This week's source deep within

YoloinOhio

No, I certainly didn't know they were bad picks at the time, but what does that have to do with whether or not they were good picks? They weren't, nor was Williams a good free agent. Whaley failed, in other words. What, do you want to give him credit for trying, is that it? If the Bills are "bringing in" people of the same quality as Kujo, Richardson, et al., then they'll fail again. Not sure I follow you. Are you happy as long as they seem to be trying hard? If so, you're pretty easy to please. (But you have picked a good team to follow.)

I was responding to your comment that "my restraint in previous years regarding the offensive line ("of course they'll address it") was not rewarded." The point is that Whaley most definitely did try to address it, by signing a FA guard and drafting three offensive linemen. Four new offensive linement in one offseason, which is most certainly putting effort into addressing the offensive line.

Now, you may object to the way he did it (eg, by relying too much on the draft) or you may criticize the players he brought in (eg, Williams), but the point is that Whaley didn't ignore the offensive line last year. You can criticize Whaley for not knowing how to build an offensive line, or for not being a good enough evaluator of offensive line talent. You can even say that you don't have trust in Whaley at this point to fix the offensive line because the guys he brings in are bums. But last year most of us were impressed with him grabbing Kujo in round 2, thought Richardson could excel at guard, and were excited about the potential for Henderson. It seemed like Whaley was building something potentially pretty good for the future.

Now that we see that some of those guys aren't very good, or at least have a long way to go before being decent starters, you can criticize his talent evaluation. But that doesn't mean he isn't going to go out there again this year and try again to fix the problem. In fact, we've heard quite the opposite so far. You can feel bad about his ability to pick OL talent, but you can hardly criticize his effort to improve it. So the reason for your angst about addressing the offensive line again this year appears misguided, that's all.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The info is wishy washy. Not really definitive. "Revis is possible and maybe what we'll do but maybe not." I can "expect" to bring home a model, but it doesn't normally happen.

We had similar comments for Jerry and Byrd by the way. None of this is groundbreaking stuff. Just "all the right," things.

Yea- the last couple KM bits seem to be a mix of common sense observations coupled with vague possible actions. If he has a source still, it's not a source that likes him much imo

I think the big unknown with the oline is coaching and scheme. It's been implied that some of the guys will fit reps scheme better than they fit Marrones which seems odd. We saw a regression in their play, and if dw blames that on the former employees he may ride it out with the guys he has, at least through the first group of otas.

• 2 weeks later...

Today's edition

@KevinMassare: According to source: the Bills "are still very much on the hook for EJs rookie deal, would make no sense to let him go right now"

@KevinMassare: Source " We love Dareus in here, we'll be working on his extension as soon as we can, we're preparing".

@KevinMassare: Source: "we've given Josh McCown our best offer, if he chooses elsewhere so be it, Offensive staff likes him, won't be heartbroken".

@KevinMassare: Source: "Salary wise we are in great shape, of course. We will be making some more moves to put us in better shape".

@KevinMassare: Source: "I'll tell you, we are doing everything we can do find the right TE for our system, we need a versatile weapon, resources allocated"

@KevinMassare: Source: "I think Rex would kill us if we let Gilmore walk. He is a guy he wants to build around."

@KevinMassare: Also: "Running back is talked about at nauseam in the room. We need the right guy, and feel we have identified a few targets. Ready to act".

@KevinMassare: More: "we will be looking at the recently released guards, there are a few that can really help this team".

Today's edition

@KevinMassare: According to source: the Bills "are still very much on the hook for EJs rookie deal, would make no sense to let him go right now"

@KevinMassare: Source " We love Dareus in here, we'll be working on his extension as soon as we can, we're preparing".

@KevinMassare: Source: "we've given Josh McCown our best offer, if he chooses elsewhere so be it, Offensive staff likes him, won't be heartbroken".

@KevinMassare: Source: "Salary wise we are in great shape, of course. We will be making some more moves to put us in better shape".

@KevinMassare: Source: "I'll tell you, we are doing everything we can do find the right TE for our system, we need a versatile weapon, resources allocated"

@KevinMassare: Source: "I think Rex would kill us if we let Gilmore walk. He is a guy he wants to build around."

@KevinMassare: Also: "Running back is talked about at nauseam in the room. We need the right guy, and feel we have identified a few targets. Ready to act".

@KevinMassare: More: "we will be looking at the recently released guards, there are a few that can really help this team".

go on

@KevinMassare: Once again, i've never claimed to be important, get paid, or be anyone special, you guys ask me certain things and I ask them.

@KevinMassare: I was told that the Bills could see Graham as a starting safety based on how FA goes. Very high on Duke Williams as well.

Today's edition

Where is that?

Some of the OLmen we added last year were pretty green. It isn't unreasonable to expect an improvement this year. Always seems to be someone who surprises us with better than expected play. Look what happened to McKelvin. Before his injury last year he was playing at a probowl level. People tend to forget that players actually do some times develop. Who knows, maybe even EJ will develop.

@KevinMassare: Once again, i've never claimed to be important, get paid, or be anyone special, you guys ask me certain things and I ask them.

@KevinMassare: I was told that the Bills could see Graham as a starting safety based on how FA goes. Very high on Duke Williams as well.

Making Graham the starter at safety gets the Bills their best four DBs out there.

Today's edition

@KevinMassare: According to source: the Bills "are still very much on the hook for EJs rookie deal, would make no sense to let him go right now"@KevinMassare

This blows up LMO's story that they would cut EJ. That made no sense anyhow. They still have to pay him so why not give him a shot to compete? Even if they bring in 3 more QB's I still want to see EJ compete with them and let the best man win

This blows up LMO's story that they would cut EJ. That made no sense anyhow. They still have to pay him so why not give him a shot to compete? Even if they bring in 3 more QB's I still want to see EJ compete with them and let the best man win

massare later tweeted that he was laughed at when he asked if EJ was on the chopping block. One of his followers requested that he ask about it. No it wasn't me. Haha.

Like what I'm reading in general. I think the Bills are heading in the right direction and making good decisions in general.

QB is tough, since no sure things are available for us. Which, again, is why I support developing the youngest of the mediocre pile. Everything else looks good :)