Football with Built-In PSI Gauge in Development

this is great, until its eventually discovered that Kraft is an investor in the company developing the balls :thumbsup:

The ball also has a tiny speaker so the coaches can yell out the coverages as the QB goes back to pass

Pressure chip aside, why wouldn't today's balls contain a location chip that would allow the refs to pinpoint the position of the ball exactly instead of the "ow it's the Pats**(**); they most likely gotten the first down"...

Pressure chip aside, why wouldn't today's balls contain a location chip that would allow the refs to pinpoint the position of the ball exactly instead of the "ow it's the Pats**(**); they most likely gotten the first down"...

I agree with this. There have been numerous times where the refs have spotted the ball completely wrong(the bills got lucky with this a few times). Also the goal lines should have something to signal the ball crossed.

I agree with this. There have been numerous times where the refs have spotted the ball completely wrong(the bills got lucky with this a few times). Also the goal lines should have something to signal the ball crossed.

How does the chip in the ball know when a players knee or other body part is down? The spotting of the ball will always be an inexact science. This is what coaches challenges are for.

How does the chip in the ball know when a players knee or other body part is down? The spotting of the ball will always be an inexact science. This is what coaches challenges are for.

And where on the ball would you put a chip, each tip? I don't think the logistics make this a good idea at all. They ought to empower the referees to make a call and everyone live with it, but part of the ref's role ois to opt when they want to see a replay because they are unsure.

That said, I do think they should have a camera looking down the goal line from both directions....

Edited by Matt in KC

It's simpler than that.

Just add pressure sensors to pads. Or include the chips in player as well. (elbow or knee hit's 0.00 elevation, then he's down. )Forward Progess is easy to track.

The only exception is if the player voluntarily goes backwards, which is only ruled when it's blatantly obvious anyway. At that point the computer can track when he started going forward again.

Baseball has the same problem. There is technology to get rid of the umpires, but people just want the drama of bad calls. Just look at judges in Tennis being able to over-rule a laser.

Edited by unbillievable

If it bleeds, we can kill it.

New England Front Office: "If it has a computer chip determining internal air pressure, we can alter it to generate false readings."

(Cue psycho laugh) "Mu hah-hah-hah-hah."

@darrenrovell

Football maker working on a built-in pressure gauge, displays signal when ball is 12.5 PSI http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12919064/football-maker-big-game-usa-develops-built-pressure-gauge

CFdX-U-W0AAGAMh.jpg

Brady-proofed!

At least you will know how far the ball travelled or if it broke the plane of the goalline. That would be an improvement over what we have now.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Can they develop a ball with an RF sensor to tell if the ball crosses the goal line before touching the ground. I really think that is much more important.

*just noticed someone else already suggested this.

Edited by Meark

Yours is an interesting post. The question and the answer all appear in the same sentance.

Captain Checkdown is helping develop new technology to train QBs:

@mikerodak

Former Bills QB Trent Edwards has helped develop a virtual reality training device for NFL QBs: http://bit.ly/1cRSpOn

@JohnMurphyShow

New QB training device-using virtual reality--developed by group at @STRIVRlabs. We're live with creator Derek Belch tonight at 830pm

Here's a simple, better idea...let the teams inflate.the ball to whatever psi they want. Then there is no room for "controversy", and fans won't have to question if a team had an advantage.

Hey!---I said that weeks ago. It would be the end of all this nonsense.

No solid argument against it did I hear.

And where on the ball would you put a chip, each tip? I don't think the logistics make this a good idea at all. They ought to empower the referees to make a call and everyone live with it, but part of the ref's role ois to opt when they want to see a replay because they are unsure.

That said, I do think they should have a camera looking down the goal line from both directions....

Both tips and one in the centre, provides 3 measurement points for exact precision.

At least you will know how far the ball travelled or if it broke the plane of the goalline. That would be an improvement over what we have now.

Exactly, they could expand on it with a video/computer-ref that gives the true location to the refs on the field, but the basic should be this.