What change would you make if you were commissioner?

1. Each team in respective division has the same bye week. Next game following the bye week are then interdivisional games, so each team would have week off before.

2. Remove offense friendly rules to make playing defense just as important

Not a fan of lottery drafts...the worst teams should get best chance to improve and pick higher. If draft process has to be changed...use average or combined record over last 3-5 seasons for determining the team that is consistently bad to draft first.

Edited by BfloBillsFan

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would invest in some better helmet technology. Putting rigid plastic on the outside of a helmet is barbaric. There are hi-tech self-healing plastics that could make a softer exterior and could probably eliminate most concussions as well as all these dumb rules against tackling high. This would also keep talented players from retiring as early.

Made me think of the Safer barrier in Nascar

Dump the Pro Bowl

If a team does not make the playoffs, give them a team Captains discount on the salary cap. Allow them to designate a single player who has been team Captain for a minimum of two consecutive seasons. That Captain will only count for the veterans minimum the following season (but cannot renegotiate their contract while discounted).

Each team sacrifices a single home game for an NFL tour. American Cities without an NFL team (like Los Angeles & San Antonio) and foreign cities (like London, Toronto, & Mexico City) each get an NFL game every season

I would allow the local communities to buy the franchise from the billionaires. Green Bay is publicly owned, but the NFL wants to keep the ownership in the Billionaire Old Boys Club and prevent the fans from owning their own team. The current situation allows the billionaires to blackmail the local taxpayers into financing new stadiums for them or threaten to move the team to a different city.

The NFL is in the greed and extortion business.

I would allow the local communities to buy the franchise from the billionaires. Green Bay is publicly owned, but the NFL wants to keep the ownership in the Billionaire Old Boys Club and prevent the fans from owning their own team. The current situation allows the billionaires to blackmail the local taxpayers into financing new stadiums for them or threaten to move the team to a different city.

then you could play in the same crap stadium for 70 years.

They renovated the stadium for $295 million in 2003, another $378 million in 2015, not sure how it helps the taxpayers.

a bit of an overstatement, wouldn't you say?

Edited by klos63

then you could play in the same crap stadium for 70 years.

They renovated the stadium for $295 million in 2003, another $378 million in 2015, not sure how it helps the taxpayers.

a bit of an overstatement, wouldn't you say?

No. If you dig below the shiny public relations crap, you will see the NFL is dirty and filthy greedy.

Why don't all the owners pay for their own stadiums even though they can afford it? Get the taxpayers to subsidize them. Simple greed.

Edited by Billsguy

No. If you dig below the shiny public relations crap, you will see the NFL is dirty and filthy greedy.

Why don't all the owners pay for their own stadiums even though they can afford it? Get the taxpayers to subsidize them. Simple greed.

Why does a dog lick his balls? Cause he can.

1. Except for the seasons first game and Thanksgiving Day, no more Thursday or Saturday games during the regular season.

2. All other games kickoff on Sunday at 1PM and 4PM eastern time. Except for one Monday night game. Which would start at 9pm as it did for the first 30 years of its existence. And I would put it on one of the over-the-air broadcast networks. Probably NBC since they currently do such a good job not only with the game, but with their Football Night in America program.

3. No more reviews. Sure the officials will occasionally get a call wrong. It’s part of the game.

4. No more dome or retractable roof stadiums. Football is meant to be played out of doors in elements. For those teams that currently play in a retractable roof stadium, I would require the roof be open no matter what the weather. For those that play in domes, the league would assume the costs of converting them to open-air stadiums.

5. The Super Bowl would be played at the home field of one of the participating teams. No more neutral sites. The only reason I ever heard for doing so was late January, early February weather in the northeast and mid-west. If conference championship games can be played in places like Orchard Park, Green Bay, Foxboro, or Pittsburgh in mid-January, there’s no reason why the Super Bowl can’t be played there two weeks later.

6. I’d make the extra point and two point conversions live plays. What I mean is the clock would start when the ball is snapped, if there is a blocked kick, fumble, or interception, the defense would be allowed to advance the ball just as they do on a regular play.

I'd make overtime like college where both teams start from the 25 but the only exception being no kicking would be allowed. No field goals allowed and if you score a TD you have to go for 2. I think this is the most fair way to determine a winner in OT and I believe removing kicking would decrease the likelihood of it going to like 3, 4, or more overtimes.

Move the Super Bowl to Saturday. Sunday 6:30 kickoff is ridiculous. They hype the hell out of it and everyone has to work the next day!!!!

Stop the international talk, it's an absurd idea meant for shortterm gains for owners. They know, and we know, it'll fail, but if they can make a few millions each on a team fee and more merch, and destroy the game, they will.

Stop fighting gambling unless you the league gets a cut, ie fantasy sports. Was wondering today what happens in the UK where you can place a bet every 500 yards and inside Premier League stadiums. Yes, you read that right, you can place a bet on a game in the stadium. Does the NFL overstep its bounds and lobby Parliament to restrict betting in the UK and give the league a cut? If I'm the UK I tell Roger to stop the imperialism and beat it.

1) Every team gets 1 Thursday night and 1 Monday night game. Sunday night games are truly the "game of the week". Outside of a team earning it's spot on SNF every team gets one prime time home game.

2) Every team plays a neutral site game (like the London or Toronto games), alternating losing a home game every other year. Use this as a way to bring games to markets without teams (Mexico City, London, Toronto) or play in historic college stadiums (a Browns or Bengals game in the horseshoe, a Saints game at LSU, a Jags game in Gainesville, a Lions game at UM).

1. Except for the seasons first game and Thanksgiving Day, no more Thursday or Saturday games during the regular season.

2. All other games kickoff on Sunday at 1PM and 4PM eastern time. Except for one Monday night game. Which would start at 9pm as it did for the first 30 years of its existence. And I would put it on one of the over-the-air broadcast networks. Probably NBC since they currently do such a good job not only with the game, but with their Football Night in America program.

3. No more reviews. Sure the officials will occasionally get a call wrong. Its part of the game.

4. No more dome or retractable roof stadiums. Football is meant to be played out of doors in elements. For those teams that currently play in a retractable roof stadium, I would require the roof be open no matter what the weather. For those that play in domes, the league would assume the costs of converting them to open-air stadiums.

5. The Super Bowl would be played at the home field of one of the participating teams. No more neutral sites. The only reason I ever heard for doing so was late January, early February weather in the northeast and mid-west. If conference championship games can be played in places like Orchard Park, Green Bay, Foxboro, or Pittsburgh in mid-January, theres no reason why the Super Bowl cant be played there two weeks later.

6. Id make the extra point and two point conversions live plays. What I mean is the clock would start when the ball is snapped, if there is a blocked kick, fumble, or interception, the defense would be allowed to advance the ball just as they do on a regular play.

Except for no. 3 (replay), I am with you, brother. Football is meant to be played at 1 pm.

Here are some realistic things that I would change and feel SHOULD change:

1. Allow players to be players...Penalties, fines, etc for end zone celebrations is absurd. These are grown azz men getting paid a LOT of money to play a GAME for a living. Let the fun come back. If someone crosses the line of poor sportsmanship like spiking the ball on a opponent laying on the ground, or something like that, then they get a penalty/fine/both. To celebrate creatively with fans and teammates should be allowed.

2. Remove cannabis from the banned substance league. I can tell you first hand that when I had my shop that I had current and past players of all types...pro bowlers, ones starting and making huge money, who played in the Super Bowl, etc that came in during the offseason to help with pain management dealing with off season surgeries. Many of them refuse to put the harmful pills into their bodies and look for alternative medicine to deal with the pain during rehab rather than the poison being prescribed. Plus its a MUCH SAFER recreational substance than Alcohol, so they should be free to choose to use it in the states that allow it. If alcohol and tobacco are not banned, netter should be cannabis.

3. Fire Goodell...I know, if I am commissioner, then its pretty clear he isn't. Still, it took me a long time to come around to the fire him crowd, but he's botched one thing after another.

The top 3 are the most important...these would be next on my list in no particular order:

4. Move he XP to the 20 yard line. Let teams have a real choice to make, not just consider a 2 point conversion only when the game is on the line.

5. Let players return kicks again and move the ball back to where it was. Its a whole dynamic of the game thats been minimized and also minimized the role some players make their living on.

6. Expand the playoffs to 7 teams with only the #1 seed getting a first round bye.

7. Get rid of the "Pro Bowl" as you know it and make it a multi skills challenge competition...AFC vs NFC.

1. Move the Super Bowl to Saturday.

2. No more Thursday night games, except for Thanksgiving.

3. Full time officials.

4. Return the Draft to a two day event and make it 8 rounds long.

5. Return to the original style of clock management. The game does not need to be sped up. If a game lasts 4 hours long due to constant clock stoppage, then learn to deal with it. If the game is too long for you, then you are not a true football fan.

6. Keep the London series going and any other foreign countries as well. But no franchise will ever be located abroad.

7. Play all preseason games in neutral sites, or at local college venues. This eliminates season ticket holders for having to pay full price for an otherwise meaningless game.

8. Eliminate the inactive roster, and allow every team to suit up the entire roster of players.

9. Replace the Injured Reserve list with a Disabled List, which will allow players to return to the roster any time of the season.

Edited by Mark Vader