Don't expect Spikes or Searcy back

YoloinOhio

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised they are so openly hitting spikes today. I know it's not crushing but it's surprising

I thought so too... Also reminds me of when Mike Williams wanted a trade and Whaley said something like "unless we get the value of what a #1 WR would get like he sees himself, we aren't considering it"

not okay with losing spikes - he wouldnt be that expensive.

Bradham - Brown - Kiko

between 3 LBs, we'll probably miss, on average 9 or 10 games from starters for various (injury?) reasons. there is good reason to have 4 strong players at a position group with only 3 starting roles.

Matthew Fairburn ‏@MatthewFairburn 39m39 minutes ago

Doug Whaley made it sound like the Bills may have a tough time keeping Da'Norris Searcy due to the money they have tied up at safety.

Quotes like this alway irritate me. What else are they planning to use the money for? They had better not let Searcy go and then end up significantly under the cap.

not okay with losing spikes - he wouldnt be that expensive.

It's not as much about money, its about playing time. Spikes thinks he's a 3 down player, the Bills see him as a situational/rotation player... and with the players we have, he is a backup. Spikes will test the market because he wants to be a every down player.

I do think that losing Searcy would hurt more. He has really found a knack for the big play. If Rex's defense is the same as we ran under Petine, and we're all assuming it is, we'll be running a lot of 3 safety formations. I'm hoping that the market for him isn't all that good and we can bring him back.

Searcy is a big play guy who has a bit of a nose for the ball. I think he is the type of player who benefits from strong play up front and has never been a full-time solid starter. I wouldn't give him starter money but someone will. I would have liked to keep him for reasonable money but that won't happen. Good luck to him.

well said.

he was an ok college player and he transitioned into an ok pro at a fairly complicated position.

he'll get overpaid somewhere else. no hard feelings.

No, you are not the only one who remembers Duke's limitations. I'm more than a little skittish on the idea of him coming into camp with nothing but developmental players behind him on the depth chart; but I agree that Searcy seemed to benefit considerably from the system, and the guys in front of him.

Re: Manny: You might be right, but I'd love to see the current staff get the kind of production out of him that Pettine did. He's only 30, and could still have some good years in front of him.

I believe Manny definitely has a spot on this roster especially if Hughes leaves. I can see Rex using Manny in the Calvin Pace role those 2 players are very comparable skill set wise.

2 yrs ago Manny performed admirably in Pettine system notching 4 sacks and over 10 QB hits. I'm not saying he's JH level but if he started in this defense can he get those 10 sacks that Jerry got but can save 6-7 mil in the process. Even if he gets 8 sacks and notches a respectable QB hurries, hits numbers I think it's worth the savings. Don't forget fellas Randell Johnson looked pretty good last preseason so DW might want to see what we have in him also

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

I kind of get the Searcy talk, he will certainly value himself more than the Bills think he's worth and if you look at the Secondary as a whole, they are going to give a huge chunk of change to Gilmore. The defense is going to have some very large contracts, which is fine because the Bills don't have a QB. I know 6M for Searcy might not seem like a lot, but if some of that money could be used to secure Gilmore or Dareus or Hughes it makes sense to spend it there and roll with a cheap SS, as they already have Williams and Rambo on the roster.

I think it is safe to say that Schwartz's scheme was more predicated on a pure run stuffer in the middle of the linebacking unit than Rex's and that rather devalues Spikes especially given the young talent we now have in the position with Kiko, Brown and Bradham. I think Spikes probably finds somewhere that pays him as a starter and walks... however, he has spoken about how much he loved last season, so if he is going to settle for a rotation anywhere my guess is it is Buffalo.

The Searcy issue is a little more complicated. I thought the Bills might be able to get him for around $3.5mill to $4mill a year, which is the kind of money you would give to safety who is nominally your starter but your lead starter in a rotation (essentially the way they worked Searcy and Duke last year) rather than a starter who will play every single down. If Searcy thinks he can get in the $5-6million a year range as an every down type starting safety then good luck to him and thank you for his contribution as a Bill. I think Whaley looks a lot at things as units. The current 2015 cap numbers of our other starters in the secondary:

McKelvin - $4.9mil

Graham - $4.45mil

A. Williams - $3.9mil

Gilmore - $3.84mil

As has already been stated when you go to 2016 (at which point Gilmore will need paying) Aaron's cap hit goes to $6.1mil and Graham and McKelvin both stay at those current levels. It becomes a question of how much you can tie up there especially when you look at the fact that Dareus, Bradham and Glenn are also going to need paying.

I think Duke Williams in the main played pretty well last year. Yes Gronk torched him. I am as big a Schwartz fan as anyone but the gameplan of trying to use Duke on Gronk (I'm guessing the thought was Duke is a physical player) was a bit of a disaster. However, take that game out and he played more than people think as a rotation for Searcy and I thought he did well and got noticeably better as the year went on. I'd like them to maybe bring a veteran in to be in that competition / rotation, or they might move Graham there if they do make a run at Revis but for my money the sky will far from be falling if Duke ends up our starter.

Am I the only one who has flashbacks to Duke Williams trying to cover Gronk at the Ralph? I don't think we should overpay Searcy (in fact, I think Searcy is a bit over valued in general), but I hope they will bring in someone else to take his spot rather than rely on Duke. I know he's young and can improve, but the dude was pretty terrible when pressed into action last year, at least in coverage.

Lawson won't be on the roster come camp IMO.

Duke is a young player; let's give him a chance to develop, ya know? Also, Whaley expects Rambo and Meeks to compete with Duke for the spot.

Don't know why you think Lawson won't be around. He's not very expensive, knows the system (and performed well in it), and is a good veteran presence.

RE: Safety - surprising given Aaron williams isnt terribly expensive and theres nothing else tied up. they could have williams AND searcy at numbers that were in discussion for byrd alone.

RE: Spikes - not surprising. he probably felt this was his "prove it" year and wants to be rewarded. unfortunately, he proved that he isnt an every down player, despite liking his intensity.

Great take.

Surprised they are so openly hitting spikes today. I know it's not crushing but it's surprising

Or they're being honest with him.

I don't see how things changed for him for the better from a contact situation. He wasn't a big draw in FA last year and settled for a prove me contract with the Bills.

He is not a three down LB. The league knows it and no one will pay him like that.

So I see him back with either Bills or Pats*, with Jets as outside possibility now that Pepper is there.

Or they're being honest with him.

I don't see how things changed for him for the better from a contact situation. He wasn't a big draw in FA last year and settled for a prove me contract with the Bills.

He is not a three down LB. The league knows it and no one will pay him like that.

So I see him back with either Bills or Pats*, with Jets as outside possibility now that Pepper is there.

Being honest with him and being honest with reporters are two different conversations.

They could just as easily have said "we think Brandon is a good contributor but we have to make sure we are building the roster efficiently and that includes some tough decisions along the way. We will see if our needs and his end up in alignment" and had it be a little less sharp than "we don't think he's the type of player he thinks he is"

Yea whilst I like Whaley his media management isn't that great. He clearly isn't all that comfortable with the public facing bit of the role. I'd have been quite happy for Buddy Nix to carry on doing that side as long as it was very clear Whaely was the fella making the decisions.... :-)

I get not resigning Searcy and spending money elsewhere, but I'm starting to get fed up with the musical chairs we play at some positions, primarily DB. We use a high pick on a DB, he ends up playing well and we let him walk over money so we have to use another high pick on a DB. Winfield, Clements, Whitner, Byrd, Searcy, etc. letting some of those guys walk was wiser than others, but the constant high draft investment on DBs (and ignoring positions like TE) only to let the ones who can play walk is one of the factors to why we've been soo bad for soo long.

I get not resigning Searcy and spending money elsewhere, but I'm starting to get fed up with the musical chairs we play at some positions, primarily DB. We use a high pick on a DB, he ends up playing well and we let him walk over money so we have to use another high pick on a DB. Winfield, Clements, Whitner, Byrd, Searcy, etc. letting some of those guys walk was wiser than others, but the constant high draft investment on DBs (and ignoring positions like TE) only to let the ones who can play walk is one of the factors to why we've been soo bad for soo long.

searcy was a 5th rd pick.