Is Jameis Winston really worth 1st pick overall?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And this is where my problem is. They have an obvious need for QB but does that mean they need to draft a question mark or would they be better off going with another player with top 10 grade that will have an immediate impact.

I honestly don't see the appeal of him, or Mariota for that matter, but they will both go in the first round because the QB class is weaker than ever.

So to answer the question, no he's not worth the #1 pick but he probably will be.

Every player is a question mark... Winston has a chance to help the team more at #1.

a lot of miles on the arm with his pitching added in

I really wonder how much of a factor that could be and if he's done any long term damage. Russell Wilson played baseball all through college, but I don't believe he was a pitcher. Historically Elway was a very good baseball player and a high pick by the Yankees. Todd Helton was Peyton's backup at Tennessee but never had any problems in the bigs. I'm sure there were other successful QBs who pitched growing up/in high school.

No, I think he will be a bust.

Pretty much agree. Maybe not a total bust, but he'll never live up to the over-blown expectations. Maybe a 3rd rounder, but not a first. Just guessing here like everyone else.

I'm surprised there's such a wide difference of opinion here. Sure, emotional development and decision making off the field are a question. He just turned 21 in January. Where were you when you were 18-20? I made mistakes, and I wasn't living a strange life in a fish bowl. On the field the guy just looks different from the other QB's. He can make all the throws. He's into the game and he gets his guys fired up. He needs a stable situation, but he's a stud in so many ways. Maybe I'm swayed by having a son who's a senior at FSU and a big Jameis supporter, or maybe by having watched Winston so much and seeing him do (almost) nothing but win.

Edited by Augie

https://devcentral.f5.com/weblogs/images/devcentral_f5_com/weblogs/macvittie/WindowsLiveWriter/TheThreeItysofCloudComputing_461E/Coffee%20Mug%20-%20Far%20Side%20Damned%20if%20You%20Do%20Dont_2.jpg

Teams have taken different strategies having the #1 pick.

Over the last 10 years

6 QB: Luck, Newton, Bradford, Stafford, Jabustus Russell, Alex Smith

3 overall positive impact on the team

3 negative** over the 1st 5 years (Russell, Bradford, Smith)

2 DE: Mario Williams, Jadevon Clowney (both by Houston)

1 positive (Williams was a good player until he left in FA)

1 neutral (could turn it around, but 1st year wasn't much to crow ab out)

2 OL: Eric Fisher, Jake Long

Jake Long has been kind of spotty and no longer with his drafting team

Eric Fisher, career is young yet but his rookie season didn't exactly light up Arrowhead. He may improve.

Some teams take a QB and either they win big or lose big - that loss is now mitigated by the CBA limiting rookie salaries. **Bradford may yet be a good QB, but his impact on his team over the 1st 5 years has been negative because he's been injured so much, but they have too much invested in him to look elsewhere. Similar 1st 5 years for Alex Smith

Some teams don't take a QB - Houston has gone D with 2 #1 picks in the last 10 years. Lack of a consistent long term starting QB may be one reason why they've had 2 #1 picks in the 1st place.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that even the #1 pick is kind of a 50-50 proposition - sometimes you get a great player, sometimes you don't get a guy who lives up to what you hope at that position.

Short Answer: No

Long(er) Answer: No, but no one else really is worth it with the possible exception of Leonard Williams, who the Bucs dnt need as badly as they need a QB

leonard williams has HOF potential. excited to watch him play in the nfl.

This board is unreal sometimes. It is amazing how many people can hate on a 6'5" QB who is extremely accurate, with the arm strength to make every throw and who went 28-1 at a major program in his two years there. Also a guy who is extremely competitive and, according to those who know, has a very high football IQ. Yep, sounds like a bust to me.

Though I can't even stand listening to him talk or watching him on the sidelines, if we had the #1 pick We'd already be lining up to buy his jersey. If you don't have an elite QB your #1 mission is to get an elite #1 QB. He could be a bust naturally, but you must get your guy when the opportunity presents itself.

Watch the games. Yes. Jameis winston should be the 1st pick in the draft. Some QBs throw the ball effortlessly to the perfect spot.... Some QBs aim the ball the best they can to the spot they think the wr should be. Some have it. Some don't. Ej doesn't. Winston does, imo. I'd trade this years draft and next years draft for winston in a heartbeat.

Pretty much agree. Maybe not a total bust, but he'll never live up to the over-blown expectations. Maybe a 3rd rounder, but not a first. Just guessing here like everyone else.

Maybe a 3rd.....wake up man. zero chance that he'd ever make it out of the 2nd rd......and he's pretty much a no brainer as the number 1 pick.....yet yo wouldn't take him til the 3rd rd. you should be a GM.....in the AFC east. Lord could only be so kind.