Don't expect Spikes or Searcy back

YoloinOhio

I've been on Searcys bandwagon since we drafted him. He is a perfect fit for a Rex Ryan defense.

I tend to agree.. I can understand losing Spikes, but I would like to see them keep Searcy. I thought he was a real difference maker last year

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get not resigning Searcy and spending money elsewhere, but I'm starting to get fed up with the musical chairs we play at some positions, primarily DB. We use a high pick on a DB, he ends up playing well and we let him walk over money so we have to use another high pick on a DB. Winfield, Clements, Whitner, Byrd, Searcy, etc. letting some of those guys walk was wiser than others, but the constant high draft investment on DBs (and ignoring positions like TE) only to let the ones who can play walk is one of the factors to why we've been soo bad for soo long.

Searcy was a 4th rounder and every team spends a lot on DBs. They make up like 1/5 of your roster and even the depth guys are on the field a lot. I get the sentiment but I think you are overstating it here.

Searcy was a 4th rounder and every team spends a lot on DBs. They make up like 1/5 of your roster and even the depth guys are on the field a lot. I get the sentiment but I think you are overstating it here.

I might be overstating it on Searcy but it's just continuing the trend. I'm not overstating it on Winfield, Clements, Whitner or Byrd. Each of those guys were high draft picks, proved themselves on the field and we let them walk out the door the first chance they got.

If we let Searcy walk and simply replace him with Duke, Rambo, Meeks or other players we sign then it's no big deal, but if we turn around and use our 2nd or 3rd on a safety then it's a poor use of our resources and continues the trend.

I might be overstating it on Searcy but it's just continuing the trend. I'm not overstating it on Winfield, Clements, Whitner or Byrd. Each of those guys were high draft picks, proved themselves on the field and we let them walk out the door the first chance they got.

If we let Searcy walk and simply replace him with Duke, Rambo, Meeks or other players we sign then it's no big deal, but if we turn around and use our 2nd or 3rd on a safety then it's a poor use of our resources and continues the trend.

That, sir, is a point I agree with...either sign Searcy (unlikely if he wants A. Williams type money) or sign a mid-money veteran replacement. Don't pour valuable draft picks into that spot when they're sorely needed elsewhere.

That seemed to be what Whaley was saying. He also didn't rule out signing Searcy -- just that he thinks the market is going to overpay for him, and the Bills won't get involved in that.

If the team feels Duke can step up and fill the void, I'm ok with it. We still have Graham, who can play Safety in a pinch, plus I'm sure we can get a value pick/mid level depth FA pick up.

As far as Spikes, I understand not keeping him, due to scheme... but I feel like he was the guy that came in and really changed the LB corps for us, maybe not through specific performance, but chemistry both on the field and in the lockerroom.

If the team feels Duke can step up and fill the void, I'm ok with it. We still have Graham, who can play Safety in a pinch, plus I'm sure we can get a value pick/mid level depth FA pick up.

As far as Spikes, I understand not keeping him, due to scheme... but I feel like he was the guy that came in and really changed the LB corps for us, maybe not through specific performance, but chemistry both on the field and in the lockerroom.

thats why I think they have publically stated they want to keep him (spikes). But they can't tell him one thing (that they are going to play him a lot of snaps like he wants) and then do another. Edited by YoloinOhio

Exactly. Who are they going to spend the money on? Why not a good player who has played well for you?

There's more to it than simply watching this year's cap figure...they need to plan for the future, and that means allocating space to extend Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore, and possibly Bradham as well.

Exactly. Who are they going to spend the money on? Why not a good player who has played well for you?

Does anyone believe Searcy is a true "difference maker" on the field? He's a solid player, but the Bills absolutely shouldn't overspend if they feel there are three other guys on the roster already who can fill that void.

They have a gajillion dollars tied up in the DL (once they re-sign Hughes and extend Dareus) and can't afford to overpay for a player who is not elite.

I understand their position on this one completely. If Whaley turns out to be wrong and other teams don't overpay for Searcy, I'm sure they will try to keep him.

Does anyone believe Searcy is a true "difference maker" on the field? He's a solid player, but the Bills absolutely shouldn't overspend if they feel there are three other guys on the roster already who can fill that void.

They have a gajillion dollars tied up in the DL (once they re-sign Hughes and extend Dareus) and can't afford to overpay for a player who is not elite.

I understand their position on this one completely. If Whaley turns out to be wrong and other teams don't overpay for Searcy, I'm sure they will try to keep him.

He is not an elite player, but he's better than Duke Williams and also smarter. That counts at the safety position.

hopefully we have a coaching staff that can do that, and create a locker room where that is expected.

He is not an elite player, but he's better than Duke Williams and also smarter. That counts at the safety position.

You didn't really address my points, though...is he worth overpaying for if you're the Bills?

hopefully we have a coaching staff that can do that, and create a locker room where that is expected.

Indeed. And maybe the growth of our young guys too. But really, I hope we keep Spikes, he's wonderful at sniffing out runs, definitely could use him as a situational guy.

There's more to it than simply watching this year's cap figure...they need to plan for the future, and that means allocating space to extend Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore, and possibly Bradham as well.

if the cap shoots up 15m next year, it answers a whole lot of those questions about space though.

while i really like whaley - we havent shown we are willing to get to the cap yet. when we do, i think that stance will carry a lot more weight. that may even be a few weeks away.

Spotrac has him getting 5.3 or more per year in FA. He's worth that to a team with a bad D and no other safeties making money. He's not worth that here. They have to place a value on each player and it varies from team to team.

if the cap shoots up 15m next year, it answers a whole lot of those questions about space though.

while i really like whaley - we havent shown we are willing to get to the cap yet. when we do, i think that stance will carry a lot more weight. that may even be a few weeks away.

New owner, new spending habits... maybe? Hopefully? :D

New owner, new spending habits... maybe? Hopefully? :D

like i said, we may see that very soon. but until we do, theres still a tiny bit of hollowness ringing in "we have to save our money for the next guy" simply because weve said it so often around here and then the next guy rolls around and it happens again.

what if its not just a willingness to spend that is the question but doing a poor job projecting future caps, for instance? just rambling here but ill be excited when we hopefully see them pushing the limits.

Edited by NoSaint

First and foremost, we need to remember that this is Combine Week. Which means that all sorts of smoke and lies are being sent up by every GM with regards to the Draft and Free Agency, as they use this opportunity to negotiate in the media. I cant believe that with the ever-growing cap, and the lack of other big contracts there (no Byrd), we are really out of money for Safeties. So who knows really?

With that said, I would be very disappointed if we dont bring Searcy back. He is not only a decent player, but he is a true student of the game, and will most likely have a career in coaching once he is done playing. It's always worth keeping your high football IQ guys, especially when they are your own draft picks.

If he does go somewhere else, it will be interesting to see the numbers and what the Bills werent willing to pay him. Kim is cheap!

Admittedly, I'm anticipating that they're trying to strike a balance between spending enough to bring in/keep the right players, and leave enough room to sign a franchise QB (however they may acquire said player).