Matt Cassel a Bill

Nanker

We just traded for a guy that was going to get cut. Smooth.

sometimes certain teams need to do that to avoid having to compete with other teams. If the report is true that mccown was first on their list and cassell second, guessing they didn't want to get into another bidding war with a backup quality QB. It was a low pick and low draft picks don't have a great chance to make this team.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree.

If I were Matt Moore, for example, and I was given the choice between the Bills, with Cassel, and the Jets, with Geno (assuming Vick goes elsewhere), I might be more inclined to go with the Jets, because Geno is a train wreck.

Also, who is to say that Cassel isn't that very same guy you describe?

If there is a better FAQB than Cassel, I want them. So, my original question remains: does the signing of Cassel make it less likely we will get them?

My original answer remains: no.

Hope the info isn't right, but I think the two pieces go hand in hand.... Can't resign Hughes and make big moves in FA

Then FA will be fun this year.

I could see someone like Locker being so cheap that it wouldn't make sense not to. But fair enough.

I think we might be surprised what some of these guys sign for, but we'll see

My original answer remains: no.

That wasn't your original answer.

Be that as it may, this trade bothers me. I have to believe there is a difference for the player in getting traded, as opposed to negotiating one's own future, as in FA. Does Cassel want to be in Buffalo? (Or, maybe not: maybe Cassel's glad someone grabbed him. Who knows?) And, if this trade makes it less likely that they get their first choice of FAs (which it might), then that sucks, too.

said it before, say it again...do you really want a QB who was afraid of EJ and now Cassel?

That wasn't your original answer.

Be that as it may, this trade bothers me. I have to believe there is a difference for the player in getting traded, as opposed to negotiating one's own future, as in FA. Does Cassel want to be in Buffalo? (Or, maybe not: maybe Cassel's glad someone grabbed him. Who knows?) And, if this trade makes it less likely that they get their first choice of FAs (which it might), then that sucks, too.

Sorry that you couldn't understand what my rhetorical question implied, but when I said "do you really want a QB who was afraid of EJ and now Cassel?" the answer to your question was no, I do not.

Sorry that you couldn't understand what my rhetorical question implied, but when I said "do you really want a QB who was afraid of EJ and now Cassel?" the answer to your question was no, I do not.

I understood what your question implied. It just didn't answer my question. My question was: does this make it harder for us to get another of the FAQBs who may be better options? Is your answer, "there aren't any better options?" Do you think that Cassel is better than Moore, Hoyer, Sanchez, Locker, or Mallet? If not, have we made it harder for us to acquire one of them for the reasons I mentioned? That was my question.

3rd seems kinda steep to me. I hope not!

It's not a third. It's a fifth round pick this year (from Tampa originally, the bills have two fifth round picks this year) and a 7th rounder next year. In exchange the bills get the player and a sixth round pick this year. So they didn't lose any picks this draft, just moved back a round.

I understood what your question implied. It just didn't answer my question. My question was: does this make it harder for us to get another of the FAQBs who may be better options? Is your answer, "there aren't any better options?" Do you think that Cassel is better than Moore, Hoyer, Sanchez, Locker, or Mallet? If not, have we made it harder for us to acquire one of them for the reasons I mentioned? That was my question.

:lol: and my answer remains no. As I said in a followup post QBs do not lack confidence. No, acquiring Cassel will not affect the Bills signing another QB (money aside).

If you are also wondering whether I think signing Cassel will make it harder for the Bills to sign another QB (money aside) my answer to that one is no.

:lol: and my answer remains no. As I said in a followup post QBs do not lack confidence. No, acquiring Cassel will not affect the Bills signing another QB (money aside).

If you are also wondering whether I think signing Cassel will make it harder for the Bills to sign another QB (money aside) my answer to that one is no.

Gotcha.

BTW- I don't necessarily think confidence has anything to do with it. I would expect a QB who wants to start to go where he has the best chance to start. That doesn't make them "afraid" of competition. That's just following one's self-interest.

sometimes certain teams need to do that to avoid having to compete with other teams. If the report is true that mccown was first on their list and cassell second, guessing they didn't want to get into another bidding war with a backup quality QB. It was a low pick and low draft picks don't have a great chance to make this team.

I fully understand the mechanics of trading before FA, the current FA QB landscape, and the chances of low draft picks succeeding. My criticism isn't even based on the quality of the choice, as we've known for a long time now that our QB position was poised to be a dumpster fire this season. If McCown was our first choice and Cassel second, then it's a failure by the front office to land their guy and a panic move to make sure it didn't happen again. I knew we were going to be throwing ~$5M at a sub-par veteran QB, I just didn't think it was necessary to throw draft picks at one as well.

So what you're saying is, yes? :nana: