Fastest #1 Signing EVER

H2o

Bucs signed No. 1 overall pick Jameis Winston to a four-year, $25.35 million contract with a club option for 2019.

The fully guaranteed contract includes a $16.7 million signing bonus. It comes with shocking expediency after last year's No. 1 overall pick Jadeveon Clowney took 29 days to sign. Winston realized there's no point playing games with a slotting system that leaves zero contract wiggle room.

Wow that was quick!!! Well, at least in the new format.

Edited by H2o

Has anyone ever come close to signing their contract before the draft was finished?

Not sure about actually signing it, but I believe some other #1 overalls were done before the draft, in order to make sure the team should actually draft the player. I want to say Sam Bradford and/or Mario basically had deals done before the draft.

edit: was wrong about Bradford, but could swear I remember a team with the #1 pick negotiating before the draft.

Edited by DrDareustein

Not sure about actually signing it, but I believe some other #1 overalls were done before the draft, in order to make sure the team should actually draft the player. I want to say Sam Bradford and/or Mario basically had deals done before the draft.

edit: was wrong about Bradford, but could swear I remember a team with the #1 pick negotiating before the draft.

You are definitely right about Mario. His deal was done -- not signed -- the night before the draft. I remember that clear as day. He was sort of a surprising No. 1 that year because of Reggie Bush, and the Texans were finding it much easier to negotiate with Williams.

I remember this. Thought it was Bradford as well

You are definitely right about Mario. His deal was done -- not signed -- the night before the draft. I remember that clear as day. He was sort of a surprising No. 1 that year because of Reggie Bush, and the Texans were finding it much easier to negotiate with Williams.

I remember this. Thought it was Bradford as well

Ok, good, Im not crazy. Or at least not the only crazy one. :thumbsup:

Back when the USFL was drafting before the NFL, Irving Fryar was signed before he was drafted. I believe teams were afraid of having players taken by the USFL...just recently saw this on a documentary on that years draft...

Back when the USFL was drafting before the NFL, Irving Fryar was signed before he was drafted. I believe teams were afraid of having players taken by the USFL...just recently saw this on a documentary on that years draft...

That sounds like a record that might stand for awhile!

Bucs signed No. 1 overall pick Jameis Winston to a four-year, $25.35 million contract with a club option for 2019.

The fully guaranteed contract includes a $16.7 million signing bonus. It comes with shocking expediency after last year's No. 1 overall pick Jadeveon Clowney took 29 days to sign. Winston realized there's no point playing games with a slotting system that leaves zero contract wiggle room.

He about to go buy out all the crab legs at Publix....

Bills signed Bruce before the draft

Jameis Winston - QB - Buccaneers

Mario Williams signed days before he was drafted by the Texans back in the day or at least agreed to the terms.