Hughes contract in the works according to report.

mellaman101

Listening to Pittsburgh sports talk radio. This guy covers Steelers but gets tons of Bills news. This guy is always dead on with the Bills and knew about Orton/Rex before ESPN had the news. He is saying they contract is in the final phases and should be done by Tuesday. That is great news if holds!!!!!

:thumbsup: thought he was a goner

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not having a QB of course doesn't mean you can spend endlessly. My point was basically that I don't think Hughes will help significantly because our pass rush will be nearly league-best whether he's there or not. I'd rather bring in multiple top-level offensive players so that we're capable of scoring points. But I digress. :)

We don't know that to be the case at all. They weren't at the top before Hughes got there. I don't understand why so many undersell Hughes. He's extremely athletic, beats his matchup one-on-one consistently, gets pressure, good against the run. Yeah, he's got Mario, Williams and Dareus on the line with him, and guess what? They have Jerry Hughes with them. Kyle is 31, 32. His next deal won't be big money, if there is a next one with the Bills. So it will be back to three large K's on the DL soon enough. Bills won't have a QB to pay large guarantees too in the next couple years either, barring the unforseen. Signing Hughes is not an issue.

Edited by purple haze

The Bills were 18th in the league in sacks in 2012, 2nd in 2013, and 1st in 2014. That's a big jump when Hughes came on board. it's not all him, but he is certainly a solid part of it.

Assuming the pass rush will stay as effective while losing a two time 10 sack RE is assuming a whole lot. Hughes has done some damn good things against very good LT's. I don't expect Wynn or some rookie to just come in and pick up 8-10 sacks.

Pay the man, he deserves it.

Edited by elroy16

He is, but he made the same error with the Jets in putting too much emphasis on the defense at the expense of the offense. This is where a GM, Team President or Owner needs to step in and say I have confidence then you can produce one of the best defenses in the league as currently constructed, let's use that 8-9 million to build a running game and make a real run.

Aaron I don't recall reading any of your stuff before but it's difficult to take you seriously in this thread. DeMarco Murray? LOL

The Bills are in fantastic cap shape and the one thing you DON'T do is weaken the strength of your team by allowing one of your best players on D to leave.

You're just waaaay off base here.

Whaley really has a ton of incentive to get this done. If Hughes has a couple more seasons like the last two, the trade with Indy goes down as one of the best in team history, and probably even league wide (at least in recent history). That only happens if he stays in Buffalo.

I've been saying this all year. You keep that trade alive. It's very similar to Briere and Drury...you don't let talent that you've acquired walk and you manage the cap properly. We have a ton of space and room to sign a premier guard which will make our existing rb's better.

No. We don't have enough money to sign Hughes and anyone else - yet alone the rookies. They alone will take up a good 3-4 million at least.

CAN'T YOU READ?

J.H.C. we re-sign Hughes and they might as well start training camp next week, because the off-season is over, kaput, fini, done! They won't have enough cash to buy trainers tape or put enough air in the footballs...

Hey wait, I sense a winning strategy here.

That ended up being a pretty bad deal. Not hoping for a repeat

Maybe based on his performance afterwards, which could also be (at least partially) chalked up to the QB play we had. I really dont think it looks all that bad though: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/stevie-johnson/

But that was also the year that the FA market went bonkers for WRs. It was pretty widely thought that Stevie gave the Bills a bit of a hometown discount since V Jackson signed an $11mil/year deal shortly into FA and even Marques Gholston who the Bills brought in to talk to while trying to sign Mario ended up with a contract paying him $8, $9, and $10mil these last few years.

That was a crazy year for WRs in FA... http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012WR.php

Edited by DrDareustein

Maybe based on his performance afterwards, which could also be (at least partially) chalked up to the QB play we had. I really dont think it looks all that bad though: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/stevie-johnson/

But that was also the year that the FA market went bonkers for WRs. It was pretty widely thought that Stevie gave the Bills a bit of a hometown discount since V Jackson signed an $11mil/year deal shortly into FA and even Marques Gholston who the Bills brought in to talk to while trying to sign Mario ended up with a contract paying him $8, $9, and $10mil these last few years.

That was a crazy year for WRs in FA... http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012WR.php

wrong saints WR, but your point still more or less stands.

it was a pretty fair deal for stevie - whether the middle of the pack vet WR is an efficient place for nfl teams to spend their money might be a different debate

Listening to Pittsburgh sports talk radio. This guy covers Steelers but gets tons of Bills news. This guy is always dead on with the Bills and knew about Orton/Rex before ESPN had the news. He is saying they contract is in the final phases and should be done by Tuesday. That is great news if holds!!!!!

which guy here (Pittsburgh) knows the Bills stuff?!?!

wrong saints WR, but your point still more or less stands.

it was a pretty fair deal for stevie - whether the middle of the pack vet WR is an efficient place for nfl teams to spend their money might be a different debate

Ah, damn. Who was the Saints WR Im thinking of then?

edit: Meachem??

Edited by DrDareustein

Ah, damn. Who was the Saints WR Im thinking of then?

edit: Meachem??

thats the winner. what a disaster he was. i was real leery about bringing him in, especially at a big number. Colston has been, generally, mr reliable the whole way. not the greatest ever but i was a fan of colston over stevie, if we were choosing in that price range but the saints locked him up before FA too.

I'd rather spend this money on a QB. But what QB options do we have?

The truth is that you just can't build a team that's strong everywhere. There's not enough money, not enough quality FAs, and not enough draft picks.

So you build pockets of excellence where you can. Right now we have the opportunity to resign Hughes which will give us possibly the best defensive front 7 in the NFL in 2015. My fingers are crossed this works out.