Charles Clay REPORT: Dolphins won't match offer sheet

I don't think so.

Clay 2014: 58 receptions 605 yards and 3 TDs

Metzelaars 1993: 68 receptions 609 yards and 4 TDs.

Keith McKeller never came close, neither did Jay Riemersma, nor Mark Brammer.

It was quoted earlier in the thread and it was about his 2013 season not last year.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#42 is available too.

Isn't this the number that Jerome Felton will be using?

- Here's a fun little snippit from a Dolphins fan perspective. In the comments section from

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/03/17/miami-dolphins-gamble-with-charles-clay-didnt-have-to-happen/

"How about a little loyalty too, this is not only on the Phins, Clay is playing games, he has been offered reasonable contracts and has not signed. Let him trade South Beach for Buffalo. and the state income tax that comes with playing in NY. OH who is gonna be his QB? Clay may not be a favorite target there. Also the Dolphin's upside ids muchhigher than the bills"

- Dophins upside higher than the Bills?

- One more good quote from the comments section of the same source -

"Rex Ryan will bury Buffalo in bad contracts. I know I am not the only one saying it. The reason Rex is in Buffalo is to sell tickets, not a because he wins, because it is like a circus.Let them overpay for Clay. We will pay a little to much for the right players like Suh."

Can't wait to watch McCoy run right by Suh. Was he a factor at all when Buffalo played Detroit in 2014?

Great stuff guys, good discussion!

I suppose the other problem would be the player doesn't have any guaranteed money in the later part of his contract. So he could hold out. Signing a new deal wouldn't alleviate the signing bonus from the previous contract would it?

they could, but after what they gave him the first couple years hed be a real jerk. its happened but its not common. and with the high dead money, it practically guarantees dollars past the actual guarantee as you wouldnt cut him.

and no, once you pay a guy the signing bonus, you dont get to just forget that money even if you restructure. you have to account for it at some point.

Overpaying is not necessarily a bad thing as long as you don't do it all the time.

If we offered a market-value contract to every FA we wanted, we wouldn't sign many. Some team or another is usually willing to overpay a name FA. So to be competitive, you sometimes have to overpay a few FAs while searching for value elsewhere.

It's like going to a fast food restaurant. You might order a few things from the value menu but you might also overpay for one of the premium items to get the meal you really want.

The bottom line is the Bills have a lot of talent on offense, defense and special teams and stayed under the same salary cap that Miami, and every other team, has to fit under.

Overall, we seem to be spending wisely. If we could only find a QB to spend on.

Can't wait to watch McCoy run right by Suh. Was he a factor at all when Buffalo played Detroit in 2014?

Great stuff guys, good discussion!

Good question, and Im glad you asked it because for the past month or so Ive been under the impression that Suh was out for the Bills game and didnt play. I decided to finally go look it up, and sure enough, he did play in the Bills game! But was a complete non-factor. 3 Tackles, 2 Assts and only 1 of those being a stuff. And that was against last year's offensive line. Totally not worried about him now.

Good question, and Im glad you asked it because for the past month or so Ive been under the impression that Suh was out for the Bills game and didnt play. I decided to finally go look it up, and sure enough, he did play in the Bills game! But was a complete non-factor. 3 Tackles, 2 Assts and only 1 of those being a stuff. And that was against last year's offensive line. Totally not worried about him now.

I almost think that Orton ran into him for the sack, but could be wrong.

Can we start a poll now about who thinks the Fins will match the Bills offer?

CBF

Or one about how long the Dolphins will take to announce a decision. To me, it's a lock that they make the Bills wait every second possible before announcing a decision. In fact, and assuming they don't match, do they even have to do anything? I realize that it would probably be good form to put out a statement announcing they don't intend to match (and thanking Clay for his time in Miami), but is that technically required?

Isn't this the number that Jerome Felton will be using?

- Here's a fun little snippit from a Dolphins fan perspective. In the comments section from

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/03/17/miami-dolphins-gamble-with-charles-clay-didnt-have-to-happen/

"How about a little loyalty too, this is not only on the Phins, Clay is playing games, he has been offered reasonable contracts and has not signed. Let him trade South Beach for Buffalo. and the state income tax that comes with playing in NY. OH who is gonna be his QB? Clay may not be a favorite target there. Also the Dolphin's upside ids muchhigher than the bills"

- Dophins upside higher than the Bills?

Yeh property taxes are higher, but if Clay is raising a family, NY schools are that much better. Services are better unless you are an old person, so the tax argument has two sides. Also sales taxes in FL make up for a lot of the disparity in income and property taxes. Also there are many right offs on Fed from State taxes that he can take advantage of. IMO the reason I am in NY now is because I have kids. When I retire, I will move south to a lower income tax state. Just the way it should work and they can take care of my oldness through medicaid and medicare.

Overpaying is not necessarily a bad thing as long as you don't do it all the time.

If we offered a market-value contract to every FA we wanted, we wouldn't sign many. Some team or another is usually willing to overpay a name FA. So to be competitive, you sometimes have to overpay a few FAs while searching for value elsewhere.

It's like going to a fast food restaurant. You might order a few things from the value menu but you might also overpay for one of the premium items to get the meal you really want.

The bottom line is the Bills have a lot of talent on offense, defense and special teams and stayed under the same salary cap that Miami, and every other team, has to fit under.

Overall, we seem to be spending wisely. If we could only find a QB to spend on.

I like the analogy! People regularly overpay for soft drinks (like free agents) because they are focused, rightly, on the overall meal (team), not each item on the menu.

Sound off....

Anyone who thinks the Fins WILL NOT match the offer, type "I"

I

CBF

Sound off.... I 2

I don't think that's a 1, but a lowercase 'L'. As in Lupati.

kj

I read somewhere that the Fins have the fourth highest amount of 'dead cap' money in 2015 (I believe around $18 million-plus).

That has to factor into their roster budgeting when it comes to need-to-have vs. want-to-have player decisions...

It's almost $27 million actually