Kiper Jr. - 'Bills draft was the WORST of all 32 teams.'

Gotta love the World Wide Web...

http://worldnewss.net/busy-low-season-adopted-by-way-of-draft-bust/

Some real gems, but this is my favorite:

"...in spherical 6, with the 194th choose the Bills selected Nick O’Leary TE from Florida State. aside from Miller, no Payments draft choose has a greater shot at quick having fun with time than O’Leary. He is a tough- nosed participant at a spot the place the Bills could be utilizing a number of gamers on a mess of snaps – and it will not be sudden if O’Leary, whose upside is restricted, nonetheless emerged because the Payments’ No. 2 tight finish this 12 months."

I had to read this article like 3 times before I realized this writer changed key words to words with same meaning, or as close as he/she could get ...ie: spherical 6 = round 6, Matt Cassel (castle) = Matt Citadel and referring to the Bills as Payments as if the word Bills meant a monetary bill....have fun reading this article while you try to figure out what the heck it says..lol

Only time will tell. I would have taken La el Collins though , not one team even in the 7th , very curious.

I didn't understand that choice either...why let him choose the team to sign with if he's totally exonerated from the double homicide?? ...worst case you lose your 7th round pick, best case is you have a top 20 player picked with a low costing 7th rd pick...now if he's exonerated the teams in need for an OT will all be fighting for him

Edited by Tsaikotic

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to read this article like 3 times before I realized this writer changed key words to words with same meaning, or as close as he/she could get ...ie: spherical 6 = round 6, Matt Cassel (castle) = Matt Citadel and referring to the Bills as Payments as if the word Bills meant a monetary bill....have fun reading this article while you try to figure out what the heck it says..lol

I didn't understand that choice either...why let him choose the team to sign with if he's totally exonerated from the double homicide?? ...worst case you lose your 7th round pick, best case is you have a top 20 player picked with a low costing 7th rd pick...now if he's exonerated the teams in need for an OT will all be fighting for him

If you draft a player and they don't sign they can enter the draft again next year. If a player goes undrafted they cannot enter the draft again. The worry probably was that La'el Collins would have used being drafted that late as a way to get back into the draft. Might as well use a pick on a guy you know 100% will sign a contract.

I too was puzzled by some of the Bills picks (a CB in the 2nd, another RB?) but there's a big difference between what guys like Kiper do and what professional scouts and NFL front offices do when it comes to the draft. Scouts and general managers are talent evaluators and have specific criteria for selecting players and determining how they fit with their team. For the most part, teams don't say a lot about their internal thought processes and player evaluation techniques because its one element of competition.

The draft guru's are not professional talent evaluators. I believe it was Bill Parcells who said that Kiper was not a talent evaluator but rather an 'information gatherer'. I think this observation, them being information gatherers, is correct for the media people in general.

I agree with Mel that I think we didn't find any steals in the draft. Meaning, there wasn't any top guys on Kipers board that we took - so from his perspective and based on his rankings, it would make sense he didn't like our draft. Let me say this about Darby.....I am also a pretty big FSU fan......and I said before the draft that I thought Darby was FSUs best defender. Seriously, if you look at the game by game, you will see teams throw on him the least. Teams game planned around him. He is really quick in/out and gets in position. His #1 frustration for us and opportunity to work on is hand skills. He doesn't always catch the ball....he bats it down or drops it. However, I think he will fit in nicely on our defense and has the speed to play against any slot WR in our nickel too. And this may allow Graham to move to FS. By the way - I LOVE Graham on the field. He is a playmaker! So anyway, I agree picking the FSU RB for special teams play and a WR were a little strange but clearly they targeted those players so I feel good about that part. O'Leary by the way --- has REALLY good hands. I predict he will have a good chance of playing #2 TE. He reminds me of Jason Witten. I thought he would have been top TE at the start of the season. He's only 6 3, however runs good routes and has great hands and body control/coordination. Anyway, I understand the draft grade given the board he had.....however I personally think Darby will be a great fit for us and hoping to see Graham at FS on opening day. If that happens - it was an AWESOME pick!!!! Also, I still love having Sammmmmmmmmy. I don't believe we would have picked Beckham. The fact that we traded up tells you we would have went a different position....we had Watkins as the only WR to take and he is special. And its so much better for us to have him over a different TE or OL from last year. That's what I think we would have got. I mean, forgetting the other WRs for a second -- Watkins broke Buffalo rookie records.....that's pretty special. We will see what happens this year however that's my feeling. He's a special talent.

For good teams, the draft is about building the roster into the future. For bad teams, they are drafting in the top 10 and need to plug a bunch of holes. Those teams will always have "good" drafts because their needs are obvious to the outsiders. Fans who follow the teams closely can usually see the future needs and the roster enough to not worry about grades from outsiders.

I agree with Mel that I think we didn't find any steals in the draft. Meaning, there wasn't any top guys on Kipers board that we took - so from his perspective and based on his rankings, it would make sense he didn't like our draft. Let me say this about Darby.....I am also a pretty big FSU fan......and I said before the draft that I thought Darby was FSUs best defender. Seriously, if you look at the game by game, you will see teams throw on him the least. Teams game planned around him. He is really quick in/out and gets in position. His #1 frustration for us and opportunity to work on is hand skills. He doesn't always catch the ball....he bats it down or drops it. However, I think he will fit in nicely on our defense and has the speed to play against any slot WR in our nickel too. And this may allow Graham to move to FS. By the way - I LOVE Graham on the field. He is a playmaker! So anyway, I agree picking the FSU RB for special teams play and a WR were a little strange but clearly they targeted those players so I feel good about that part. O'Leary by the way --- has REALLY good hands. I predict he will have a good chance of playing #2 TE. He reminds me of Jason Witten. I thought he would have been top TE at the start of the season. He's only 6 3, however runs good routes and has great hands and body control/coordination. Anyway, I understand the draft grade given the board he had.....however I personally think Darby will be a great fit for us and hoping to see Graham at FS on opening day. If that happens - it was an AWESOME pick!!!! Also, I still love having Sammmmmmmmmy. I don't believe we would have picked Beckham. The fact that we traded up tells you we would have went a different position....we had Watkins as the only WR to take and he is special. And its so much better for us to have him over a different TE or OL from last year. That's what I think we would have got. I mean, forgetting the other WRs for a second -- Watkins broke Buffalo rookie records.....that's pretty special. We will see what happens this year however that's my feeling. He's a special talent.

A little lengthy, but +1.

While I'm still not crazy about the Darby pick, I agree that Graham's best spot is going to be as FS. He has great ball skills and instincts but has never been the fastest and is only going to get slower. If Darby can challenge McKelvin this year, it makes me feel much better about the secondary.

This guy gets more and more annoying every year. I suppose some team has to be the worst according to Kiper...might as well be us. That way we can rub it in when hoisting the Lombardi trophy.

Given the QB track record, Kiper will be bald by the time that happens.

Gotta love the World Wide Web...

http://worldnewss.net/busy-low-season-adopted-by-way-of-draft-bust/

Some real gems, but this is my favorite:

"...in spherical 6, with the 194th choose the Bills selected Nick O’Leary TE from Florida State. aside from Miller, no Payments draft choose has a greater shot at quick having fun with time than O’Leary. He is a tough- nosed participant at a spot the place the Bills could be utilizing a number of gamers on a mess of snaps – and it will not be sudden if O’Leary, whose upside is restricted, nonetheless emerged because the Payments’ No. 2 tight finish this 12 months."

That is funny stuff. It must be some translation program? Looking at some other sport headlines, it took me awhile to figure out what "Cavaliers will face Chicago in japanese convention semifinals" meant... :lol:

I've never understood the argument that a player was taken a little too high. We had the #50 pick, wanted a player that probably would have been gone before our next pick. So, what are they supposed to do? Trade down... what if no one wants to trade up 10 spots?

None of us are in the war room. We don't know what moves they may or may not have tried to make. You can also say, they could have taken this other player. But maybe their paid, professional scouts didn't think he was a fit for our team? I respect a lot of the opinions of a lot of people here, but none of us are paid by the Bills to evaluate and rank the players in terms of best fit for the schemes our coaches want to install.

It seems they had their players ranked and took the guys they wanted, when they could get them. The notion that they could trade down a few spots and still get a guy is all reliant upon willing trade partners and none of us know what was pursued or not.

Personally, I'm completely underwhelmed by our draft. But, I suspect it was a very good draft for us because Whaley seemed to get exactly who he wanted with each pick. In a couple years, we'll know if he was right.

Well Super Bowls are won and lost on whether a roster was drafted in their correct spot.

Kiper is a hack. His "best position" rankings had numerous individuals who went undrafted. We should have added a QB who would likely not have made the team? Or reached and drafted Petty too early. The Jets can have fun with another round of inconsistent QB play. We are in a much better QB situation for this year than the Jets. Next year we have the parts to move up and grab a QB if needed. This was a good draft by the Bills. (would have liked an OT like Chaz Green later in the draft, that's my only critique).

People really care what Kiper thinks? The guy who never played/ coached/ or was in a front office in any level of football ever? If he said we had the best draft ever, it would mean the same. Nothing.

exactly. The guy watches film and makes guesses. Some of you guys on this board do the same thing and are perhaps better qualified than him.

I agree with Kiper and anyone else critical of the Bills' draft. The only pick that makes sense is the guard in the third round. The Bills constantly try to outsmart everyone, drafting for glamour (Watkins, Spiller) and reaching when they draft for need and then indulging in luxury picks (a running back this year, really?). The character issues in this draft are very disturbing as well. I can't see the two picks with serious character issues keeping it together over the long haul. If the Pegula era is about disregarding character by signing the likes of Incognite and drafting some of the players we did, I am concerned about a sleeze factor. One Buffalo may be a tank and a football team with a significant number of low character thugs.