Is Jameis Winston really worth 1st pick overall?

Maybe a 3rd.....wake up man. zero chance that he'd ever make it out of the 2nd rd......and he's pretty much a no brainer as the number 1 pick.....yet yo wouldn't take him til the 3rd rd. you should be a GM.....in the AFC east. Lord could only be so kind.

I don't think that is what he meant.... I think he was saying that he expects that his production will ultimately be starter but not star (pretty much what you expect from a guy you draft in the 3rd).

If he meant that he won't go until the 3rd then he is mad.

Ok so this is only the 3rd year since the Luck draft and the year immediately following - 2013 was considered a very weak Quarterback class. In 2014 I thought there were lots of guys worth taking but nothing even approaching a sure thing and nobody genuinely worth a top 10 pick. I'd take both of the top 2 Quarterbacks this year ahead of any of those guys but the other factor in that is that last year's first round had a lot of talent at other positions too.... Watkins, Mack, OBJ, Evans, Matthews, Robinson, Martin, Clowney to name but a few. I don't think there is the same quality of player at other positions to force Winston and Mariota down this year and that coupled with their abilites should make them the first two picks in my mind.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the Browns would offer there 2 first rd picks to move up to the 1st or 2nd pick.

When a team needs a franchise QB its a gamble , at least the salary is no longer huge for a rookie.

I wonder if the Browns would offer there 2 first rd picks to move up to the 1st or 2nd pick.

When a team needs a franchise QB its a gamble , at least the salary is no longer huge for a rookie.

it has been rumored that they are going to try to trade up for Mariota or make another run at Bradford. It was reported yesterday that they may now try trading the 12th pick to Phil for him. They previously offered the 19th pick to StL for him and it was turned down because they didn't have a good enough qb to package with the pick to the Rams. The rams were more interested in which qb they were getting than which draft pick. In addition, it was reported that Bradford wasn't open to signing a long term deal with cleveland when he becomes a FA this year but he was open to that with Phil. That was another reason the Browns couldn't make the trade work. I don't know if that has changed but apparently they still want to try to trade for him on draft day. Edited by YoloinOhio

Watch the games. Yes. Jameis winston should be the 1st pick in the draft. Some QBs throw the ball effortlessly to the perfect spot.... Some QBs aim the ball the best they can to the spot they think the wr should be. Some have it. Some don't. Ej doesn't. Winston does, imo. I'd trade this years draft and next years draft for winston in a heartbeat.

Apparently that perfect spot is often (alarmingly) occupied by a defensive back or the air behind him. But, I must agree he does throw ints effortlessly.

Matt Ryan threw near 20 INT's as a senior at BC. Pretty sure we'd all take him in a heartbeat. Don't get lost in the stats, those who break down film say a lot of Winston's INT's were due to freshmen wideouts going to the wrong spot or giving up on the play. The FSU defense was a shell of what it was the year prior, Winston had to force the issue more often than not which led to him forcing balls into tight spots. He's a fine pick at #1.

Matt Ryan threw near 20 INT's as a senior at BC. Pretty sure we'd all take him in a heartbeat. Don't get lost in the stats, those who break down film say a lot of Winston's INT's were due to freshmen wideouts going to the wrong spot or giving up on the play. The FSU defense was a shell of what it was the year prior, Winston had to force the issue more often than not which led to him forcing balls into tight spots. He's a fine pick at #1.

There is no comparion between the talent Ryan played with and Winston did. None. He wasn't great last year in not a great conference.

I want my QBs to be the smartest guy on and off the field. Physically, Winston looks like the 1st overall pick. Mentally, he seems like a 7th rounder or undrafted free agent.

But if you believe he can be a franchise QB, you have to take him and surround him with good people.

There is no comparion between the talent Ryan played with and Winston did. None. He wasn't great last year in not a great conference.

I want my QBs to be the smartest guy on and off the field. Physically, Winston looks like the 1st overall pick. Mentally, he seems like a 7th rounder or undrafted free agent.

But if you believe he can be a franchise QB, you have to take him and surround him with good people.

Just curious as to what interviews you've done or investigations to have you think he is a 7th rounder, mentally. Pretty good grades in college and knew his playbook inside and out. Led FSU to consecutive undefeated regular seasons. And the ACC stood up to any conference last season, even the SEC,IMO.

Just curious as to what interviews you've done or investigations to have you think he is a 7th rounder, mentally. Pretty good grades in college and knew his playbook inside and out. Led FSU to consecutive undefeated regular seasons. And the ACC stood up to any conference last season, even the SEC,IMO.

Yelling "Eff her right in the kitty cat" at a campus dining hall after being accused of rape and winning a Heisman doesn't scream smart.

i have to agree, the ACC was better, and JW was considerably worse than the year before. The toughest defense (second toughest maybe) was Florida and he threw 4 picks in that game. And while Florida had a good defense, probably not more than 4 of those guys go on to play on Sunday and certainly not all 4 of the guys in the secondary.

And in the grand scheme of things.....Matt Ryan has certainly had an above average (maybe, if you trend against all QBs, ever) career, he has also had an ELITE (almost?) set of receivers and TE.

Yelling "Eff her right in the kitty cat" at a campus dining hall after being accused of rape and winning a Heisman doesn't scream smart.

Meaning.....he might be intelligent but he ain't very smart.

Ask this question a couple months ago and I would say no in a heartbeat. Too many off the field issues and looked like he was making terrible decisions in his bowl game. The more that I read now, the more I lean towards a yes answer. He had the best combine of any quarterback. He missed only 10 throws out of more than 100 at his pro day. Before his pro day started, he introduced all of his receivers to the coaches that were there to watch him throw, and threw a bunch of extra balls to showcase them. Some team staff not to be named have said that he's the smartest guy they've seen from a football perspective, to come out of college. Basically he's showing the same type of football acumen that they saw from guys like Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck. I hate all of the off the field stuff. It makes me wonder whether he's mature enough to be a leader for a team in the NFL. Pretty much everything else though says otherwise.

I was sucked into the character stuff with Cam... Winston wants to win, and he can play. He relied way more on his arm more than his feet in college with his Otron-esce speed. Talking slower than, maybe every starting NFL qb save Brady and 40 year old peyton.

If he is not the first player off of the board, it will surprise everyone, as it should.

The good news given the wide disparity on views re Winston is that we will find out whether he is cut out to be a top pick in the NFL draft.

If he ends up being the top pick (or a top pick), it will be interesting to see how this guy copes with inferior talent around him (relatively speaking) and having millions of dollars to spend.

I am just glad that the Bills will not be in a position to even be tempted to rake him with a top pick. Silver lining.

Agreed, god forbid the Bills ever get a chance at a top QB prospect. I like these bad QBs, they give the Bills a nice mediocre feeling.

I keep seeing how Tampa should draft Winston because Jimbo Fisher runs a pro style offense and is the most NFL

ready. I disagree. Off the field issues aside this is how Jimbo Fisher's former Qb's careers have fared in the NFL thus far, EJ is not in good company.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/jameis-winston?id=2552485

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/71565/jimbo-fisher-knows-how-to-groom-qbs

EJ Manuel

Drafted 1st round 2013

Gms Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate

15 437 256 58.6 29.1 2,810 6.4 187.3 16 3.7 12 2.7 80 41 5 34 203 78.5

Christian Ponder

Drafted 1st round 2011

38 1,057 632 59.8 27.8 6,658 6.3 175.2 38 3.6 36 3.4 72 77 9 95 501 75.9

Matt Flynn

Drafted 7th round 2008

51 357 219 61.3 7.0 2,541 7.1 49.8 17 4.8 11 3.1 80 29 6 39 209 85.9

JaMarcus Russel

Drafted 1st round 2007

31 680 354 52.1 21.9 4,083 6.0 131.7 18 2.6 23 3.4 86 50 7 70 457 65.2

Matt Mauck

Drafted 7th round 2004

2 27 15 55.6 13.5 136 5.0 68.0 0 0.0 1 3.7 17 0 0 1 8 53.9

Craig Nall

Drafted 5th round 2002

7 48 30 62.5 6.9 402 8.4 57.4 5 10.4 0 0.0 43 6 1 3 18 123.8

Rohan Davey

Drafted 4th round 2002

7 19 8 42.1 2.7 88 4.6 12.6 0 0.0 0 0.0 20 1 0 0 0 56.5

Josh Booty

Drafted 6th round 2001

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

You really tried to compare Jameis Winston to these bums? LMFAO, good one.

Agreed, god forbid the Bills ever get a chance at a top QB prospect. I like these bad QBs, they give the Bills a nice mediocre feeling.

That's not accurate.. Out of all the starters in the NFL, the bills weren't in any position to acquire only eli, rivers, luck, ryan, cam, stafford.... There is Ben and bortles.. But even that is debatable.

The Rodgers pick was squandered on jp, Flacco, Carr, wilson, brady, dalton, Tanny, keap, romo, were there.

Alex smith, peyton, Brees, cutler, Bradford, Palmer are all decoupled from their draft status.

There are plenty of missed chances...

Jameis Winston is no Andrew Luck. I am glad you are so sure that this kid is so great. I do not. Not at all.

The silver lining comment was truly special. Makes one proud be to be a Bills fan.

In my view, this kid just is not worth the gamble. Maybe you think so. I do not. I wish we had a number one pick to draft an Andrew Luck or an Aaron Rodgers. It really would have hurt not having a number one pick to draft a guy like that. Given that Winston is the one that is in the draft this year softens the blow.