Anyone catch Brandon Spikes on NFL AM?

He is talking about Bills fans and all the moves the team is making. I really wish the Bills would bring him back. I know they have an offer out for backup money. I am crossing my fingers he comes back. I think he could be valuable in run D and leadership and he loves Buffalo! Come on Rex...

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree - this guy should be on the team. He was the heart of that defense last year and the biggest reason for the improvement against the run.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Re-sign Spikes NOW!!

great leader, great run stopper. unfortunately he's only a 2 down player or for short yardage situations and he doesn't fit into a 3-4 scheme. i wish we would keep him and run a 4-3 though. just let Mario and Hughes rush the passer. they liked Schwartz's scheme because they didn't have to think, they just put their hand in the dirt and rushed. we will still have a good defense either way but i just really liked our D last year and we have the right personnel for it already, especially if we bring back Spikes

It may be situational player money not backup money. Still he was 100% opposite of what the "character" judges feared he was. would like to see things work out.

it is more "situational" money and not backup but I thought of it that way because we still need depth at the LB position no matter what. Even if he really doesn't have a starting role in a 3-4 we are thin at the position after cutting Rivers and trading Kiko. I am sure they plan to draft a guy but I think a vet like Spikes is very good to have since our other LBs are rather young.

Especially since his teammates elected him a captain last year!

Edited by YoloinOhio

The problem with Spikes is that he is a base defense guy at this point. Calling him a 2 down LBer is not accurate. If the offense comes out with anyone in the slot, regardless of down, Spikes goes to the sideline. With teams spending more time in the nickel than their base, Spikes is relegated to role playing no matter what team he'll play for. Even in the base D, he struggles in coverage.

Even with the Clay signing I think they could fit him in as the cap isn't much of an issue for a 2-3 million dollar type player that Spikes would be. Spikes brought a physical and nasty element to the defense last year and was a huge factor for the improvement against the run. He would be a perfect early down thumper against the run for Rex. Another poster also mentioned Dawan Landry as a possibility would love to see him brought in too for a low rent 1 year deal. Landry is a Rex guy who could implement the system and provide a vet option to Duke Williams.

I understand the purpose of the board is to discuss ideas. I also like Spikes and what he brought to the Bills, but Rex knows what he is doing when it comes to defense. If they only want him at a certain price tag then so be it. Hopefully Spikes gets the type of role that he is looking for, he deserves it, I just don't see it for him in Buffalo.

Perhaps Bills have told him they will work something out after they are done in FA? He hasn't gone on any visits that I know of and he seems to still act like part of the team, so maybe he knows something

He is talking about Bills fans and all the moves the team is making. I really wish the Bills would bring him back. I know they have an offer out for backup money. I am crossing my fingers he comes back. I think he could be valuable in run D and leadership and he loves Buffalo! Come on Rex...

I think they should bring him back as well in a depth role.. I was wondering g what his status was.

Edited by DirtDart