Brady to be SUSPENDED next week according to report

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan Shaughnessy: A hard rain’s a-gonna fall on Tom Brady and the Patriots - The Boston Globe

In the rest of the free-thinking world, the Patriots are liars and cheaters. They were caught red-handed in Spygate in 2007 and now the league has got them again. The Patriots intentionally and systematically deflated footballs, below legal limits, to accommodate Brady.

They did it because they believed it gave them a competitive advantage (more completions, less fumbling, better play in bad weather — all Patriot trademarks).

Brady knew about it, lied about it, then withheld information from the Wells investigators.

Fine, Georgia, join the group of people that condone cheating and don't give a crap about sportsmanship. You're not alone.

They (and you) are are all fans of New England, and/or Tom Brady.

I hope you enjoyed your victories,

They all will always have an asterisk, regardless of the punishment issued this week.

Dan Shaughnessy: A hard rain’s a-gonna fall on Tom Brady and the Patriots - The Boston Globe

In the rest of the free-thinking world, the Patriots are liars and cheaters. They were caught red-handed in Spygate in 2007 and now the league has got them again. The Patriots intentionally and systematically deflated footballs, below legal limits, to accommodate Brady.

They did it because they believed it gave them a competitive advantage (more completions, less fumbling, better play in bad weather — all Patriot trademarks).

Brady knew about it, lied about it, then withheld information from the Wells investigators.

There's some great comments in there. I particularly like the one where suspending Brady would be a deceptive business practice and fraud under Massachusetts law, because people watch football to see Tom Brady... :lol:

Just on the chance the refs do not use a gauge to check them, which is possible in some of the games. There are not any rules that Rodgers is breaking by submitting them overinflated, if he even does that. It seems like he said he did it once in awhile. But again, there are no rules against that. The only rules are that the team has to submit x number of balls. Then the refs are the ones that set the balls at the desired psi. If they weight within the rules when given to them, they may or may not alter them to get them to the exact PSi the team wants. If they don't weigh within the parameters they alter them until they do. But it is not any penalty or wrongdoing for that.

Exactly, then why do you keep saying that what Rodgers is doing is not against the rules? He is, we presume based on what he tells us, inflating the balls to an illegally high level, hoping they are not detected as such and make it into the game. Obviously, if he is doing it after the refs inspect the balls, he's not going to announce it...

In the end, if a ball with too much or too little air in it (due to deliberate actions of the QB/staff) makes it into the game, it is an "illegal" ball. You're understandably hung up on how the tow QBs went about doing it but the intention (altering the ball for a personal advantage) is the same. It's undeniable.

As for what the refs do with the balls pre game, we know little because they don't routinely document any of their inspection work.

I said nothing on your other points because they were ridiculous, particularly the point about the Hughes tomahawk play. Football is a game of emotion and to say that had Hughes stripped a properly inflated ball leading to a Buffalo touchdown it would have had no impact on an otherwise relatively close game doesn't pass the sniff test to any rational person. Glad to finally get an answer on good old Alphonzo. So I guess if Marcell gets any time off at all for his citation level offense you'll be leading the charge about how unfair it is compared to punishment given (or, more accurately, not given) to NE**'s players.

That sack led to a punt which led to a scoring drive by the Bills. So, really, you're just wrong.

Dennard was a backup CB. Dareus is a PB caliber D-lineman. You make less sense with each post.

Exactly, then why do you keep saying that what Rodgers is doing is not against the rules? He is, we presume based on what he tells us, inflating the balls to an illegally high level, hoping they are not detected as such and make it into the game. Obviously, if he is doing it after the refs inspect the balls, he's not going to announce it...

In the end, if a ball with too much or too little air in it (due to deliberate actions of the QB/staff) makes it into the game, it is an "illegal" ball. You're understandably hung up on how the tow QBs went about doing it but the intention (altering the ball for a personal advantage) is the same. It's undeniable.

As for what the refs do with the balls pre game, we know little because they don't routinely document any of their inspection work.

That sack led to a punt which led to a scoring drive by the Bills. So, really, you're just wrong.

Dennard was a backup CB. Dareus is a PB caliber D-lineman. You make less sense with each post.

He's doing it before the refs check. That's the difference.

Is he cheating, yes. But he is also putting the guilt on the refs if he gets caught. If he has a ball at 18 PSI before the game and the refs don't check it, it's on the refs for not properly deflating the ball to the right PSI. Altering the ball after the proper PSIc has been measured is completely different.

The Rogers comparisons are a bit overblown (slight pun intended), and not for the obvious reasons that others pointed out, but also because I seem to recall him just joking around about it, so not sure his comments were to be taken seriously.

On the Dennard vs Dareus piece, I really don't get your comment--the player's skill level shouldn't factor into punishment at all. Dennard got bupkis from the League for pleading out a DUI and violating probation from an earlier incident, all of which got him a 60 day jail term. So pray tell how it will be fair when Marcell (as expected) gets time off for what amounted to a citation with no jail time? If Dareus gets time off while Dennard skated it will be but one more example of how "all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others" to quote Orwell's "Animal Farm".

You're not understanding. I actually read the report and read the rules. There is NOTHING said in any rule about what the teams do as far Psi goes. A team could deliver a completely deflated football to them. Rodgers could submit a ball at 25 Psi that is about to explode and he would not be breaking or bending any rule. The teams have no responsibility CONCERNING PSI before handing them to the refs. There is no violation for giving it to them at 10 or 15.

Nor is Brady in violation if they deliver a ball under 12.5 because he likes them that way. That is not cheating in any way

There's some great comments in there. I particularly like the one where suspending Brady would be a deceptive business practice and fraud under Massachusetts law, because people watch football to see Tom Brady... :lol:

I actually found a good number of the comments--more than I'd have guessed--to be reality and not "Pneumonic-like" fan boy-based. Makes sense when a guy who's given a needle and whose job has nothing legit to go with the balls calls himself the "deflator" is texting with a buddy about how Brady likes his balls and is angling for (and getting) TB swag for his efforts. What other conclusion can a reasonable person draw!

Maybe there's hope in Beantown after, all.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the number of people commenting based in reality.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/10/wells-report-disregards-andersons-best-recollection-on-a-key-piece-of-evidence/

PFT hits the wells report pretty hard here on Anderson and the pressure gauge issue. If accurate, sounds like the pats could have reason to be upset..... Or florio confused himself. I skimmed on my phone but know we have some experts here

According to the report the Pats guy said the refs "F'ed" them and some of the balls were at 16 for the Jets game. Seems like they either were not deflating at that time, or the deflator didn't always get a chance to be alone with the balls.

The evidence that Brady knew what they were doing specifically is not air tight. However the evidence that he lied to the investigators when he claimed not to know McNally's name or job is rock solid. I think he gets 4 games just for misleading the investigators. And the team gets 250,000 fine for refusing 2nd interview for McNally and accusing league of bias. Belichick gets a 25,000 fine for lack of control.

Edited by HalftimeAdjustment

If I am the NFL, I suspend Brady indefinitely, subject to him cooperating and turning over the responsive documents.

Once they get the docs and issue a revised report, assuming the ultimate conclusion doesn't change, the NFL will then make a decision on a suspension.

That's a very good idea. The fact that Brady continues to be uncooperative should have consequences...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/10/wells-report-disregards-andersons-best-recollection-on-a-key-piece-of-evidence/

PFT hits the wells report pretty hard here on Anderson and the pressure gauge issue. If accurate, sounds like the pats could have reason to be upset..... Or florio confused himself. I skimmed on my phone but know we have some experts here

According to Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe the Pats have PR firms working overtime pushing storylines that try to discredit the entire investigation.