The Bills linebacker problem

Don't they need a LB who can cover? Brown looked OK at that, but none of the other guys excel at it as far as I know. When they play the Pats, you know Brady will exploit that weakness.

I would expect to see a lot of big nickel when they play NE. The nice part about Buffalo's personnel is that they can play a big nickel (Graham as the 2nd safety with Duke Williams walked down into the box) and still be okay against the run. Plus I think Lawson, for what faults he does have, is still a very good coverage LB.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When the Bills signed Spikes last year, that's what was reported if I recall correctly. Presumably, that threat hasn't gone away, but I'm not sure.

My memory may be failing me here. I recall the one-year only deal being a function of the perceived threat of suspension.

it has somewhat gone away. If referring to his 4 games for PEDs as a rookie, under the new policy, the most he can get if he is popped again is 10 games. He hasn't had anything in 5 years though and claimed it was just a medication he didn't get clarification for. So I don't think it's a huge deterrent to signing him. Edited by YoloinOhio

Valid concern and I can definitely see them picking a LB early in the draft. That said, a lot of people didn't think Bradham wasn't anything going into his 2nd year and he emerged into a good starter. So one of these guys might emerge.

It's right not to trust Rex with anything offensive related. But the guy might be the best defensive coach in the NFL. I have no doubt he has a plan in place for the LB position.

Side not, never bet against a Canisius grad. They are like St. Joe's grads, only with a brain. :)

That comment wasn't lost on me, pal! ;)

SJCI, Class of '94. Nonetheless, go Bills!

we don't have a LB problem unless someone gets hurt. it would be nice to have more depth but meanwhile we do not have a starting OG so I think OL is a bigger problem. picking a player at any other position at 50 would be silly imo

it has somewhat gone away. If referring to his 4 games for PEDs as a rookie, under the new policy, the most he can get if he is popped again is 10 games. He hasn't had anything in 5 years though and claimed it was just a medication he didn't get clarification for. So I don't think it's a huge deterrent to signing him.

OK - thanks for the clarification.

Don't they need a LB who can cover? Brown looked OK at that, but none of the other guys excel at it as far as I know. When they play the Pats, you know Brady will exploit that weakness.

interesting thing was that the knock on Brown coming out of college was that he couldn't cover, but did a great job in coverage last year. I think the Bills go OL in round 1, and get another "Brown" type player who they feel has fallen in the draft in Rd. 2 or 3.

interesting thing was that the knock on Brown coming out of college was that he couldn't cover, but did a great job in coverage last year. I think the Bills go OL in round 1, and get another "Brown" type player who they feel has fallen in the draft in Rd. 2 or 3.

We don't have a 1st round pick.

I could live with that (I assume u mean round 2)

Hopefully OL draft picks from last year step up.....but we need to keep drafting them till this OL shows the ability to move people around even when the opposing defense is game planning against it.

Edited by John from Hemet

Just a side note. I didn't read the entire reply thread but Rex has been known to utilize extra safeties "in the box" to add better coverage options as opposed to going with a standard 4-3 or 3-4 look with linemen and linebackers.

Having 2 every down backers in Brown and Bradham is probably going to be the norm with the 4 down lineman and a "big" safety playing in the box covering the TE, RB or Slot receiver. The other 4 will be a combination of 3 corners and another safety or two and two.

Please stop getting caught up in the basic defense crap, it won't exist and really hasn't for years.

Just a side note. I didn't read the entire reply thread but Rex has been known to utilize extra safeties "in the box" to add better coverage options as opposed to going with a standard 4-3 or 3-4 look with linemen and linebackers.

Having 2 every down backers in Brown and Bradham is probably going to be the norm with the 4 down lineman and a "big" safety playing in the box covering the TE, RB or Slot receiver. The other 4 will be a combination of 3 corners and another safety or two and two.

Please stop getting caught up in the basic defense crap, it won't exist and really hasn't for years.

43 is the mike!

But they're not actually linebackers, and neither can cover worth a lick. They're only called LBs because they'll be playing without a hand on the ground. They're DEs in reality. Who is actually going to play the position as it is traditionally understood? There is no depth at all.

theres no depth, but we also likely will only run with 2 traditional linebackers at most, most plays anyway. as you get into edge rushers, lawson, 3rd safeties in the box.... i could see adding a lb (spikes or draft depending on how the board falls), but i dont think its crisis mode.