Bills Release Jeff Tuel and Claim Matt Simms

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My memory of Jeff Tuel will be watching him come in to replace EJ in the Browns game. His performance that night was so awful that I was sincerely embarrassed for the guy--I really felt sorry for him. He just couldn't do anything right. He was clearly out of his league--I was literally cringing. If it was a boxing match and I was in his corner, I'd have thrown in the towel. Not sure if it was him, Hackett, Marrone or all of the above. Wish him luck...

Wouldnt be surprised if jets sign tuel. He seems like a gailey kind of guy

In two short pages of this thread, you've managed to make four incredibly stupid posts. Congrats!!

Just saw on twitter and heard on WGR

@HBalzer721

The Bills claimed QB Matt Simms on waivers from the Jets and waived QB Jeff Tuel.

@buffalobills

The Bills have claimed QB Matt Simms and waived QB Jeff Tuel. DETAILS: http://bufbills.co/4wXn8U

rex move

Can we stop talking about Jeff Tuel now?

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

My memory of Jeff Tuel will be watching him come in to replace EJ in the Browns game. His performance that night was so awful that I was sincerely embarrassed for the guy--I really felt sorry for him. He just couldn't do anything right. He was clearly out of his league--I was literally cringing. If it was a boxing match and I was in his corner, I'd have thrown in the towel. Not sure if it was him, Hackett, Marrone or all of the above. Wish him luck...

The play I remember in the Cleveland game is a beautiful 40 yard rainbow to TJ along the sideline. Hit TJ in both hands and he dropped it. Then TJ did Tuel again in the KC game with the fumblerooski-6 that essentially ended Tuel's career in Buffalo. Damn shame, kid looked pretty good for a rook. But the NFL is a fickle business, and you don't get many chances if you're not a high draft pick. All the best to Jeff Tuel.

Then there is the Chiefs game where he throws an INT in the endzone basically flipping the scores where we would have gone up 17-3, and instead it's 10-10 and we lose the game.

Later Tuel. I don't know if he'll even get a back up job anywhere. He'll probably end up on the practice squad somewhere, and never see a regular season game again.

Matt Simms looked ok in pre-season before, but has lost every regular season game he's played over a couple of years.

Tuel was a deer in headlights in that Cleveland game, and the coaches should have had him better prepared for it.

In that KC game the Bills were dominating on offense with the run game in the first half over that Chiefs team with their vaunted top 5 defense. It was a thing of beauty to behold as Fredex & Spiller were killing them in that first half to the tune of 6.3 yards per rush. 470 yards of offense in that game with 38 rushes for 241 yards rushing almost all in the first half. I can recall thinking that the Bills coaches are getting it done perfectly in the first half by running it down the Chiefs throats, and having Tuel manage the game by limiting his passes.

Then Hackett outsmarted himself in the opening drive of the 3rd quarter by allowing Tuel to throw into the end zone at 3rd down and one at the Chiefs one yard line. I know that Fred didn't get any yardage on his first two runs up the middle. But still, it was all run plays the first half that were dominating the game, and the Bills coaches could have played it safe and tried one last run. If that had failed then kick a FG, and the score is 13-3 with the Bills defense dominating the Chiefs offense. The KC offense only scored 3 FG's all game, and had the Bills not scored again all game the score would have been a 9-13 win. JMO to play it conservative with a kid who went 4-26 in college.

Now that the Chiefs had a 3 point lead the running game plan went out the window. Hackett had Tuel throw for 14 passes in the first half and 25 passes in the 2nd half. Most of those in the 2nd half were incomplete because the Bills stopped running the ball, and that KC defense could now just focus on stopping the pass.

This game showed me that Hackett was no better in panicking during a game then pass happy Chan Gailey once his team fell behind in points. In fact he became much worse an offensive playcaller because he had idea how to properly setup an NFL run offense other then constantly running up the middle. Its more of a credit to the elusiveness of CJ, FJ in gaining all those yards then it was the blocking schemes.

Here it is folks. Tuel snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013110300/2013/REG9/chiefs@bills#menu=drivechart%7CcontentId%3A0ap2000000275308&tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay

That's doubtful since Simms never played for Greg Roman

I'm holding out hope for EJ.

That said if he doesn't win the job outright in camp, I think it's over. He's out of excuses

EJ could lose the QB competition in camp/preseason games, then start during the regular season either because of injury or poor play from the starter and win back the job through his play on the field.

Football is a funny game. From the reports, EJ looked horrible in last year's training camp, yet he played well in the first two real games against Chicago on the road and at home against Miami. The only real judge for whether a guy is an NFL QB worth anything is in regular season games.

There seems to be an accelerated timeline for Manuel. What was once a normal three year window for QBs, has now become only two years for this one guy all of a sudden. I just don't get the rush to see him leave.