Jon Stewart on Tom Brady...EPIC

I've never even been on ppp. In fact, I've never even seen or looked for the link. I waste way too much of my time on here as it is. At least on here, every once in a blue moon, you can construct an argument in a manner that can lead people to change the way they think about things. I've worked in corporate America and debated conservatives for hours on end. It is futile for them as well as myself. Here is an argument I witnessed in the office once that sums up conservatives and their unwillingness to budge: guy #1: being gay is not a choice that people make. Guy #2: yes it is. Guy #1: hey gay guy, come here for a second. Did you ever decide to be gay or were you born the way you are. Gay guy: of course the latter. Guy #2: sorry, I don't believe you. Now what in the world can be gained from debating with someone like that? I've found it much more enjoyable and certainly much less frustrating to just sit back and make fun of people I disagree with politically with those whom I agree with rather than try and engage those with whom I will never see eye to eye. Which isn't to say that there aren't certain issues where I do agree with conservatives, but on those I don't, going on ppp certainly isn't gonna turn me into a birther or a gravity denier or whatever your cause d'jour is, much the same way I'm not gonna turn you into a tree hugger or one who sympathizes with the less fortunate or believes scientists over rush limbaugh. So let's keep it to football.

Wow...now this post is pure comedic genius.

...and you think those you disagree with are the unreasonable ones? (bolded)

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never even been on ppp. In fact, I've never even seen or looked for the link. I waste way too much of my time on here as it is. At least on here, every once in a blue moon, you can construct an argument in a manner that can lead people to change the way they think about things. I've worked in corporate America and debated conservatives for hours on end. It is futile for them as well as myself. Here is an argument I witnessed in the office once that sums up conservatives and their unwillingness to budge: guy #1: being gay is not a choice that people make. Guy #2: yes it is. Guy #1: hey gay guy, come here for a second. Did you ever decide to be gay or were you born the way you are. Gay guy: of course the latter. Guy #2: sorry, I don't believe you. Now what in the world can be gained from debating with someone like that? I've found it much more enjoyable and certainly much less frustrating to just sit back and make fun of people I disagree with politically with those whom I agree with rather than try and engage those with whom I will never see eye to eye. Which isn't to say that there aren't certain issues where I do agree with conservatives, but on those I don't, going on ppp certainly isn't gonna turn me into a birther or a gravity denier or whatever your cause d'jour is, much the same way I'm not gonna turn you into a tree hugger or one who sympathizes with the less fortunate or believes scientists over rush limbaugh. So let's keep it to football.

I've always thought whether the former or latter for how someone lives their life, why does it even matter?

Your political analysis sounds pretty shallow and stereotypical, which is unfortunate because your football analysis is usually pretty good. Perhaps your political beliefs have more to do with your identity than any objective observations or reasoning.

So, you come up with some anecdotal crap about witnessing a gay argument and not only attribute the side of the argument you don't like to a conservative, but paint all conservatives with a broad brush because of it? You then go on to insinuate that because I am a conservative that I must be a "birther", "gravity denier" (?) or a follower of whatever the cause of the day is. Well, guess what? I'm none of those and I respect the environment, sympathize with the truly less fortunate and believe science (not necessarily scientists) over Rush Limbaugh.

This is what I don't get: You write well and as Rob said, your football analysis seems cogent and well informed. How can you be so ignorant to blatantly take ill informed and biased shots at conservatives from behind a wall, and then say "let's keep it to football"? The whole premise of my OP was to mock you guys for this kind of cowardness, so why would you continue to perpetuate it? A truly intelligent person would have gotten what I was doing and would have made the decision to either cease making political comments here at TSW or join the fray at PPP and maybe learn something. You have stated that you would rather stay in your cocoon with the people you already agree with and make fun of people who see things differently than you do. How did you come up with your beliefs then? If I were in your situation I think I would question the entire basis of my philosophy, being that it must have been handed to you by someone else, and you haven't seen it necessary to vett it.

Your political analysis sounds pretty shallow and stereotypical, which is unfortunate because your football analysis is usually pretty good. Perhaps your political beliefs have more to do with your identity than any objective observations or reasoning.

I appreciate the compliment regarding my football analysis but I'm not sure what I said here regarding any sort of political analysis that is controversial at all. All I was trying to say was that it's every bit as futile for a conservative to debate me as it is vice versa. When it comes to social issues, people are usually pretty set in their ways. In the history of me debating politics/social issues, listening to the talking heads on the right and left, etc., I've never once changed my mind about something that I felt strongly about to begin with and I'm pretty sure I've never changed anyone else's mind either. This conversation recalls the classic saying, "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

So, you come up with some anecdotal crap about witnessing a gay argument and not only attribute the side of the argument you don't like to a conservative, but paint all conservatives with a broad brush because of it? You then go on to insinuate that because I am a conservative that I must be a "birther", "gravity denier" (?) or a follower of whatever the cause of the day is. Well, guess what? I'm none of those and I respect the environment, sympathize with the truly less fortunate and believe science (not necessarily scientists) over Rush Limbaugh.

This is what I don't get: You write well and as Rob said, your football analysis seems cogent and well informed. How can you be so ignorant to blatantly take ill informed and biased shots at conservatives from behind a wall, and then say "let's keep it to football"? The whole premise of my OP was to mock you guys for this kind of cowardness, so why would you continue to perpetuate it? A truly intelligent person would have gotten what I was doing and would have made the decision to either cease making political comments here at TSW or join the fray at PPP and maybe learn something. You have stated that you would rather stay in your cocoon with the people you already agree with and make fun of people who see things differently than you do. How did you come up with your beliefs then? If I were in your situation I think I would question the entire basis of my philosophy, being that it must have been handed to you by someone else, and you haven't seen it necessary to vett it.

So let me get this straight: You are criticizing me for taking subtle jabs at modern conservative ideals (every last one of the Republicans running for the nomination will spout anti-environment, anti-less fortunate and certainly anti-science rhetoric during the primaries- you seem smart enough to realize that) and are telling me that it's cowardly (by the way it's "cowardice" not 'cowardness') to do so in this forum yet in your own signature- which is displayed every time you post in this forum- you have a bunch of anti-democratic quotes? And one of them is by none other than Larry the Cable Guy? So every time I'm looking to just talk football with you I have to read a joke- by Larry the Cable Guy mind you- about how liberals are stupid? Just making sure.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I appreciate the compliment regarding my football analysis but I'm not sure what I said here regarding any sort of political analysis that is controversial at all. All I was trying to say was that it's every bit as futile for a conservative to debate me as it is vice versa. When it comes to social issues, people are usually pretty set in their ways. In the history of me debating politics/social issues, listening to the talking heads on the right and left, etc., I've never once changed my mind about something that I felt strongly about to begin with and I'm pretty sure I've never changed anyone else's mind either. This conversation recalls the classic saying, "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

I don't have any problem with that. Your post seemed to impute the words of some (*^*&%^$^#you work with to conservatives generally, and seemed to imply that anyone right of center is Rick Santorum.

It may not have been your intent, but I took your line about empathy to mean that fiscal conservatives who don't support liberal "solutions" do so out of a lack of empathy for their fellow man; which is the logical equivalent of saying if you don't support making EJ the starter that you don't care about the Bills.

I don't have any problem with that. Your post seemed to impute the words of some (*^*&%^$^#you work with to conservatives generally, and seemed to imply that anyone right of center is Rick Santorum.

It may not have been your intent, but I took your line about empathy to mean that fiscal conservatives who don't support liberal "solutions" do so out of a lack of empathy for their fellow man; which is the logical equivalent of saying if you don't support making EJ the starter that you don't care about the Bills.

If I implied that every conservative was like my former co-worker then I apologize, that was not my intent. My point was more to show how futile it is to argue with anyone who is set in their ways. I can see how you interpreted it that way.

So let me get this straight: You are criticizing me for taking subtle jabs at modern conservative ideals (every last one of the Republicans running for the nomination will spout anti-environment, anti-less fortunate and certainly anti-science rhetoric during the primaries- you seem smart enough to realize that) and are telling me that it's cowardly (by the way it's "cowardice" not 'cowardness') to do so in this forum yet in your own signature- which is displayed every time you post in this forum- you have a bunch of anti-democratic quotes? And one of them is by none other than Larry the Cable Guy? So every time I'm looking to just talk football with you I have to read a joke- by Larry the Cable Guy mind you- about how liberals are stupid? Just making sure.

Hey, thanks for correcting me not only on the use of cowardice but by agreeing that you have been acting like one. The rest of your nonsense doesn't address the issue of you guys taking jabs at and even making unfounded assumptions against conservatives and then running and hiding behind a wall. You have basically said that you are quite comfortable in your little cocoon surrounded by equally closed-minded people, and that you have no will to change even if proven wrong. As far as my signature goes, I have no anti-democratic quotes other than the one made by our resident liberal pBrain (pBills) at the time. As far as the Larry The Cable Guy joke goes how would you characterize a group of people who take jabs at another group but won't educate themselves regarding that group? I could think of worse names than stupid. "There are none so blind than those who refuse to see".

If I implied that every conservative was like my former co-worker then I apologize, that was not my intent. My point was more to show how futile it is to argue with anyone who is set in their ways. I can see how you interpreted it that way.

I got you. I agree that it's futile to try to change the minds of others. Most of the time people don't even agree on a common goal before arguing how to get to it.

Here's the thing...Jon doesn't set out to offend conservatives or any particular party...he simply offers "common sense" commentary on the ridiculous things politicians and other public figures say, and it just so happens the majority of those come from the right wing.

I found he takes statements out of context and misrepresents to fit his leftist narrative. Don't watch him for that reason. Not sad he's retiring in fact kind of pleased. He is just another propaganda tool of the left. I find it funny his brother is a former big shot on the NYSE and that he felt it necessary to change his name from Leibowitz to Stewart.

Edited by Dante

I found he takes statements out of context and misrepresents to fit his leftist narrative. Don't watch him for that reason. Not sad he's retiring in fact kind of pleased. He is just another propaganda tool of the left. I find it funny his brother is a former big shot on the NYSE and that he felt it necessary to change his name from Leibowitz to Stewart.

i said initially that i did not find stewart funny, which took the thread in a different direction . i find that the little i have seen of stewart , mostly due to clips shown on various cable shows, i know where he is going a mile away.. his grimaces, the lemmings howling in the audience, just not my cup of tea.the guy gets more mileage out of sarah palin jokes than anybody. just too predictable, like i said. the funniest man currently on the planet is larry david, a liberal, in every sense.

It's hilarious how many people are judging Stewart's show while never watching it. "Gets more mileage out of Sarah palin..." :lol:

again, i have seen various clips, enough for me to form an opinion, which i am able to do .. and i can also form one by watching a movie trailer, read a book review. its quite a concept.

Edited by dwight in philly

Hey, thanks for correcting me not only on the use of cowardice but by agreeing that you have been acting like one. The rest of your nonsense doesn't address the issue of you guys taking jabs at and even making unfounded assumptions against conservatives and then running and hiding behind a wall. You have basically said that you are quite comfortable in your little cocoon surrounded by equally closed-minded people, and that you have no will to change even if proven wrong. As far as my signature goes, I have no anti-democratic quotes other than the one made by our resident liberal pBrain (pBills) at the time. As far as the Larry The Cable Guy joke goes how would you characterize a group of people who take jabs at another group but won't educate themselves regarding that group? I could think of worse names than stupid. "There are none so blind than those who refuse to see".

I don't get it at all. How is me taking a few jabs at conservatives somehow less noble and more cowardly than you saying that liberals are incapable of catching their own proverbial fish in your signature? The difference is that I only go there when pressed whereas your fishing metaphor and Larry the Cable Guy joke are on every single post you make. I'm completely befuddled.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

It's hilarious how many people are judging Stewart's show while never watching it. "Gets more mileage out of Sarah palin..." :lol:

I watch it every night and I'm tired of the format. Generally he says **** with no one there really to challenge him.

His interview with Judith Miller was very telling of how he's just trying to get an "Aha moment".

again, i have seen various clips, enough for me to form an opinion, which i am able to do .. and i can also form one by watching a movie trailer, read a book review. its quite a concept.

There's a difference though between an informed opinion and an ignorant one. You're coming at it from the point of pure ignorance, which is your right and is fine. No one should be forced to watch Stewart. But smart people who don't watch it don't comment on the content of the show.

So, you know, try to have informed opinions rather than silly ones.

I watch it every night and I'm tired of the format. Generally he says **** with no one there really to challenge him.

His interview with Judith Miller was very telling of how he's just trying to get an "Aha moment".

That's a perfectly reasonable and informed opinion to have.

That's exactly what he does. If he were doing it as comedy I wouldn't have a problem with it, but he uses these misrepresentations (which is just a nicer word for lies) and uses them to advance a serious political agenda among his ignorant fan base.* Then when confronted with his irresponsible behavior he hides behind his "fake news" front.

I do think he's more fair minded than most political commentators and that he has great stage presence and comedic talent. But despite his talent I'd say he's still wildly overrated (in fairness, I don't think anyone's ever been worthy of the hype he gets) and he's a dishonest political commentator.

There's a difference though between an informed opinion and an ignorant one. You're coming at it from the point of pure ignorance, which is your right and is fine. No one should be forced to watch Stewart. But smart people who don't watch it don't comment on the content of the show.

You're too nice. This is PPP remember?

That's exactly what he does. If he were doing it as comedy I wouldn't have a problem with it, but he uses these misrepresentations (which is just a nicer word for lies) and uses them to advance a serious political agenda among his ignorant fan base.* Then when confronted with his irresponsible behavior he hides behind his "fake news" front.

I do think he's more fair minded than most political commentators and that he has great stage presence and comedic talent. But despite his talent I'd say he's still wildly overrated (in fairness, I don't think anyone's ever been worthy of the hype he gets) and he's a dishonest political commentator.

One of the other posters said most of the outrageous dumb stuff comes out of the mouths of the right that's why he jokes on them more than the left. Biden, Pelosi, Reid , Obama, Hillary(especially with her fake accents) are an endless supply of material for the likes of Leibowitz, err I mean Stewart. And that's exactly the problem. If he mocked both sides equally I could deal with him. Every time I watched him it was totally one sided so as not to annoy myself I just ignore him.

One of the other posters said most of the outrageous dumb stuff comes out of the mouths of the right that's why he jokes on them more than the left. Biden, Pelosi, Reid , Obama, Hillary(especially with her fake accents) are an endless supply of material for the likes of Leibowitz, err I mean Stewart. And that's exactly the problem. If he mocked both sides equally I could deal with him. Every time I watched him it was totally one sided so as not to annoy myself I just ignore him.

+1

and you didn't even mention Wasserman Schultz :lol:

I don't get it at all. How is me taking a few jabs at conservatives somehow less noble and more cowardly than you saying that liberals are incapable of catching their own proverbial fish in your signature? The difference is that I only go there when pressed whereas your fishing metaphor and Larry the Cable Guy joke are on every single post you make. I'm completely befuddled.

It's simple, I rarely post on TSW but do some lurking. I mainly post on PPP where my signature is not only acceptable but quite mild. The difference is that if one is going to make political statements then they should do them in a forum where they can be properly disputed. We are somewhat free here at PPP which allows some rough and tumble (verbal) intercourse. You started off utilizing some old and stale accusations regarding conservatives and I had to be very careful on TSW in how I responded to you. Your remarks led me to believe you have no real understanding of conservatism. They seemed right out of The Huffington Post playbook. Conservatives are gravity deniers? You can't be real. You'll find, if you spend any time here and actually utilize what appears to be a very competent mind (although misguided) that many of your stereotypes that you believe to be true just don't hold up. Could you guess between liberals and conservatives which group is the more charitable? The answer I'm sure will surprise you. Do you have any idea what the overriding conservative objection is to the ACA? It's not that we don't want healthcare for everyone but that we don't want some government mandated health insurance that not only doesn't improve healthcare, but makes it more expensive. What about the Tea Party? Did you know that it consists of many Tea Parties across the country and has no national leadership? Did you also know, despite all the derisive "teabagger" comments from the left that none of its many charters address social issues?

I could go on and on but unless you choose to actually engage in conversation here, I'd only be preaching to the choir. I hope you do join in. You will certainly gain a different perspective regarding conservatism. Also, liberalism is poorly represented here. With few exceptions they are all wack jobs and clowns.

It's simple, I rarely post on TSW but do some lurking. I mainly post on PPP where my signature is not only acceptable but quite mild. The difference is that if one is going to make political statements then they should do them in a forum where they can be properly disputed. We are somewhat free here at PPP which allows some rough and tumble (verbal) intercourse. You started off utilizing some old and stale accusations regarding conservatives and I had to be very careful on TSW in how I responded to you. Your remarks led me to believe you have no real understanding of conservatism. They seemed right out of The Huffington Post playbook. Conservatives are gravity deniers? You can't be real. You'll find, if you spend any time here and actually utilize what appears to be a very competent mind (although misguided) that many of your stereotypes that you believe to be true just don't hold up. Could you guess between liberals and conservatives which group is the more charitable? The answer I'm sure will surprise you. Do you have any idea what the overriding conservative objection is to the ACA? It's not that we don't want healthcare for everyone but that we don't want some government mandated health insurance that not only doesn't improve healthcare, but makes it more expensive. What about the Tea Party? Did you know that it consists of many Tea Parties across the country and has no national leadership? Did you also know, despite all the derisive "teabagger" comments from the left that none of its many charters address social issues?

I could go on and on but unless you choose to actually engage in conversation here, I'd only be preaching to the choir. I hope you do join in. You will certainly gain a different perspective regarding conservatism. Also, liberalism is poorly represented here. With few exceptions they are all wack jobs and clowns.

Wait, is this thread in the PPP right now? What does PPP even stand for? So I can say whatever I want and not have to worry about warnings for saying I think EJ Manuel is probably still going to suck this year?

really? i guess your definition of "smart people " is not open for debate. you made that determination in your mind. typical of someone that makes judgments without actually absorbing the content of one's remarks. i must brush up i suppose, you implying that im ignorant is a wake up call

Edited by dwight in philly

really? i guess your definition of "smart people " is not open for debate. you made that determination in your mind. typical of someone that makes judgments without actually absorbing the content of one's remarks. i must brush up i suppose, you implying that im ignorant is a wake up call

Since the definition of "smart person" is basically "not massively ignorant," I''d say his definition isn't open for debate, as massive ignorance is exactly what he described.

Edited by DC Tom

Wait, is this thread in the PPP right now? What does PPP even stand for? So I can say whatever I want and not have to worry about warnings for saying I think EJ Manuel is probably still going to suck this year?

Be careful, we might get this thread moved back to TSW just to get you some warning points. Yes, you are in Politics, Polls and Pundits. Getting threads moved from TSW to here is like one of our favorite moves to trap unsuspecting souls to be used here as fresh meat. You can check out any time you want but you can never leave. It's just like being Shanghaied.

I made the determination based off your comments, which made it quite clear you don't watch the show and have watched little more than an occasional segment or clip of it. Then you make the proclamation "that guy gets more mileage out of Sarah Palin jokes than anyone."

That's an ignorant opinion by your own admission -- and all measures of reality.

Be careful, we might get this thread moved back to TSW just to get you some warning points. Yes, you are in Politics, Polls and Pundits. Getting threads moved from TSW to here is like one of our favorite moves to trap unsuspecting souls to be used here as fresh meat. You can check out any time you want but you can never leave. It's just like being Shanghaied.

Always be careful in old bars in Portland, Or, Give him a few shots of whiskey and then the trap door opens Next thing you know your below deck on a freighter bound for god knows where.

Edited by Dante

Not only that; you can call anyone who disagrees with you a brain dead !@#$ing retard and no one will mind (except maybe the guy you called a retard).

He doesn't go after both sides equally because he's a progressive. Duhhh

But he can be damn funny.

I'm with you. Just about every show has one good guaranteed belly-laugh for me, and Stewart's politics are about as different from mine as possible.