What change would you make if you were commissioner?

1. Except for the seasons first game and Thanksgiving Day, no more Thursday or Saturday games during the regular season.

2. All other games kickoff on Sunday at 1PM and 4PM eastern time. Except for one Monday night game. Which would start at 9pm as it did for the first 30 years of its existence. And I would put it on one of the over-the-air broadcast networks. Probably NBC since they currently do such a good job not only with the game, but with their Football Night in America program.

3. No more reviews. Sure the officials will occasionally get a call wrong. It’s part of the game.

4. No more dome or retractable roof stadiums. Football is meant to be played out of doors in elements. For those teams that currently play in a retractable roof stadium, I would require the roof be open no matter what the weather. For those that play in domes, the league would assume the costs of converting them to open-air stadiums.

5. The Super Bowl would be played at the home field of one of the participating teams. No more neutral sites. The only reason I ever heard for doing so was late January, early February weather in the northeast and mid-west. If conference championship games can be played in places like Orchard Park, Green Bay, Foxboro, or Pittsburgh in mid-January, there’s no reason why the Super Bowl can’t be played there two weeks later.

6. I’d make the extra point and two point conversions live plays. What I mean is the clock would start when the ball is snapped, if there is a blocked kick, fumble, or interception, the defense would be allowed to advance the ball just as they do on a regular play.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would put a stop to the DTV only Sunday Ticket deal and make it available to everyone or at least offer some sort of online streaming option that everyone and not just a few could purchase. It's insane to me that sports leagues and teams continue to not get their product in front of as many fans as possible.

This may be one of the more radical ideas, but I'm intrigued at the idea of hitting the reset button on divisions to have them make more geographical sense and create some new rivalries.

Here's my new divisions:

AFC East (Replace Dolphins with Giants, Giants have SB history with both Pats & Bills and have an intense natural rivalry with Jets) -

Jets

Pats

Bills

Giants

AFC North (Ravens are good rivals with Browns & Steelers so that and the NFC East might be the biggest losses of rivals, but given location and Andrew Luck Colts might quickly get things brewing) -

Bengals

Browns

Steelers

Colts

AFC South (A radical change with Falcons, Bucs, Titans and Texans switching conferences, but turn this one into the Florida + Georgia division) -

Falcons

Buccaneers

Jaguars

Dolphins

AFC West (Swap Rams & Chargers, Rams gain a nice strong natural rival with Chiefs)-

Broncos

Raiders

Chiefs

Rams

NFC East (Ravens should make for nice quick rivals with the Eagles and Redskins, Panthers are a random fit anywhere)-

Eagles

Redskins

Ravens

Panthers

NFC North (the only division that really makes sense already) -

Bears

Packers

Vikings

Lions

NFC South (Cowboys & Saints already have a pseudo rivalry, Texans - Cowboys is a natural one as well, Titans stay with Houston for the old Oilers rivals) -

Saints

Cowboys

Titans

Texans

NFC West (both Rams & Chargers feel a bit random in their divisions, swapping them feels more natural)-

Seahawks

49ers

Cardinals

Chargers

Someone already said it but I would cut the Pro Bowl and make it a skills competition and bring back some HOF's like they did one year and have them participate in it too.

I remember Kelly competing in the most accurate passer challenge agains other HOF's. I think Warren Moon was another

They had moving targets and blue chalk on the ends of the footballs

CBF

(1) Modify substance abuse policy re: tweeds

(2) find a way to make Probowl more entertaining

(3) centralized replay booth for all games. Looking at every play immediately with as fast a response as possible when needed

(4) use electronics (chips) for ball spotting scoring judgement

(5) get rid of cheerleaders (all this litigation stuff for a hobby just damages the brand)

(6) no more artificial commercial pauses. If they can make soccer work than surely there is a formula for reducing commercial time without jeopardizing revenue. You've got time outs, in between quarters, and there should be all the data in the world on how much time in between changes of possession etc

(7) the inconsistency in downfield contact judgment has got to be fixed

Someone already said it but I would cut the Pro Bowl and make it a skills competition and bring back some HOF's like they did one year and have them participate in it too.

I remember Kelly competing in the most accurate passer challenge agains other HOF's. I think Warren Moon was another

They had moving targets and blue chalk on the ends of the footballs

CBF

Yeah I said this and totally wish they would do this already. Look at the NBA...No one really cares about the all star game on Sunday, they watch the Saturday when there is a skills challenge, 3pt contests, and dunk contest. A useless football game where they play soft is never going to be appealing.

No alcohol sales inside the stadium once the game starts.

Contract the league by two franchises and discard the idea of a team in London, Mexico City, etc.

Not that I disagree with you but:

1) No way because the teams make too much money off of concessions, beer has to be the biggest money maker.

2) No way because the NFL has maxed out in the US, so to continue increasing revenue they need to try and expand outside the US.

You would be fired as commish if you even mentioned those things :)

Yeah I said this and totally wish they would do this already. Look at the NBA...No one really cares about the all star game on Sunday, they watch the Saturday when there is a skills challenge, 3pt contests, and dunk contest. A useless football game where they play soft is never going to be appealing.

Perfectly said

CBF

I would put a stop to the DTV only Sunday Ticket deal and make it available to everyone or at least offer some sort of online streaming option that everyone and not just a few could purchase. It's insane to me that sports leagues and teams continue to not get their product in front of as many fans as possible.

Right, like NHL game center.

Put an end to the London series. Teams shouldn't have to sacrifice a home game (with the Jets getting to play a "road" game in their own stadium against the Giants and a "road" game vs the Dolphins in London they basically only have 6 actual road games this year).

I'm mostly pretty happy with the game. As a fan, it's frustrating that some of the hits are being flagged, but I think they are for good reason. I wish coaches and players emphasized wrapping players up more vs trying to concuss/break limbs.

I think my only big beef is allowing for more things to be reviewed, while maintaining the same number of reviews a coach is allowed. If something is called an illegal hit of some sort in a bang-bang play, that should be reviewable.

I'm not a big fan of expanding to markets overseas, I think it puts an unfair burden on the teams involved. But I understand why they are doing it (gotta always expand business, afterall). I'd also like to see exclusive deals in video games and sunday ticket come to an end.

Laser markers for first downs, not chains.

Superbowl on Saturday starts at 5 eastern so our children who love football and everyone else gets to see the whole game and not worry about being shot for school or work the next day (duh)

Put a sensor in the football that indicates when it crosses the plane (we have cars that self parallel park I'm pretty sure we can figure this one out and save thousands of replays and guesswork for these critical plays)

Lastly I would allow communities to own teams like they do in Green Bay, have a board of directors and shareholder votes and give this awesome sport back to fans and the community. These greasy owners and two faced commissioners making $40m plus a year is sickening.

I'm liking tech improvements, but I have a feeling it'll need to be tested quite a bit before being reliable enough for games. And also allow for eyeball reviews in case of tech that messes up. Say a sensor reads a touchdown, but everyone and their mother saw the ball never cross the plane, etc.

I'm liking tech improvements, but I have a feeling it'll need to be tested quite a bit before being reliable enough for games. And also allow for eyeball reviews in case of tech that messes up. Say a sensor reads a touchdown, but everyone and their mother saw the ball never cross the plane, etc.

i really wouldnt worry about this. Spatial tracking is pretty mature technology and it wouldn't be that hard to do if it was desired.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood