[closed]Bills interested in TE Charles Clay--update: F5 and stuff

YoloinOhio

My buddy is a huge phins fan & isn't too excited to see him getting signed for 7 million. Clay doesn't fit that traditional TE role & is more of a niche, split out side H back type guy.

I'm just not a fan of giving an H back 7 million dollars unless Roman has big plans for him.

I doubt Cameron will command that type of money & has the frame to be a starting TE. He has the numbers to back up his talent as a receiver & should be had for somewhere in the 3-5 million range I would think. His concussion history is worrying though.

Or Gresham. He is your prototypical TE that is an excellent blocker. I really liked him coming out of Oklahoma & he is no slouch as a pass catcher either. He definitely will not command 7 million a season. Offer him 4 years / 15 million & then take the savings over Clay to sign Iupati, Franklin, or Boling.

This is going to be run first team so getting one of those big 3 OGs is key IMO

ProFootballTalk retweeted

In 2 years, CAP has risen 16.49% ($123M--$143.28M). Simple math would dictate: $5M player is now $5.8M and $8M player is now $9.3M

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ProFootballTalk retweeted

In 2 years, CAP has risen 16.49% ($123M--$143.28M). Simple math would dictate: $5M player is now $5.8M and $8M player is now $9.3M

This is a concept that seems to be lost every year around this time. People don't like paying $X million to a player because they think he's only worth $Y, but the $Y is often based on last year's thinking and doesn't take into account the way salaries rise by significant amounts every year.

This is a concept that seems to be lost every year around this time. People don't like paying $X million to a player because they think he's only worth $Y, but the $Y is often based on last year's thinking and doesn't take into account the way salaries rise by significant amounts every year.

I read the comment in here right after I saw this on Twitter...

Salaries will raise every year, with the numbers that we are starting to see now; it will be interesting how many holdouts in a year or 2 will start to appear

Edited by Reed83HOF

My buddy is a huge phins fan & isn't too excited to see him getting signed for 7 million. Clay doesn't fit that traditional TE role & is more of a niche, split out side H back type guy.

I'm just not a fan of giving an H back 7 million dollars unless Roman has big plans for him.

I doubt Cameron will command that type of money & has the frame to be a starting TE. He has the numbers to back up his talent as a receiver & should be had for somewhere in the 3-5 million range I would think. His concussion history is worrying though.

Or Gresham. He is your prototypical TE that is an excellent blocker. I really liked him coming out of Oklahoma & he is no slouch as a pass catcher either. He definitely will not command 7 million a season. Offer him 4 years / 15 million & then take the savings over Clay to sign Iupati, Franklin, or Boling.

Just a few things...

Cameron will get a ton more than you think, I think

I doubt the bills give home 7m or more without a plan for him so Id say that point is a given

We can still get a guard even if we get him

Cameron's concussion problems are more than "worrying". This is football. One more shot to the head might mean curtains for him.

I'm assuming if Bills sign him to an offer it will be tomorrow to get the 7 day clock ticking. Bills Front Office seems to be on their game so you gotta think they'll front-load the contract so Dolphins won't be able to match with their cap situation. Otherwise they'd needlessly be tying up a lot of cap space for a week that could go to someone else.

I'm assuming if Bills sign him to an offer it will be tomorrow to get the 7 day clock ticking. Bills Front Office seems to be on their game so you gotta think they'll front-load the contract so Dolphins won't be able to match with their cap situation. Otherwise they'd needlessly be tying up a lot of cap space for a week that could go to someone else.

That's what I think. the Fins will probably take the whole week but the Bills have cap room to get whomever they want, depending on how they structure the Clay deal.

I'm guessing is they wait until the Suh deal is announced to see what Fins' salary cap will look like and structure the Clay offer to inflict most damage. No reason to rush the tender until Miami makes its FA moves first.

Plus there is a minimum salary that each team must pay every year so you HAVE to pay these guys.

So would they make the offer today at 4PM or do they wait?

What if Miami waits the 7 days and then matches and screws Buffalo out of signing another TE like Cameron?

CBF

That's why the offer will come in quick if we really are interested. Gotta get that clock ticking

So would they make the offer today at 4PM or do they wait?

What if Miami waits the 7 days and then matches and screws Buffalo out of signing another TE like Cameron?

CBF

At the same time, if Miami waits that long to make a decision, they also screw themselves in their own search for a replacement.