Brady/Patriots fines

i havent seen much/any of that sentiment. i think the strongest ive heard stops at espn, and a couple articles is some saying that they deserve to be punished but they think that it was a bit harsh. i really havent heard the "he did nothing" media

Solomon "Beeolz" Wilcots and the morning crew on SiriusXM were portraying that narrative.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i havent seen much/any of that sentiment. i think the strongest ive heard stops at espn, and a couple articles is some saying that they deserve to be punished but they think that it was a bit harsh. i really havent heard the "he did nothing" media

That's the exact tone of Sirius NFL Radio. All I've heard is them confusing NFL Policy and this investigation with the law and criminal cases. Pointing out Brady had no reason to hand over his phone (not even what was asked). Pointing out that not producing McNally for a follow up interview isn't the same as not cooperating. There was no solid, definitive proof, etc.

Solomon "Beeolz" Wilcots and the morning crew on SiriusXM were portraying that narrative.

That's the guy.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Considering how we've played in the past against backups... :|

Yeah...

Last year week 17 was Marrone throwing all he had against Brady without the Pats** best offensive weapons and any compelling reason to try. 17-9 does not fill me with an abundance of confidence.

That's the exact tone of Sirius NFL Radio. All I've heard is them confusing NFL Policy and this investigation with the law and criminal cases. Pointing out Brady had no reason to hand over his phone (not even what was asked). Pointing out that not producing McNally for a follow up interview isn't the same as not cooperating. There was no solid, definitive proof, etc.

That's the guy.

I know. I laughed listening to the NFL Network this morning. Total misinformation they spewed regarding the NFL and procedure of asking for bradys texts/emails.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Yeah...

Last year week 17 was Marrone throwing all he had against Brady without the Pats** best offensive weapons and any compelling reason to try. 17-9 does not fill me with an abundance of confidence.

actually we were playing them without Our best player, Dareus, and both starting CBs.

Yeah...

Maybe, look at the 2nd half and what NE accomplished with Garrappolo in the game.

So I wake up this morning, and my first thought is "This is the first day I've woken up when Tom Brady is an acknowledged cheater."

The birds are shining, the sun is chirping, Brady's forever known as a cheater...great day. How's everyone else doing?

So I wake up this morning, and my first thought is "This is the first day I've woken up when Tom Brady is an acknowledged cheater."

The birds are shining, the sun is chirping, Brady's forever known as a cheater...great day. How's everyone else doing?

I think the LSD is still working.

Hey, I'm happy and I think this helps. But I'm a Bills fan...I'm used to us snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. The last time I tried to circle a win in advance it was against the Raiders, and we remember that game...as hard as I try to forget it.

i don't ever circle any game as a W. But to think we have a better chance to beat them with Garoppolo than with Brady is pretty sensible.

There is a good editorial in this morning's Washington Post discussing why Brady and the Pats** deserved the punishment they received. I think it is a fair assessment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/05/10/tom-brady-patriots-can-blame-only-themselves-for-nfls-harsh-deflategate-punishments/

In part:

"The suspension, which is justified, is not about how much of an illicit advantage the Patriots gained (probably not much), the behavior of the NFL (suspect at best) or the flaws within Ted Wells’s report (numerous). Poking those holes dances around the crucial issue: Brady flouted a rule, and then lied about it to the public and to investigators. The latter matters as much as the former."

They're not being punished for the deflated balls. They're being punished because:

1. The intent was to circumvent a rule.

2. Lying

3. Repeat Offense.

It was much harsher than I expected and I think in the end it will be negotiated down to 2 games for Brady and a 500k fine and a lower draft pick.

There is a good editorial in this morning's Washington Post discussing why Brady and the Pats** deserved the punishment they received. I think it is a fair assessment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/05/10/tom-brady-patriots-can-blame-only-themselves-for-nfls-harsh-deflategate-punishments/

In part:

"The suspension, which is justified, is not about how much of an illicit advantage the Patriots gained (probably not much), the behavior of the NFL (suspect at best) or the flaws within Ted Wellss report (numerous). Poking those holes dances around the crucial issue: Brady flouted a rule, and then lied about it to the public and to investigators. The latter matters as much as the former."

which is why I don't think he succeeds in the appeal unless he turns over the phone

They're not being punished for the deflated balls. They're being punished because:

1. The intent was to circumvent a rule.

2. Lying

3. Repeat Offense.

It was much harsher than I expected and I think in the end it will be negotiated down to 2 games for Brady and a 500k fine and a lower draft pick.

It would be a very poor optic for the league to back down here, unless TB is able to table new info/evidence that clearly exonerates him.

Pats are repeat offenders and the offence is tarnishing the integrity of the game. They got their butts kicked hard and they fully deserved it.

i hate to be a cynic here, but sure you can. we all have bent/broken rules to some degree. and we normally dont face much in the way of repercussions if its inconsequential or commonplace....

I've bent or found loopholes around rules many times myself....but I can honestly say that I have never broken the rules in any game/sport that I have played, and I imagine that there are many people similar.

It is a sad indictment on society that so many people feel that breaking rules is acceptable.

which is why I don't think he succeeds in the appeal unless he turns over the phone

I said this before but want to know what you think. Why would turning over his phone help his appeal? An appeal here is to say you were wronged by the punishment handed out for your crime. It is not like being paroled for good behavior over time or let off early for good behavior. His punishment as stated by Vincent was as much for not cooperating. I don't think you can cooperate after the fact and have your sentence reduced. That is not cooperating it's admitting guilt that got you the rightful penalty in the first place. There is really zero basis for appeal here.

I said this before but want to know what you think. Why would turning over his phone help his appeal? An appeal here is to say you were wronged by the punishment handed out for your crime. It is not like being paroled for good behavior over time or let off early for good behavior. His punishment as stated by Vincent was as much for not cooperating. I don't think you can cooperate after the fact and have your sentence reduced. That is not cooperating it's admitting guilt that got you the rightful penalty in the first place. There is really zero basis for appeal here.

Lost in all these discussions is that the league disciplinary policy still doesn't go much beyond "Goodell's whim." And I don't know why anyone would trust Goodell's whim, particularly after his absolutely asinine "two games for hitting a woman, and infinity-plus-one more for being caught on video" handling of Ray Rice.

Sure Brady embarrassed the league, which I'm sure Goodell sees as the bigger issue (see: "hitting a woman" vs. "getting caught on video hitting a woman.") But suspending your marquee player embarrasses the league as well. And face it, Goodell's not strong enough to do the right thing because it's right - he'll wait for the owners and all-important sponsor feedback, then decide what's "appropriate."

Lost in all these discussions is that the league disciplinary policy still doesn't go much beyond "Goodell's whim." And I don't know why anyone would trust Goodell's whim, particularly after his absolutely asinine "two games for hitting a woman, and infinity-plus-one more for being caught on video" handling of Ray Rice.

Sure Brady embarrassed the league, which I'm sure Goodell sees as the bigger issue (see: "hitting a woman" vs. "getting caught on video hitting a woman.") But suspending your marquee player embarrasses the league as well. And face it, Goodell's not strong enough to do the right thing because it's right - he'll wait for the owners and all-important sponsor feedback, then decide what's "appropriate."

He may have stumbled upon doing the right thing here though.

And frankly, I think the bigger the punishment Brady* and the Pats** get the better it is for the league. Most fans of the league hate the Pats** and Brady* and think they cheat. The prevailing thought yesterday seemed to be more, "Wow, I didn't think they had the guts to do this" more than the Pats** and Brady* got too little or got too much. It's theory that the league suffers from the suspension of its star player on its SB winning team (I'm talking after the fact that this all happened and something had to be done about it.) in reality, I suspect the league benefits on PR and in its pocketbook the bigger and harder they come down on the Patriots** because most fans think there is favoritism because of Kraft, and Belichick** and Brady*.