Josh McCown anybody? Update: Is a Brown...end of story.

I mean honestly, what do you really think the chances are of EJ having a break out year this season and solidifying himself as the Bills' starter for years to come? I would give it around 10%. What say you?

70%

EJ is good and with a real NFL HC and OC he will do well ( as always IMHO ).

He played well in the 1st 2 games where we got a comeback win vs Bears and a major sqwishing of the Fish. Then the genius coaching staff decides to pass 40+ times vs a bad rushing defense with a monster at DE vs our turnstile OL. WRs having a case of the dropsies that day didn't help either.

Edited by reddogblitz

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Players like Manuel, who seems to have no defenders in the NFL, have no trade value. He may be scarfed up by another team if he is cut, but no one is going to be stupid enough to trade for him given how he's looked and the proverbial word on the street regarding his accuracy and recognition skills.

While I agree with that in theory, as well as the fact that no one in the league thinks that EJ is a viable starter or quarterback right now... he does have some value in a scenario where the Bills trade for a starting QB like, say, Cutler or Bradford... and the team trading them to the Bills already have a replacement for their starter in mind. Otherwise they wouldn't do it. But throwing EJ into the package, as a backup and possible (if unlikely) starter down the line definitely has some value IMO.

No I just couldn't believe you used the acronym "LY" to refer to last year. I almost feel like it takes longer to type LY than last year on account of having to reach for the shift key to capitalize LY.

Gotcha. Just used to saving space on other forms of writing. Plus, I'm an old man.. it makes me feel cool anytime I can acronym :lol: ooops laugh out loud. Just thankful that there wasn't a hardcore Geno Smith fan out there in BillsMafia land.

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

I'm not saying Josh McCown is the answer either but I just really hope all the people who have and will make condescending comments about a guy who is one season removed from a season in which he threw 13 TD's and 1 INT aren't the same people who tout EJ Manuel as a legitimate option.

Can you please look at his career stats before posting something like this. Career completion % under 60 and would have been far worse if not for 1 good year with the Bears. Same goes for td/int ratio. Practically 1/1 and would have been way worse if not for that year. You should do your homework.

this is the type of ****ty QB you get with an all star defense payroll

That is total nonsense. There has not been one player we have not gone after because of the money we spent on defense. Not one. Not to mention, if we wanted to, we could spend 20 mil on a QB right now. That's just downright wrong.

Adam Benigni ‏@AdamBenigni 2m2 minutes ago

Told at least two teams in the mix for Josh McCown. #Bills and @MaryKayCabot reports #Browns.

Tweeted two minutes ago.....just want to give some hope to the many who seemingly don't want this to happen.

Yeah, looks like the Browns are going after him pretty hard today/tonight. I for one hope that we sign him, we sure could use him.

Orton was who Orton is and it was good enough to get them to 9* wins

To be clear Kirby,

2 of those wins go to EJ and win #"9" for Buffalo was a gift from NE*

BS Bills ahead at the half against the NE starters. I really get tired of reading on here that the Bills wins where "gifts" or "lucky". Detroit's kicker gave us the game! Just lucky against Minnesota! GBs offense took the day off!

if we're unfortunate enough to land him, I sure hope it's one of those non-guaranteed deals where he gets cut in camp with no cap implications (i.e. vince young). and hes just here to add another body in competition

BS Bills ahead at the half against the NE starters. I really get tired of reading on here that the Bills wins where "gifts" or "lucky". Detroit's kicker gave us the game! Just lucky against Minnesota! GBs offense took the day off!

you really think the super bowl champs wouldnt have beaten us if they kept their starters in? its the second half where they do the most damage against us. like our first game against them in buffalo. we were down by 6 at the half and it looked like a game, second half collapse and we lose by 15.

Edited by JTSP

I hope the Browns come up big. ;)

There is no difference between about four of these veteran FA QBs. Everyone has their preferences of course. Everyone has their hierarchy. But there is no difference. No one knows, even if in retrospect you guess right. There is surely no need to get in a mini bidding war for McCown, because the Bills are going to be the top choice or right at the top for all of them, simply because all of them want to play and the Bills and Browns offer the best chance.

I personally still want Matt Moore but no one knows.

if we're unfortunate enough to land him, I sure hope it's one of those non-guaranteed deals where he gets cut in camp with no cap implications (i.e. vince young). and hes just here to add another body in competition

you really think the super bowl champs wouldnt have beaten us if they kept their starters in? its the second half where they do the most damage against us. like our first game against them in buffalo. we were down by 6 at the half and it looked like a game, second half collapse and we lose by 15.

I can understand why people aren't excited about signing McCown but keep 2 things in mind, the first is we don't have a lot of options and our QB situation blows. The second thing do people how many different OCs this guy has had? His career with teams and/or OCs rivals Alex Smith's. We don't need a superstar, just a good game manager and I believe that ZmcCown has the potential to be that if EJ can't be the starter. Furthermore the guy has legs and that in itself is a very attractive attribute for this type of offense that we'll be employing.

You guess they would have lost so it's a fact.

There is no difference between about four of these veteran FA QBs.

Talentwise, I agree with you. But the fact McCown has had a previous working relationship with the OC and OL coaches is a definite plus over guys who haven't worked with any of the coaching staff before.

That may be weak tea as far as a differentiator, but it may be an important reason why they're pursuing Josh rather than a guy like Moore.

Can you please look at his career stats before posting something like this. Career completion % under 60 and would have been far worse if not for 1 good year with the Bears. Same goes for td/int ratio. Practically 1/1 and would have been way worse if not for that year. You should do your homework.

Except for that fact that he did have that year with the bears and you cannot discount it

Yeah, looks like the Browns are going after him pretty hard today/tonight. I for one hope that we sign him, we sure could use him.

The only reason he would go to the Browns is b.c they offered him a boat load of money. Other then that the Bills are the only real place FA QBs would want to go to.

We are desperate to find an alternative to EJ.

We feel McCown is an upgrade to Orton.

Roman and him are good friends. Look for this to be completed tomorrow AM, also look for EJ to be cut two days after FA opens.

Imo

I can't believe they would cut EJ after 14 games and spending a 1st round pick on him. They might sign McCown, but EJ will be around, unless he's part of a trade. Just cutting him would make no sense at this point. Not like they spend a mint on him at this point anyway.