The press speculates on EJ's future

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to chalk this up to Mike Florio and Joe Buscaglia playing the boringest game of "Telephone" ever.

But, it gets the clicks.

Yet it's stunning the number of organizations that have picked up J-Bugs column like it's breaking news.

EJ's contract is fully guaranteed for the next 2 seasons. I would think he gets his chance this season . It would only make sense to keep him ,trade him but not cut.

If he is not the starter after his 3rd season , could he be a decent back up here ?

It's hard to judge a QB playing behind such a poor OL so far to be fair to him.

I actually think there is a good possibility the story was leaked. That was what happened last time Joe B "broke a story" which was dinner with Bryce Petty.

Maybe just to light a fire under EJ

Also the fact that Carucci had a similar story with a bit of a different angle - the Bills have used him to leak info in the past

I think EJM (if he hasn't been told outright by Whaley/Ryan) is already operating under the impression that he has to win the job at this training camp. I don't think he is an idiot.

I think this story is feed for the fans. Buffalo QB talk is guaranteed hits for any writer.

Edited by HoF Watkins

these reporters just have to find something to talk about and get us to read...nobody knows how EJ will turn out but we do know he's going to get a shot to show he should be the guy over the next few months and that's it for today. Good Luck to him and hope he gets to throw this crap back in the face of all of these reporters and critics.

I haven't waded through this entire thread so forgive me if this has been stated.

But just so I have this straight: If EJ barely loses the QB battle to Cassel but vastly outplays Tyrod then EJ will be traded for a 7th? Or if EJ loses to Tyrod and Cassel suffers a season ending injury in the pre-season he is obviously getting traded.

The mean, he's obviously gone if he doesn't win the starting gig, right? There is no need to see how the pre-season unfolds otherwise.

No, but you can learn a lot from watching him practice, play, the way he calls signals in the huddle, audible, etc...

So, he developed himself.

Boy, all these Bills are about to dump EJ threads are popping up all over the place. So you have to wonder why they suddenly appeared at the same time and I'm not referring to the reposting of Joe B's or Carucci's pieces. It could be a coincidence or could be not.

Having said that, I see why he wouldn't make the final roster if he doesn't win the starting job. he has proven that he can be an effective backup in the league. But, Bills already have a lot invested in a backup position with Cassell & Taylor. It would be silly to have three No. 2 QBs on the roster. Of course it would be equally silly to cut EJ outright as there would be demand for a decent No. 2 who's still relatively cheap.

He has? Everywhere but on the field maybe. I don't think it matters much whether he stays or goes (if he can't win the starting job), but, he wasn't given an opportunity by the marrone to see whether he could be an effective backup.

Rex gets a woody for QBs that can run like this. He traded for Tebow, and signed Vick. Perhaps its his defensive mind has a harder time figuring out how to defend them. If it looks like EJ's arm is no better than this guys, I could see him reasoning he might as well stay with the more Mobile guy.

I thought the owner or GM "forced" TIMTEBOW!!! on him.

Because Tyrod is a less accurate less athletic Michael Vick. Let that sink in just for a bit.

Can't we at least wait to see what he has before people start in with "I told you so."

THANK YOU JIM KELLY!! Put the naysayers to rest

Yeah, that did it. <_<

He has? Everywhere but on the field maybe. I don't think it matters much whether he stays or goes (if he can't win the starting job), but, he wasn't given an opportunity by the marrone to see whether he could be an effective backup.

I think he's played well enough to show that he belongs in the league, just not as a consistent every Sunday starter, yet.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. You're better than that, very lame statement.

I disagree (obviously).

Favre didn't do it.

McCarthy did some, but, you got it or you don't. Rogers has the whole package and I think the "development" angle is very overrated.

And of course, "if he doesn't improve" he is in trouble. That's some keen insight, JB.

Seriously.

I think EJM (if he hasn't been told outright by Whaley/Ryan) is already operating under the impression that he has to win the job at this training camp. I don't think he is an idiot.

I think this story is feed for the fans. Buffalo QB talk is guaranteed hits for any writer.

Holy crap, I actually agree with you.

Seriously.

Holy crap, I actually agree with you.

We have agreed on many topics in the past. I know that hurts, but it's true.

This "news" is just grist for the NFL fans. I bet every team has some overblown topic jamming the news feeds of it's fans (especially New England!). Just pick a dull team say, the Carolina Panthers, and click on all the stories about them. Eventually you will be inundated with the latest topic that their fans are dwelling on.

Doesn't matter. He had more question marks coming out of college. And to reduce any game down to a battle between QBs is shortsighted. There are 20 other guys who have something to say about the outcome of any particular game. But if you need to make the ACC championship games the telltale sign that Taylor was better than Manuel in college, have at it. There isn't a scout on the planet that agrees.

GO BILLS!!!

Yep. 20 other dudes.

FSU - mostly 4 and 5 stars

VT - mostly 3 stars, occasional 4 and 5 (TT).

Not a scout on the planet thought EJ was first rounder, or that Brady was 1st ballot NFL hall of fame QB, or that Russell Wilson was an NFL MVP QB.

As many have said on here, just want the best option for this new season. It's up to the coaches to decide. I think one discounts any of the 3 (not Tuel) at their own peril. Any of them could break out and be special in 2015.

Go Bills

Well, you heard it! The OC says the rumors are silly so that settles it!

lol

Of course they aren't going to come out now and say "well, EJ is pretty much in a win the starting gig or get cut scenario now."

Let's see what they actually DO. Last season Whaley and Marrone talked up EJ non-stop, went "all in" with Watkins, then went out and got a disinterested out of shape drunk guy to play QB because they panicked that their 1st round QB didn't have it.

I do believe 100% that it will be an open competition. I just don't believe EJ has enough skill to win a truly open competition. We'll see though.

I think the team is hoping and praying that somehow EJ shows up and looks like a totally different QB, while at the same time planning for the likely scenario that he is yet another 1st round bust, in which case you just move on.