EJ worked out with former NFL QB Steve DeBerg

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what is it symbolic of? how do you already know it lacks substance? And why the snarkiness about a young player seeking out coaching/mentoring to try and improve his game?

Yeah, I wonder how many TSW posters try to get better at their jobs on a continuous basis. Not very many, I suspect, even if it is something 'symbolic'...

Does you guys remember the EJ "lull" last year?

I recall 1/2 our section sleeping by the second quarter, he would literally lull us to sleep. That is how boring our offense was.

Orton really sparked that offense and saved the season.

What is this guy going to teach EJ that is actually going to help when real bullets are flying?

Imo

IMO

Orton proved he could lead the NFL in 3 and outs.

please stick to your "inside information" and leave the player evaluation to the Pro's

I like that he said he's only changing his mechanics a bit. I've always read that you can't really change the throwing motion you've had all your life cause when you get tired or under pressure you revert back to the most comfortable original position. You can change some little things but thats about it.

I don't know why anyone would be judging DeBerg's value as a tutor solely based on his NFL success (or lack thereof) on the field. Most of the best coaches never even played NFL ball. He's probably a top-100 or top-150 QB in NFL history, regardless. Now, the fact that he comes across as shell-shocked in interviews might be a bit more concerning, but even, there are people who are built for being in the public eye, and there are great one-on-one teachers.

Does you guys remember the EJ "lull" last year?

I recall 1/2 our section sleeping by the second quarter, he would literally lull us to sleep. That is how boring our offense was.

Orton really sparked that offense and saved the season.

What is this guy going to teach EJ that is actually going to help when real bullets are flying?

Imo

Man, after originally making such a name for yourself, you sure are working on losing credibility.

They care about winning, not developing talent for the NFL.

And recruiting. They can't ignore the NFL because it's a selling point ("we've had x number of D-linemen go to the show") but I would agree that there doesn't necessarily seem to be a lot of focus on teaching fundamentals -- particularly to QBs. Coaches know they'll only have these guys for 2-3 years and have to be constantly looking for the next one.

I like that he said he's only changing his mechanics a bit. I've always read that you can't really change the throwing motion you've had all your life cause when you get tired or under pressure you revert back to the most comfortable original position. You can change some little things but thats about it.

I agree. EJ's accuracy will improve when/if he gains confidence. It's not rocket science to throw a football to a teammate. If he gains confidence, he will be more accurate. It's really just that simple. It doesn't mean that confidence will make him a top 10 QB. It just means that his accuracy will improve. We shall see.

Whenever I hear about changing mechanics I think about my High-school tennis coach changing my backhand at the end of my sophomore year and how it was worse my entire junior year, it was better my senior year but how much was from changed mechanics and how much just from maturing and hours of hitting I don't know - and I don't know if this is relevant to football but I hope EJ doesn't go through worse before it's better.

My high school jv basketball coach. Wasnt until varsity where i just did what i felt comfortable doing and it worked... some idiots would change Reggie Miller's shooting form. Why not just let someone especially at this point in the game just play. EJs problem was never any of this crap. His problem is that there are too many people trying to coach and control him. Je needs one guy MAYBE 2 who can make him stronger in what he is good at. Teach him to read an NFL defense. How to know when to take off. And boost his comfort and confidence. He got through high school. Through college... and now in the league. He did something right. Maybe he is never a nfl qb consistently. But let's him play and lets evaluate HIS GAME. I honestly think his ceiling is Cam Newton. How many wouldnt want him here.

Edited by Agent 91

IMO

Orton proved he could lead the NFL in 3 and outs.

please stick to your "inside information" and leave the player evaluation to the Pro's

Like Whaley, who pulled Orton off the couch and gave hi a 2 year contract?

Man, after originally making such a name for yourself, you sure are working on losing credibility.

FWIW others labeled him an insider. he predicted he hiring of Rex the day before it happened, since then nada.

um sure. the more relevant question .... was it Whaley who put him on the field to lead the NFL in most 3 and outs by an offense?

if so then yes we can blame Whaley.

FWIW others labeled him an insider. he predicted he hiring of Rex the day before it happened, since then nada.

um sure. the more relevant question .... was it Whaley who put him on the field to lead the NFL in most 3 and outs by an offense?

if so then yes we can blame Whaley.

Whaley and Marrone's famous camp sdieline fight was over Whaley's signing of Orton, fearing it would alter EJ's "fragile confidence". After EJ stumbled out of the gate, Marrone reversed himself on Orton likely because he felt with another losing season (with EJ), the new owner would clean house (which is also why Whaley signed Orton).

You should apologize to Leroi..

Edited by Mr. WEO

Whaley and Marrone's famous camp sdieline fight was over Whaley's signing of Orton, fearing it would alter EJ's "fragile confidence". After EJ stumbled out of the gate, Marrone reversed himself on Orton likely because he felt with another losing season (with EJ), the new owner would clean house (which is also why Whaley signed Orton).

What in the world are you rambling about? The IMO guy said a dumb statement about Orton saying the season. Bills Fan pointed out how dumb it because Orton did nothing to save the season (they weren't last in 3 and outs, they were 26th). Orton had the same QBR as Manuel did as a rookie and basically had the same winning % as Manuel (NE didn't try).

So to say Orton saved the season is mindblowingly dumb.

Also, I'd take this DeBerg season from one of our QBs:

His best years were with the Chiefs, during which he led the team to two playoff berths and had his best year in 1990 with a 96.3 quarterback rating, passing for 3,444 yards, 23 touchdowns and only 4 interceptions, with 3 of those interceptions coming in one game.

I still think EJ should spend all offseason hanging with Peyton.

I am pretty sure Whaley hired Orton to be a backup. And considering Orton's career to that point, it was not a bad decision. Also, before you bring up money, Whaley had to pay up as there were few other backup options available at the time.

What in the world are you rambling about? The IMO guy said a dumb statement about Orton saying the season. Bills Fan pointed out how dumb it because Orton did nothing to save the season (they weren't last in 3 and outs, they were 26th). Orton had the same QBR as Manuel did as a rookie and basically had the same winning % as Manuel (NE didn't try).

So to say Orton saved the season is mindblowingly dumb.

Also, I'd take this DeBerg season from one of our QBs:

I still think EJ should spend all offseason hanging with Peyton.

Pretty straightforward. Bill 4ever fan said Leroi wasn't as good at assessing Orton as "the pros". I simply pointed out that our "pro" thought highly enough about Orton (and was shakey enough over EJ) that he brought in Orton at the 11th hour before the season started. No reason to believe that we would have had a winning record with EJ as starter.

Also, there is no reason to believe (for the same reasons) that Orton would not still be on the roster right now if he hadn't quit football (again).

So..leroi and our "pro" pretty much have the same opinion of Orton.

I didn't think it was that hard to follow, honestly.

Edited by Mr. WEO

The reasons for the sideline argument are not known and so are subject to the spin on either side of the argument. In effect, holds little merit.

No one owes anything to Leroi. And definitely not an apology.

The reasons for the sideline argument are not known and so are subject to the spin on either side of the argument. In effect, holds little merit.

No one owes anything to Leroi. And definitely not an apology.

Someone other than Whaley and Marrone know--it was a public dispute.

Undisputed "league sources" leaked the context of the exchange. The way things have come out over the period since MArrone left (re: his relationship with Whaley) leaves little else to be inferred.

Also, Le Roi (the King-french) and "Rex" (King-latin).....uh huh, that's right!

Edited by Mr. WEO