Your favorite thing about going to Bills games

I only get back to Buffalo once every five years and attending brings back fifty years of memories from the old War Memorial Stadium to the first pre - season game at the Ralph, then called Rich Stadium in 1973.

I once watched a game at the old LA Collesium in 1985 when Eric Dickerson was running wild; the crowd seemed bored by Buffalo standards. Nothing like a home game on a cool, crisp, sunny autumn day with a sell out crowd.

When I lived there it was walking in early to see teams pre-game activities. The calm routine before the storm. Now that I'm an out-of-towner, it's the mood in the city the night before. People find out you're in town (often with my kids) for the game, and they buy you drinks and beg you to come to their tailgate. I don't need the drinks, or even the tailgating (though no complaints!), but I crave that atmosphere. I haven't found another place like it.

We make the two hour drive, get to Ted's as soon as they open, have a hotdog & a Loganberry, then park & walk up to the gate just as it opens because we love spending pregame in Row 1. Sometimes you get to talk to Bills players, sometimes you get to insult the opponent, sometimes you get to chat with a coach or celebrity... Regardless, you get a good closeup of the team during warmups, and my wife and I absolutely look forward to it as part of our "gameday experience".

One of these days we want to actually get onto the field before the game. That would be incredible.

For 7 hours, and more if I go to the Big Tree, I suddenly inherit 70k+ of the best friends I've ever known.

I've taken:

Bears

Eagles

Ravens

Cowboys

Patriots

49ers

Giants

and Green Bay

fans with me to games, and all of them except the Green Bay guy were shocked by what they saw. Green Bay guy said "just another Packers game" :) But everybody else is amazed by our entire scene. They couldn't get over the genuine, not marketing/manufactured, comeraderie. The Bears fan was completely baffled at the Big Tree. You know how you sorta get mixed around in there, getting out of way of the servers, people going to the bathroom, etc.? The people you came in with end up all over the place, and you end up in a gaggle of new people, but no one cares? Our newly formed gaggle were all talking about the game( high fiving, etc. because it was the 19-0 Miami game). Bears fan quietly asked me if I knew any of these people, because she found it odd that after 5 minutes of conversation, and the way we were acting, I hadn't introduced her to them. She thought I was being rude(damn women).

No, I said. Then, I asked if anybody in the gaggle knew anybody else. No, they said. ;)

Her jaw dropped. :lol: Then she said the phrase I've heard over and over from everybody but Green Bay guy: "I've never seen anything like this." I tell all of them: it may or may not be better, but it is different, and it's ours. (Which means it's not to be F'ed with, Brandon)

Edited by OCinBuffalo

For me it's walking into the stadium and seeing the field for the first time...the temple of football.

I love that view. I fly my boys up for the home opener each year from FL so for us it's going to Mighty Taco, getting a Blasdell Pizza, having a great family party at my dad's house on Saturday in Hamburg, and tailgating with my family on Sunday. My four nephews and a couple of cousins will go to the game, have a blast at tailgating, and as PTR said, there is nothing like walking through the concourse and seeing that field.

The fans are the absolute best. The last two years, my younger son was getting thrown in the air by strangers behind us after a great play. he said to me a couple of years ago it was the best game he's ever been to with sports. I've taken him to hockey, baseball, and NFL games, but he never knew how crazy bills fans are about their team. My oldest son said a couple of years back "wow dad, your not the only crazy bills fan out there. Your all like that". I thought that was kind of funny.

Anyway, good thread.

What's on your pre-game tailgate playlist? Call me cliché, but The Back In Black album gets me pumped every time. Also, seven nation army.

My " get off my lawn" moment. Hate, hate, hate the new trend of everyone blasting music louder than the tailgate next to them. Just rude in my opinion.

For 7 hours, and more if I go to the Big Tree, I suddenly inherit 70k+ of the best friends I've ever known.

I

Her jaw dropped. :lol: Then she said the phrase I've heard over and over from everybody but Green Bay guy: "I've never seen anything like this." I tell all of them: it may or may not be better, but it is different, and it's ours. (Which means it's not to be F'ed with, Brandon)

Funny, I have never set foot in the Big Tree on game day. And have been going to games since day 1 in that place.

For me its walking around before the game and seeing all the tailgating and merch stands

How about you all?

CBF

For me it used to be the campground atmosphere and people sitting around their setups grilling, socializing, and drinks a FEW... some more than others, but generally, it was still pretty high camaraderie. I loved that. The last time I went to a game, it seems the Douche Baggery was dialed up to 11 in many places, and that was a bit embarrassing and sad to see. I witnessed more fights and barfing than I ever have. that was lame.

I can drink till I puke whenever I want, it seems like such a waste to do that at a Bills game when you have the tailgating festivities to enjoy, the food, the friendships, and every once in a while the game when they don't **** the bed.

One of the things I like about going to the Bills games at the Ralph is seeing all of the old school Bills jerseys from former stars as well as not so great players. I used to be a Seahawks season ticket holder and all the fans there wear the current 3 or 4 top name guys and that's it. Used to be Haselbeck and Alexander. Now it's all Sherman, Wilson, and Lynch.

I see people wearing Whitner, Maybin, whatever. Shows you're a real true fan, not some Johnny Come Lately in a Darby jersey.

I have Quinn Early jersey and was going to wear it to a game thinking no one else would have one. There was a guy sitting in my section wearing a Quinn Early jersey! Crazy. I love it.