Matt Cassel a Bill

Nanker

Too early to say season over, fire Rex?

This is INSANE. Trading ANY picks for Cassell. This may be the worst move I've ever seen. Trading picks away for garbage at a Raiders / Redskins pace.

Come on. Cassell is one of the better options available. They are trying to fix the offense and I give them credit for that.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could do far worse. I like this better than Mccown

Agreed... With the FA's out there, not many good options and with Shady in the picture, i'm sure Rex sees Cassel as a capable game manager ala Alex Smith in KC and can help EJ (if EJ beats him out for starting gig.)

However, i dont see the QB situation as "over". We will either bring in someone else via FA or use 2nd or 3rd rounder on one of the 2nd tier of QB;s: Hundley, Petty, Grayson

Not a bad deal. Cassel is as good or maybe better than any FAs or Manuel. I'd still like to see them sign another FA (Locker) and/or draft a QB, but that's probably not going to happen. Cassel should easily win the QB competition but at least there will be one and may the best QB win it.

@alexmarvez: . @buffalobills swap their 1st 2015 5th-round pick for @Vikings 2015 6th-rounder and give Min a 2016 7th-rounder for Matt Cassel @NFLonFOX

That's hilarious.

We swap a 5 for a 6 and give up an additional 7 in a different year for Cassel.

That is the hard way of saying Matt Cassel is worth NOTHING.

These were my first thoughts exactly. Would still like to see Moore or Locker.

These were my first thoughts exactly. Would still like to see Moore or Locker.

You sound just like me. Who knows? I hope that they bring in anothetr QB for competition. Maybe they can still bring in Moore or Locker to compete as well....

Cassel > Tuel

Cassel > McNown

Cassel ~= Orton

We needed a veteran and he is so similar to Orton across just about all measures. I'm fine with this, and I still want EJ. Makes Sanchez less likely, and I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing yet but I think he compares favorably and is probably better.

We weren't going to get someone who would change the franchise this offseason. Getting a proven smart veteran for minimal cost was the goal, and having Cassel/Orton/Sanchez as a baseline performance with our run game and defense, and then hoping EJ can find a way past that baseline and make that guy the #2 is our 2015 plan.

@alexmarvez: . @buffalobills swap their 1st 2015 5th-round pick for @Vikings 2015 6th-rounder and give Min a 2016 7th-rounder for Matt Cassel @NFLonFOX

That pick is essentially a 4th (though compensatory picks need to be factored).

Speaking of compensatory picks, I'm starting to wonder if that's a consideration in some of these deals. Hughes might put us in line to get pretty good compensation (relatively speaking) while signing a Locker/Hoyer/Moore would have been a hit in the formula.

Back on topic to Cassel, I see him as the babysitter to push EJ but be a guy willing to coach him up as well. I'm thinking we're leaning Petty or Grayson in round 2.

This is fine as long as they are still planning on bringing in a FA like Locker. Cassel is not a starter, he has underwhelmed everywhere save for one year in KC. I know none of the guys available are particularly impressive but I want someone else for competition if possible. Ill be upset of Cutler or Bradford end up being dealt because they are both major upgrades over this.

Any team's first priority is to win the division. The Patriots are the team to beat in the AFC East. The Patriots know Cassel better than anyone. Cassel is a nice player but he is weak and very well known by the key divisional opponent. I thought there was a rule in Buffalo against SoCal QBs since Rob Johnson?

At this point it looks like he will be brought in to mentor EJ but if he has to start due to injury, etc., and say beat the Patriots it could be tough.