I'm confused...about Brandon Spikes

I don't know whether or not this has been mentioned (haven't read the whole thread) but I would suspect that Rex would LOVE Brandon Spikes. He epitomizes what Rex talks about when he talks about "being a bully." Spikes plays with a swagger and an edge. He may cross the line occasionally but he plays with that EXACT attitude that Ryan wants in his team.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this guy still looking to re-sign with Buffalo, or some other team? If so it would be in his best interest to not make his thoughts about anything public any longer. The risk is too great for him. But I'm sure he's confused about that too.

If I'm Bills brass, I do some serious thinking about the rish being greater than the reward with this guy. He freely tweets something stupid about a convicted murderer (murder for god's sake! In this town!!) without giving it much thought (I hope). He's in the media spotlight again, and the pictures on all the clicks are of him in a BIlls uniform. YEAH...Awesome, Brandon! Just the imagine we appreciate around here. This is a brilliant part duex to his "4 years a slave" description of life as a Patriot. The guy HAS GOT TO GO at this point in my opinion.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-16%20at%207.24.0

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-16%20at%207.24.3

He is my new least favorite Bill and truly hope he isn't back next year.

Not surprised that one of Urban's guys is confused about the justice system since so many of them got arrested but never were held accountable.

So glad Hernandez is going to rot in prison where he belongs. Let Spikes go visit him.

I don't think this hurts his signing somewhere, but his diminished coverage skills will. Sadly, he is a player with a ton of heart and I would still love for him to wear a Bills uni

The confusion part is that he went to war with Hernandez at Florida and with the Patsies. He probably saw a man different to what he was off the field.

I am pretty desensitized to what people tweet out anymore. Especially athletes. I don't care. It's his opinion. It's his friend. I would never advise anyone to tweet about something like this in general but I don't care when they do.

The beauty about Social Media is that anything can be taken out of context. I remember listening to a coach tell his team to think 10 times before they post and ask the question, "Can this get me kicked off the team?"

I don't know whether or not this has been mentioned (haven't read the whole thread) but I would suspect that Rex would LOVE Brandon Spikes. He epitomizes what Rex talks about when he talks about "being a bully." Spikes plays with a swagger and an edge. He may cross the line occasionally but he plays with that EXACT attitude that Ryan wants in his team.

He is quite butch out there. It's "Play like you don't know how stupid you are!"

I hope Ryan shoots a little bit higher than having Spikes epitimize the attitude of this team. Sadly, I don't think he will.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I believe there is a date when signing a FA doesn't hurt your compensatory picks...

May 12th is the magic date

Why does Spikes count in our comp pick formula unless he signs elsewhere? I don't see how resigning one of our guys would affect our return.

1) I have no issue with the OP starting a separate thread. I always wonder about why people seem to take such glee in posting that something is being discussed in another thread. Some seem to consider themselves the thread police.

2) I would like the Bills to bring Spikes back. He is a great team leader and run stopper. Let's also keep in mind that he has not committed any crimes. I do not know what part of the criminal justice system he is confused about, but I also would be confused by what happened to his brother (if as reported by an earlier poster).

Risk vs reward - Spikes isn't good enough to smear the Bills imagine all over the interent, even if it's only for a couple of days. Pot is the gateway drug. Tweets show you what may be in store for this guy down the road. Miley Cyrus's flat @$$ vs. her really cool smoker's voice and enlightening personality? Risk vs. reward.

By your own logic, if you're a believer in PR, then the positive buzz we're getting from Rex simply can't be out done by this stupid blip.

Edited by The Big Cat

1) I have no issue with the OP starting a separate thread. I always wonder about why people seem to take such glee in posting that something is being discussed in another thread. Some seem to consider themselves the thread police.

2) I would like the Bills to bring Spikes back. He is a great team leader and run stopper. Let's also keep in mind that he has not committed any crimes. I do not know what part of the criminal justice system he is confused about, but I also would be confused by what happened to his brother (if as reported by an earlier poster).

Agreed on all points! :thumbsup:

I'm sure Whaley is thinking of a number where Spikes would be worth what is left of cap space. If Spikes will agree to that number he'll be back. I hope so, for the simple reason the guy seems to WANT to be here. That goes a long way both in coming to an agreeable number and in game play when the season starts.

By your own logic, if you're a believer in PR, then the positive buzz we're getting from Rex simply can't be out done by this stupid blip.

I honestly don't care too much about PR as long as it's not negative and/or about pretty damning things - like murder. Every five years or so an athlete compares pro sports to slavery. Those words are not worth the ink or paper they're printed with. Spikes is not a PR disaster, just an unwise commentator who I would rather not have on my squad. Sometimes guys like him play an important part in a team's swagger and it can have a positive impact on the win/loss column. But sooner rather than later, it hurts the club. Again, risk (some don't care at all what Spikes tweets or says) vs. reward (is he good enough to be an idiot on the Bills?).

I think you're saying that by my logic, the positives are equal to the negatives. I'm absolutely not saying that. I think most of us agree that negatives have a far greater impact on our lives than the positives. What say you?

Edited by Thrivefourfive

» A change in the NFL offseason calendar could impact how free agents are signed. In previous years, unrestricted free agents signed by other teams counted toward the league's compensatory pick formula until June 1. That day has been moved to May 12, meaning a lot of veteran signings could happen right after May 12.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000483423/article/which-teams-have-signed-the-mostfewest-players

I think we'll see quite a number of vets signed all over the league in that time frame.

I think Spikes coming back is borderline crucial.

It's significant, for sure. He fits the bill as a situational player, and his 'tude is apropos to Rex's philosophy on D.

I think he wants to be here, and I think the FO and especially Rex want him here. Thing is, can they get him and somebody else in under the cap.

Bills could make use of his skills.

his twitter stuff is a separate issue, and i dont think it was so volatile to change my opinion of him. It was a reaction to a rather dramatic situation.

I would have distanced myself from it though.

But even my friends who have become total dbags, or lost their way, need some hope and some support to recover and redeem.

and yes i have have some.

i dont think Spikes was condoning anything bad Aaron did.

He enjoyed hanging out with, and is a close friend of a guy convicted of murder, due to go to trial for 2 other murders, and that shot a "friend" in the face.

If Spikes ends up in trouble, will all the people that attacked the Pats for drafting and rewarding Hernandez ( "enabling" him), then attack the Bills with "all the signs were there with Spikes, they should be accountable"? I doubt it.