Don't expect Spikes or Searcy back

YoloinOhio

True on the total amount of the safety position but I think some GMs don't value the position of safety as much as others... therefore they will pay one but not two, and would never pay what Byrd got anyway. If Whaley is planning to pay Gilmore and stay strong/deep at the CB position it makes the SS role even less "critical" when it comes to $$. JMO.

That's what I think as well...Gilmore is probably going to take a HUGE contract to keep here, and they're probably going to have to let McKelvin go in order to make that happen and roll with Gilmore/Graham/Robey/Cockrell.

I still think they'll need to add a veteran if Searcy leaves; Spikes I am not concerned with at all. The big issue is Hughes; if he leaves they need to add 2 pass rushers instead of just one.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it just seems odd that a good, not elite, safety contract precludes us from having a guy who shouldnt break the bank. are we just rolling with AW and rookie contracts from here out? or am i wildly out of touch with searcys value?

I think his value to another team is higher than the value to our team in this particular defensive scheme. jmo of course.

Money tied up at Safety? AWs deal wasn't that huge....? I think keeping Searcy is a must, or else we are going to get torched at one safety spot. It wont matter if Revis is on the field or not,.

Id rather have Searcy and a decent G over Revis.

right - AWs cap hit is 3.9m this year, and then in the 6s the rest of the way. hes just good starter money, not big spending

it just seems odd that a good, not elite, safety contract precludes us from having a guy who shouldnt break the bank. are we just rolling with AW and rookie contracts from here out? or am i wildly out of touch with searcys value?

I think Searcy is probably looking for a similar deal to Aaron: $6Mish per season. I mean, Williams had one good year and got that deal, so why not Searcy (in his mind I mean)?

I think it would be irresponsible to pay him that much.

Am I the only one who has flashbacks to Duke Williams trying to cover Gronk at the Ralph? I don't think we should overpay Searcy (in fact, I think Searcy is a bit over valued in general), but I hope they will bring in someone else to take his spot rather than rely on Duke. I know he's young and can improve, but the dude was pretty terrible when pressed into action last year, at least in coverage.

Lawson won't be on the roster come camp IMO.

I agree. How about the most boneheaded PI penalty in NFL history on "Sir Duke" in that same game?

Searcy not a great loss. Spikes they should try to keep, despite his situational use.

I think Searcy is probably looking for a similar deal to Aaron: $6Mish per season. I mean, Williams had one good year and got that deal, so why not Searcy (in his mind I mean)?

I think it would be irresponsible to pay him that much.

id agree on the sentiment that itd be irresponsible. just surprised that DW would so directly say that they view spikes differently than he views himself but skirt searcy as simple roster building if thats the case. unless they agree hes a 6m man, and just cannot afford it.

Searcy made some big plays last year, but there were big plays to be made when you have a DL like that putting pressure on the QB. Before last year, had anybody really jumped on the Searcy bandwagon? Many thought that losing Byrd was a disaster. It was a disaster for New Orleans.

We'll be okay. We have Lassiter too.

I understand the help the DB's got from a strong defensive line, but I don't think we should discount Searcys performance because of that. He played very well , maybe he was one of the reasons the defense did so well. The line was huge, but I think other players played well also.

Edited by klos63

Searcy is a very useful tool, but he is not a full time starter. Duke is a good player with some upside. He has some ball skills too. Meeks isn't healthy ever, so I don't know what their plan is for backups, though. I'd like to keep Search if he doesn't leave for starter money.

Spikes wants to be more than a rotational player. If he gets that deal elsewhere, I'm not worried about it.

Jay Skurski @JaySkurski 1m1 minute ago

Whaley on Brandon Spikes: "I talked to him today. The new staff sees a different player than maybe he does." Ouch.

Matthew Fairburn @MatthewFairburn 39m39 minutes ago

Doug Whaley made it sound like the Bills may have a tough time keeping Da'Norris Searcy due to the money they have tied up at safety.

Remember the late season Find with Bacari Rambo , who is behind Searcy and Duke and .........

Mike Rodak @mikerodak 11m11 minutes ago

Bills have 2 LB spots to fill between Alonso, Bradham and Brown. Spikes would be the 4th man in that rotation. Minimal playing time.

I'm thinking there's 3 LB spots between them. I think Mario will be one of the 3 down lineman. It appears we may be closing in on signing Hughes. No matter what I still think there's always room for a run stuffing LB to play in either scheme.

@ChrisBrownBills: LB Spikes has a decision to make http://t.co/iJn84U02af

Interesting read. They want him back as a PT player but he is going to test FA to see if he can find a more FT spot somewhere first. Makes sense.

The way I see it, "rotational player" usually refers to a backup as a LB. At 27 and a 2nd rd pick he probably wants to see if he can still start somewhere at mlb, and make starter money. Don't blame him. Also think he wants a long term deal. There are teams out there who don't have the young LB talent that the Bills do, and likely value him more highly.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Look for LaRon Landry to be the starting ss next year, he was a pro bowler just a couple years ago under Ryan

that was before the PED issue though. Rex may not want him back.

@RyanTalbotBills: Brandon Spikes to Test Free Agency: http://t.co/XSpGAQOu6e#Bills #BillsMafia http://t.co/0GAx3jUfJJ

Edited by YoloinOhio

Am I the only one who has flashbacks to Duke Williams trying to cover Gronk at the Ralph? I don't think we should overpay Searcy (in fact, I think Searcy is a bit over valued in general), but I hope they will bring in someone else to take his spot rather than rely on Duke. I know he's young and can improve, but the dude was pretty terrible when pressed into action last year, at least in coverage.

Lawson won't be on the roster come camp IMO.

Actually the change in scheme (potentially) might mean that Lawson sticks.......

Thought he played well in Pettine's scheme.

I met Spikes about a Month ago and he genuinely sounded like he wanted to be back and play for Rex.

hes in a good situation. See what's out there as far as a bigger role/money and decide what he wants. Sounds like the Bills are ready to welcome him back, but on their terms which may not match up with his (unless he doesn't see a better situation

With his last team, the pats didn't even give him an offer when he hit FA. So at least he feels wanted (to a certain degree, anyway)

Edited by YoloinOhio