What Would It Take To Get Mettenberger?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

strange word indeed.

chortle is in between a snicker and an outright laugh. includes a smile though.

its a good thing i can assure you BB !

Technically, it's a chuckle and a snort, hence the name. Lewis Carroll coined it in his poem "Jabberwocky." Edited by Doc

The only way I see him getting out of Tenessee is if he becomes a problem in the locker room and they don't want that negativity around Mariota. The flip side is would you want a guy like that on your team. I think the Titans would be looking for an 2-3 rounder in exchange for a talented but complete unknown who has flashed at times.

I think the front office will instead take a strong look at the class of 2016 and be willing to trade up to land a franchise QB. This team is loaded from top to bottom and they need to make a big move.

Really? He was drafted in the 6th, has character issues, had a serious injury, went 0-6 and then got hurt again. Any QB that plays a few games will eventually "flash at times." What am I missing? A 2nd-3rd round pick? Any team could have had him for a 5th a year ago, he goes winless when given a chance and is injury prone and all of a sudden his stock goes up?

Edited by Cleveland Rocks?

Really? He was drafted in the 6th, has character issues, had a serious injury, went 0-6 and then got hurt again. Any QB that plays a few games will eventually "flash at times." What am I missing? A 2nd-3rd round pick? Any team could have had him for a 5th a year ago, he goes winless when given a chance and is injury prone and all of a sudden his stock goes up?

Finally a voice of reason!

ZM is the less talented version of Winston.

Technically, it's a chuckle and a snort, hence the name. Lewis Carroll coined it in his poem "Jabberwocky."

well its short of a guffaw thats for sure!

awesome reference Doc. I did not know that. and i did read Lewis Carroll. I actually have a very old copy of Alice in wonderland that was found in a market place in Tel Aviv and turned into an artwork.

You Doctors are such sticklers for detail

well its short of a guffaw thats for sure!

awesome reference Doc. I did not know that. and i did read Lewis Carroll. I actually have a very old copy of Alice in wonderland that was found in a market place in Tel Aviv and turned into an artwork.

You Doctors are such sticklers for detail

And you should be glad we are. ;)

and he takes selfies!

Did you even watch the guy play? ???

I put the highlights up from last year. The reason he went 0-6 is the Titans have no defense. Mettenberger also had no offensive line and no running game BUT he did have receivers and played very well in the passing game. In two of the six games he played in he set franchise and NFL records.Going into his sixth game he lead all rookie QB's with a 95 passer rating.

Mettenberger completed 27 of 41 for 300 yards with 2TD and 1INT his first game against Houston setting a franchise rookie QB record. He threw an 80 yard bomb against Pitt and overall completed 15 of 24 passes for 263 yards with 2TD and 1INT,110 QB rating setting a MNF rookie record for QB. Against Philly he threw for 345 yards including eight passes over twenty yards with 2TD and 1INT and an 88 QB rating. In his fifth game at Houston he completed 13 of 19 passes completing 68 percent of his passes for 184 yards for 1TD and 1INT and a 95 QB rating. Not bad at all for a rookie. He only played in six games but played good IMO for a rookie QB on a crappy team.

Most teams would take a rookie with that kind of production. NO? Of course they would. Sometimes you have to look past the record because that doesn't tell the full story.

Take a look at Mettenberger rookie highlights. Looks pretty good for a rookie.......http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2m4f59_zach-mettenberger-rookie-highlights_sport

Edited by dan75

I put the highlights up from last year. The reason he went 0-6 is the Titans have no defense. Mettenberger also had no offensive line and no running game BUT he did have receivers and played very well in the passing game. In two of the six games he played in he set franchise and NFL records.Going into his sixth game he lead all rookie QB's with a 95 passer rating.

Mettenberger completed 27 of 41 for 300 yards with 2TD and 1INT his first game against Houston setting a franchise rookie QB record. He threw an 80 yard bomb against Pitt and overall completed 15 of 24 passes for 263 yards with 2TD and 1INT,110 QB rating setting a MNF rookie record for QB. Against Philly he threw for 345 yards including eight passes over twenty yards with 2TD and 1INT and an 88 QB rating. In his fifth game at Houston he completed 13 of 19 passes completing 68 percent of his passes for 184 yards for 1TD and 1INT and a 95 QB rating. Not bad at all for a rookie. He only played in six games but played good IMO for a rookie QB on a crappy team.

Most teams would take a rookie with that kind of production. NO? Of course they would. Sometimes you have to look past the record because that doesn't tell the full story.

Take a look at Mettenberger rookie highlights. Looks pretty good for a rookie.......http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2m4f59_zach-mettenberger-rookie-highlights_sport

59.8%, 201 yards/game, 8TDs, 7INTS

Sounds VERY similar to EJ Manuel's rookie stats, but many here think he is a bust.

Are you his agent or something - sending me his highlight film? Haha. If you look back at the post I was responding to, it was one which suggested he was worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I didn't say he was terrible, or that he didn't have any potential. I said he didn't go from 6th round value to 2nd/3rd round value based on his production since he was drafted. I did watch him play, I don't need to watch his cherry picked highlights. He looked like an injury prone rookie. Certainly not enough yet to fetch a 2nd or 3rd round pick in a trade. If the Titans evaluated him the way you did, I imagine they would have accepted the fortune of players and picks Chip Kelly was willing to give up for Mariota and stuck with Mettenberger. They didn't. If the Browns, Jets, Bills or any other team that needs a QB evaluated him the way you did, they would have traded for him. They haven't. Now we will see if he ever plays again sitting behind the Duck.

OBD made the decision that Cyril Richardson is more likely to help the team win a championship in the long run than a late round QB like Mettenberger.

I tend to disagree with this assessment. Here is why. I think taking a 6th round draft pick like Mettenberger has about a 2% chance of resulting in a QB than can take a team to a championship, maybe 1%.

On the other hand, I think there is zero chance that Cyril Richardson makes the difference in winning a championship.

Edited by PlayoffsPlease

59.8%, 201 yards/game, 8TDs, 7INTS

Sounds VERY similar to EJ Manuel's rookie stats, but many here think he is a bust.

I think that is kind of the point. If the Bills are just throwing numbers at the QB position as it appears, why not try to acquire Mettenberger or Glennon for a late round pick? They have at least as good of a chance as the guys currently battling for the position (numbers are posted earlier in the thread). There are very few teams where those guys would be considered an upgrade but the Bills may be one of them.

I don't think that anyone is saying that these guys are Aaron Rodgers clones. If people believe that EJ or Taylor or Cassel is the guy why not take a shot on one of these young guys whose performance, at least statistically, has been superior (especially Glennon)?

I think that is kind of the point. If the Bills are just throwing numbers at the QB position as it appears, why not try to acquire Mettenberger or Glennon for a late round pick? They have at least as good of a chance as the guys currently battling for the position (numbers are posted earlier in the thread). There are very few teams where those guys would be considered an upgrade but the Bills may be one of them.

I don't think that anyone is saying that these guys are Aaron Rodgers clones. If people believe that EJ or Taylor or Cassel is the guy why not take a shot on one of these young guys whose performance, at least statistically, has been superior (especially Glennon)?

Really depends on what it costs to get one of those guys, but it is really late to bring another QB in and have him learn the offense well enough to compete on even footing. If Mike Glennon or Mettenberger could beat out any of the current QBs on the roster without benefit of the offseason learning, then the Bills are in a whole heap of trouble

Really depends on what it costs to get one of those guys, but it is really late to bring another QB in and have him learn the offense well enough to compete on even footing. If Mike Glennon or Mettenberger could beat out any of the current QBs on the roster without benefit of the offseason learning, then the Bills are in a whole heap of trouble

Yep, I don't necessarily disagree. I'm not convinced that either of those guys would be a backup here. I don't think that they are very good but it's kind of a "hottest ugly chick" argument. If you are stuck with an ugly chick, hopefully she is the best of the bunch.

• 1 month later...

Pete Prisco @PriscoCBS 1h1 hour ago

Bills should trade for Mettenberger. I told Mettenberger a team should trade for him. He brushed it off. But you know he wouldn't mind

19 retweets 29 favorites

"Zach Mettenberger is one of the 32 good QBs in this league. "He is a starter." - @RealMikeRob http://bit.ly/1Wre7LQ

Marc Sessler @MarcSesslerNFL 2h2 hours ago

Can't help it: Really liked Mettenberger tonight.

Marc Sessler @MarcSesslerNFL 2h2 hours ago

@StatisticalApp @ChrisWesseling I'd take Mett over Cousins

Ranked as one of top backup QB's at NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000501986/article/ranking-backup-qbs-from-no-1-to-32

Mettenberger is the real deal been trying to tell you guys he'd be perfect here. He has a rocket arm,he can complete passes all over the field,he loves to throw the deep ball. He's very cocky confident be perfect for Rex.

Edited by dan75

Why Would they trade Glennon? Since after their prized rook QB they have no one but Glennon. Who knows the system and is on his rookie deal. i agree about him, but he is going nowhere.

IMO