Tyrod Taylor with 1st team so far today:

11-on-11: 2-4

7-on-7: 4-4

Red zone 7-on-7: 3-3, 2 TDs

@mikerodak: Few bad overthrows from Matt Cassel today, but otherwise pretty good:

11-on-11: 4-7, 1 TD

7-7: 3-5, 1 TD

Red zone 7-7: 1-2, 1 TD

Wonder who he overthrew? Arm strength must be good because our WR are fast

Edited by YoloinOhio

Oh oh, deja vu from '14 minicamp

my thought as well

!!!! He's not blocking on the screen!

@mikerodak: Sammy Watkins taking reps in 11 on 11s for the first time we've seen. Catching screen from Taylor.

@SalSports: Nick O'Leary just made a nice one-handed grab heading to sideline. As usual, the TEs get a lot of rotation

@SalSports: Tyrod Taylor is having a good day. Ross Cockrell is not.

@mikerodak: EJ Manuel getting on the action. OL handles double A-gap blitz and hits Easley in stride down sideline over Brooks, Rambo

@SalSports: EJ threads ball between 2 DB down sideline on almost all-out blitz to Easley for TD. Next play short to Hogan who makes catch off tip for TD

@john_wawrow: EJ great pass up left sideline to Marquis. Then throws behind Hogan, but Hogan makes great tip to make catch.

@SalSports: Tyrod Taylor is having a good day. Ross Cockrell is not.

@mikerodak: EJ Manuel getting on the action. OL handles double A-gap blitz and hits Easley in stride down sideline over Brooks, Rambo

@SalSports: EJ threads ball between 2 DB down sideline on almost all-out blitz to Easley for TD. Next play short to Hogan who makes catch off tip for TD

@john_wawrow: EJ great pass up left sideline to Marquis. Then throws behind Hogan, but Hogan makes great tip to make catch.

There we go!

@buffalobills

Line 'em up. #BillsMinicamp Who will be starting September 13th?

CHolt2sWcAEFrqp.jpg

Q: Expectations are high... Rex: "And they should be! Great football team and some pretty great coaches."

CHopXllWUAA3WTo.jpg

Rex on the QB competition: "There won't be any separation between the QBs until the pads come on." Come #BillsCamp, it's on.

EJ great pass up left sideline to Marquis. Then throws behind Hogan, but Hogan makes great tip to make catch.

friggen tweets

EJ was bad / heistant, EJ great pass, EJ bad (slightly) behind WR but catchable?

But he's slow in 7 on 7s with the second team! :o

tweets are for twits.

damn microwave mentality.

I am starting to become a Tyrod Taylor fan really fast

- He is actually making the throws

- He brings the ability of an extra threat on the field......very fast

- I want to see how durable he is....does he slide to not take hits....does he just run for first downs like a starting QB should

He is going to be given a legit chance to win this thing.......we might have something here

- I want to see how durable he is....does he slide to not take hits....does he just run for first downs like a starting QB should

He is going to be given a legit chance to win this thing.......we might have something here

After spending all the money they did this off-season on offensive weapons, and being his 1st year HC of this team, Rex Ryan is going to start a 5th year rookie at QB after what he had to endure with Sanchez and Smith in New York?

If he (Ryan) is going to fail in this his 1st year in Buffalo, i will be behind a veteran game manager: I just don't see Taylor (or E.J.) starting. IMO.

It's possible that we, and the Bills first thought they would be this running team, the ground and pound, with no franchise QB, as well as a great defense and good special teams.

Then a few things happened.

1. The trade for Shady who is more of a home run hitter.

2. The signing of Harvin.

3. The signing of Taylor.

4. The signing of Clay.

5. The realization of the coaches that Goodwin is pretty good as well as Hogan.

All of those together could have changed Rex, Roman and Whaley's idea for the team's offense. It could have gone from we want a controlled short passing game (which it still might be of course, or will be a good portion of the time) to we are going to run McCoy a lot but play with a bunch of speed receivers in there and throw the ball down the field. If you take away that, we will run more. If you crowd the box we will beat you deep with three fast guys.

If that is the idea, Taylor could easily become the front runner. He has a strong arm. He obviously can run and scramble. But you may not need him to drop back much, set up, go through his progressions and throw from the pocket all that much. I've never really seen a team do that but it's pretty easy to imagine. And we would still, of course, throw a lot of quick screens to Sammy and Harvin and get the ball in Woods and Clay's hands quickly. That would be very tough to defend.

After spending all the money they did this off-season on offensive weapons, and being his 1st year HC of this team, Rex Ryan is going to start a 5th year rookie at QB after what he had to endure with Sanchez and Smith in New York?

If he (Ryan) is going to fail in this his 1st year in Buffalo, i will be behind a veteran game manager: I just don't see Taylor (or E.J.) starting. IMO.

What does that mean? Not saying Tyrod is the next Russell Wilson but you say that like backups never become starters.

I'm pretty sure you can't be a fifth year rookie.

I'm not saying Tyrod will be the guy, but I have to imagine that if the ability to pass the ball is equal you go with the younger, cheaper guys whose contracts don't end this year.

If that is the idea, Taylor could easily become the front runner. He has a strong arm. He obviously can run and scramble. But you may not need him to drop back much, set up, go through his progressions and throw from the pocket all that much. I've never really seen a team do that but it's pretty easy to imagine. And we would still, of course, throw a lot of quick screens to Sammy and Harvin and get the ball in Woods and Clay's hands quickly. That would be very tough to defend.

Spot on. It becomes a numbers game. No matter what the defense decides to do, the Bills have the offensive personnel to create a mismatch by at least one. Throw in a QB who can be efficient with his arm and be absolutely deadly with his feet, the defense has to account for him on every play and now is put at a two-man disadvantage, at least.

Edited by scribo

There is NOT a QB on this team that prevents Rex from liking Tyrod and starting him....tried to trade for him while he was with the jets

edit: WTF does "5th year rookie even mean"

This guy is Scott Chandler at another position.....now I know Scott has been sent packing but that is because we got a top TE in clay on the team.

It means that Tyrod sat behind a franchise QB that never got hurt and has been running NFL scout teams for the past 3 years.....that does NOT make him a rookie.

It makes him a unknown......and since franchise QBs are counted on one hand....u turn over every rock trying to find one.

Edited by John from Hemet

It's possible that we, and the Bills first thought they would be this running team, the ground and pound, with no franchise QB, as well as a great defense and good special teams.

Then a few things happened.

1. The trade for Shady who is more of a home run hitter.

2. The signing of Harvin.

3. The signing of Taylor.

4. The signing of Clay.

5. The realization of the coaches that Goodwin is pretty good as well as Hogan.

All of those together could have changed Rex, Roman and Whaley's idea for the team's offense. It could have gone from we want a controlled short passing game (which it still might be of course, or will be a good portion of the time) to we are going to run McCoy a lot but play with a bunch of speed receivers in there and throw the ball down the field. If you take away that, we will run more. If you crowd the box we will beat you deep with three fast guys.

Everything you say in that last paragraph requires a very accurate QB who is on target with his WRs. From what I have seen in print, Taylor is an inaccurate QB. If that is the case, then having the speed WRs is useless.

Everything you say in that last paragraph requires a very accurate QB who is on target with his WRs. From what I have seen in print, Taylor is an inaccurate QB. If that is the case, then having the speed WRs is useless.

Time to set the print aside......and look at what is actually happening now.....

The most accurate QB today (and with the ones) was Tyrod Taylor

You're right. They won't be running a west coast passing system with Tyrod. That's just not what he does.

Edited by LeGOATski

That is not true.

The first thing I said is he has a strong arm. That has zero to do with accuracy. He is said to have pretty good accuracy on the long ball, too. But all I said was that he has a strong arm. In order to scare defenses you need one and he has it.

The second thing I said is you don't need him to stand back and survey the defense and throw strikes as much. That LESSENS the need for accuracy. Of course you want a QB to be as accurate as possible, and I wasn't making any judgment whatsoever about his accuracy on middle range throws. But what I said was, that kind of offense would lessen the importance on pinpoint accuracy, because there would be far less of those plays, which is usually of extreme importance.

I would agree to some extent that a QB still needs to be accurate on WR screen passes, and that the difference between a pass that is even 6 inches off target hurts the play in so far as the WR catching it on the dead run and being able to avoid the first tackle. But it's still the easiest pass a NFL QB can make, and there is no indication whatsoever that Taylor is inaccurate on those plays. In fact, Corey Graham has said that he's a very good passer and he went against him in practice for two years. On gr today there was a Ravens reporter who watched him for four years and said he is a good passer and there is no reason he cannot play well as a starter.

I'm pretty sure you can't be a fifth year rookie.

I'm not saying Tyrod will be the guy, but I have to imagine that if the ability to pass the ball is equal you go with the younger, cheaper guys whose contracts don't end this year.

5th year in the league with NO starts at QB that I can find; = 5th year rookie FWIW. Sorry for the confusion.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14163/tyrod-taylor

i HOPE THE KID LIGHTS IT UP! I just don't see it.

That is not true.

The first thing I said is he has a strong arm. That has zero to do with accuracy. He is said to have pretty good accuracy on the long ball, too. But all I said was that he has a strong arm. In order to scare defenses you need one and he has it.

The second thing I said is you don't need him to stand back and survey the defense and throw strikes as much. That LESSENS the need for accuracy. Of course you want a QB to be as accurate as possible, and I wasn't making any judgment whatsoever about his accuracy on middle range throws. But what I said was, that kind of offense would lessen the importance on pinpoint accuracy, because there would be far less of those plays, which is usually of extreme importance.

I would agree to some extent that a QB still needs to be accurate on WR screen passes, and that the difference between a pass that is even 6 inches off target hurts the play in so far as the WR catching it on the dead run and being able to avoid the first tackle. But it's still the easiest pass a NFL QB can make, and there is no indication whatsoever that Taylor is inaccurate on those plays. In fact, Corey Graham has said that he's a very good passer and he went against him in practice for two years. On gr today there was a Ravens reporter who watched him for four years and said he is a good passer and there is no reason he cannot play well as a starter.

It sounded like you were talking about short, quick passes of the west coast systen variety. Asking Tyrod to stand tall in the pocket and consistently make those throws seems unlikely.

It sounded like you were talking about short, quick passes of the west coast systen variety. Asking Tyrod to stand tall in the pocket and consistently make those throws seems unlikely.

That's largely contingent upon the time and windows that will have to be provided by the OL.