The Bills linebacker problem

As of right now, the Bills have five linebackers on the team, and only two are credible NFL players: Preston Brown and Nigel Bradham. The others are Jimmy Gaines, Ty Powell, and Randell Johnson. One could argue that Manny Lawson is a linebacker, but he really isn't one at this point in his career and he isn't listed as one in any case. He's a DE. I don't see Spikes coming back either. I suspect the undrafted Gaines is on the team because despite going to Miami, he's a local - from Getzville and a Canisius HS grad. Both Powell and Johnson were seventh round picks (Powell was drafted by Seattle) and presumably fit for the ST squad only.

I could see the Bills going LB with the 50th pick or 81st pick. They have a clear and definite need.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hughes and mario will likely be at OLB in this base scheme and Bradham and brown at ILB. They will either draft another lb or sign spikes. They do need depth, at least in terms of numbers having lost rivers and Kiko, but are set at starters.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Hughes and Mario are being switched to OLB

But they're not actually linebackers, and neither can cover worth a lick. They're only called LBs because they'll be playing without a hand on the ground. They're DEs in reality. Who is actually going to play the position as it is traditionally understood? There is no depth at all.

Edited by dave mcbride

But they're not actually linebackers, and neither can cover worth a lick. They're only called LBs because they'll be playing without a hand on the ground. They're DEs in reality. Who is actually going to play the position as it is traditionally understood? There is no depth at all.

1] Lawson is a LB and will play LB. What he wasn't was a DE and he didn't play all that much there.

2] I agree that Hughes and Mario are both DE, although you will be surprised how many times they will drop back in coverage (not a lot, mind you, but enough that you will notice). And if you want to call Mario and Hughes DE, there will only be 3 LB on the field about 20% of the plays and maybe less. Most of the time there will be 2 and five DBs (sometimes three safeties and sometimes three CBs)

3] I would not at all be surprised to see Spikes and Landry signed.

i think a lot of people see a spikes re-signing as very likely. that would give us three guys who are "actually linebackers" - enough to run a 4/3 (3 needed) or a 3/4 (2 needed). would that satiate you? those'd be the same 3 dudes we had last year on a pretty successful defense. and i think randell has a chance to be goo - so i'm filing him under depth.

Valid concern and I can definitely see them picking a LB early in the draft. That said, a lot of people didn't think Bradham wasn't anything going into his 2nd year and he emerged into a good starter. So one of these guys might emerge.

It's right not to trust Rex with anything offensive related. But the guy might be the best defensive coach in the NFL. I have no doubt he has a plan in place for the LB position.

Side not, never bet against a Canisius grad. They are like St. Joe's grads, only with a brain. :)

i think a lot of people see a spikes re-signing as very likely. that would give us three guys who are "actually linebackers" - enough to run a 4/3 (3 needed) or a 3/4 (2 needed). would that satiate you? those'd be the same 3 dudes we had last year on a pretty successful defense. and i think randell has a chance to be goo - so i'm filing him under depth.

i agree on Randell in fact I had him pegged to be a candidate for hughes spot if he didn't re-sign. I also think they like Ty Powell and he fits this scheme pretty well. The strength of the DL contributes to the LBs being productive as well.

I think a Shaq Thompson (ie Kam Chancellor) type guy is what we need.

We'll likely be in nickle most of the time, with Williams-Williams-Dareus-Hughes up front (call Mario & Hughes OLB if you want, they'll be primarily rushers/edge contain) with Bradham / Brown in the linebackers spot and Gilmore / Graham / Leodis / Williams in the secondary. That leaves 1 spot, a guy like Thompson, who is a hybrid LB/SS type, would be nice to allow us to basically play nickle and a base 43 (or 34) with the same personnel.

I was under the impression that our starting front seven is:

OLB/DE - Hughes
DT - Dareus

DT - K Williams
DE - M Williams

OLB - Lawson
ILB - Brown
LB - Bradham

We need some depth, for sure, but I think we're pretty well set, especially if we happen to use a 2nd or 3rd on a guy who can step in and provide valuable playing time.

I could be wrong, but the fact that they haven't re-signed Spikes by now tells me that there's not a lot of enthusiasm for him. Also, isn't he a strike away from a season-long suspension or something like that? Plus there is the Hernandez stuff, but I digress.

Lawson looked old and ineffective last year, didn't start one game, and is going to be 31 at the start of the season. LBs are like RBs - they don't age well. He's not going to get better either. Landry himself will be 32 this year, and the dramatic drop in passes defensed last year ( http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LandDa21.htm) along with being a core part of a truly horrible pass D makes me question his value. At this point, is he just a Jim Leonard type - a guy who can direct players in the defense but isn't very good himself? At any rate, he's not a linebacker, a position he's never played.

I'm not questioning anything the Bills are doing, by the way - I'm just saying that they need linebackers. Relying on old guys who can't cover or even keep up with mid-level RBs isn't a solution, especially against the Pats. That's why I think they may take one early. (Fwiw, Walter Football has the Bills taking Benardrick McKinney, a LB from Mississippi State, with the 50th pick. I know nothing about him.)

EDIT: Some info on McKinney: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1852910/benardrick-mckinney

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/benardrick-mckinney?id=2552490

Edited by dave mcbride

Looks to me like there's not a huge issue at LB.

The front 7 in the 30 front will look like this:

Dareus-Charles-K. Williams

Mario-Bradham-Brown-Hughes

The front 7 in the 40 front will look like this:

Mario-Dareus-K. Williams-Hughes

Lawson-Brown-Bradham

Only issues I see are depth-related. Bryant and Wynn are the backup DLmen, and I expect us to draft another early on. Beyond the guys listed, I think they're counting on Randell Johnson and Ty Powell at LB, so another body (Spikes?) would make sense.

I could be wrong, but the fact that they haven't re-signed Spikes by now tells me that there's not a lot of enthusiasm for him. Also, isn't he a strike away from a season-long suspension or something like that? Plus there is the Hernandez stuff, but I digress.

Lawson looked old and ineffective last year, didn't start one game, and is going to be 31 at the start of the season. LBs are like RBs - they don't age well. He's not going to get better either. Landry himself will be 32 this year, and the dramatic drop in passes defensed last year ( http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LandDa21.htm) along with being a core part of a truly horrible pass D makes me question his value. At this point, is he just a Jim Leonard type - a guy who can direct players in the defense but isn't very good himself? At any rate, he's not a linebacker, a position he's never played.

I'm not questioning anything the Bills are doing, by the way - I'm just saying that they need linebackers. Relying on old guys who can't cover or even keep up with mid-level RBs isn't a solution. That's why I think they may take one early. (Fwiw, Walter Football has the Bills taking Benardrick McKinney, a LB from Mississippi State, with the 50th pick. I know nothing about him.)

strike away from a season long suspension? Wha?

strike away from a season long suspension? Wha?

When the Bills signed Spikes last year, that's what was reported if I recall correctly. Presumably, that threat hasn't gone away, but I'm not sure.

My memory may be failing me here. I recall the one-year only deal being a function of the perceived threat of suspension.

Edited by dave mcbride

Looks to me like there's not a huge issue at LB.

The front 7 in the 30 front will look like this:

Dareus-Charles-K. Williams

Mario-Bradham-Brown-Hughes

The front 7 in the 40 front will look like this:

Mario-Dareus-K. Williams-Hughes

Lawson-Brown-Bradham

Only issues I see are depth-related. Bryant and Wynn are the backup DLmen, and I expect us to draft another early on. Beyond the guys listed, I think they're counting on Randell Johnson and Ty Powell at LB, so another body (Spikes?) would make sense.

Don't they need a LB who can cover? Brown looked OK at that, but none of the other guys excel at it as far as I know. When they play the Pats, you know Brady will exploit that weakness.