Do we draft a running back in round 2 or resign CJ?

Jmsbills

As deep as the RB class seems to be, there are also quite a few proven, top-notch RBs hitting FA. (Moreno would be my pick, but there are others) In my opinion, we should be going after BPAs with our limited draft picks, and if that nets us a running back, so be it. But, I don't think drafting a running back should be a priority.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People need to stop thinking about replacing Spiller and instead think about replacing Fred Jackson. He isn't getting any younger.

Fred turns 34 on Friday. Love the guy, but 2015 has got to be his last year and this season there has to be another back splitting carries with him to keep him fresh. Add one RB this season and one next as his replacement.

Sign CJ please. With a new coach and OC, improved line, CJ will be successful.

WE have the right running backs now, don't waste a draft pick here. TE and receivers are needed.

I expect scary surprises from Coach Ryan.

Based on what? His production under a different HC and staff 2+ years ago?

I'd agree they need a talent infusion at TE, but drafting RB's high is a serious misuse of resources, particularly when you don't have a 1st.

Drafting RB's and going cheap on the OL is something this organization has done repeatedly since about 2001. It never works. Backs are replaceable and found more likely in the middle rounds or via UDFA.

Assuming that Todd Gurley and Melvin Gordon are gone in the first round or early 2nd - do we re sign CJ or draft a RB in round two? My choice at RB would be either Ameer Abdulah or Duke Johnson. I live in South Florida and have seen Duke Johnson for three years both before the injury at Florida State and this year after the injury; he got better each and every week of the season. ( I would love for him to fall into the third round and it would be a no brainier) but we can not gamble at the RB position. So the million dollar question is do we re-sign CJ or go out in the draft and get a RB in the second round? I could live with Ameer or Duke and we would have them at a reasonable cost for the next four years. It means no OL help in the second round and thus probablably no immediate help from the draft in the OL. So we would need to address the OL with another free agent or from within. It would be nice to let the chips fall and then decided but - we do not live in fantasy land and these decisions must be made sooner rather than later.

I let CJ walk - if he is looking for big $$$ - if not then resign him and go in another direction in round 2.

Are these 2 my only choices?

Neither. I pray to God they do not waste a premium pick on the easiest position to find anywhere. No running backs before at least round 5. Beef up the lines (take your pick OL or young DL), get a tight end that can stretch defenses, draft a QB you have good feelings about (though i don't think they exist this year) etc ANYTHING but a RB in the early rounds.

+ 100

DON'T waste the Bills first round pick on a RB. Go O-line, please.

Resign a bust in CJ... Or draft a new protect with unlimited potential.

I wouldn't call CJ a bust completely, just not lived 1000% up to his billing. A bust would be a flat out failure and would have been long gone by now.

http://buffalo.suntimes.com/buffalo-bills/7/116/79039/bills-free-agent-running-back-options

Frank Gore - 1 yr tryout

Roy Helu Jr.

Matt Asiata

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I wouldn't call CJ a bust completely, just not lived 1000% up to his billing. A bust would be a flat out failure and would have been long gone by now.

http://buffalo.suntimes.com/buffalo-bills/7/116/79039/bills-free-agent-running-back-options

Frank Gore - 1 yr tryout

Roy Helu Jr.

Matt Asiata

9th overall pick in the 2010 draft. You're not starting, you're a bust. He did have that one good year under Gailey however.

Never seems to break any tackles, and his field vision seems not good the the position. Seems to run out of bounds a lot also. IMO

If by some miracle TE Maxx Williams is still there when the Bills pick in the second round, you take him. He can stay in and block, run routes down the middle of the field, and flex in to the slot. No brainer.

If not, you pick the best interior offensive lineman left on your board.

The Bills should not pick a RB in the second round. If they start the year with Boobie Dixon as their #1 RB no one should be surprised or disappointed. If CJ leaves I just hope he ends up outside the division. He has plenty left in the tank...all he needs is inspiration and confidence.

This draft should be logical and methodical. More like Gorge Foreman than Floyd Mayweather.

If Maxx Williams is there in the 2nd I will be SHOCKED. Very happily surprised. I see the Pats getting him in Rd.1 to resume their 2 TE set. If he is not available, I would take the next best TE (I believe there are a few good ones in this draft). I would pick a RB if TJ Yeldon were there or Duke Johnson in the 3rd.

I would love to re sign CJ and also draft Fred's replacement. Fred and Bryce are both FAs after this year. I expect Fred will retire. I do expect him to play a role this year.

Does anyone know how to pronounce Ajayi?

I believe is Ahh-j-IIII (long A, j and long I). That's how they always said it on espn. The online guide is different.

Bryce Brown was the top rated player coming out of high school. He ran into some trouble in college. While at Philadelphia, he had a couple huge games when starting for the injured McCoy. He had a reputation for fumbling, and he had a huge fumble in the loss to KC....at the end of a phenomenal run. He also caught some passes out of the backfield and showed some great moves and speed. I actually believe he will be the starter this year.

I read someplace that the position of the draft pick was contingent on his playing time, and that may be why he didn't get more touches last year.

But I would still like to see a healthy CJ with a great offensive coordinator and a functional offensive line. The more we can run the ball the less pressure on the quarterback. I just saw that Bob Griese threw 7 passes in the Dolphins Super Bowl win. 7.