Bills to go in little-talked-about direction at QB?

Rubes

We should sign both Jake Locker & Matt Moore. Make it 3 way battle for starter, EJ, Moore & Locker

I doubt that they sign 2 UFAs. This would require $6-8m to be committed with other areas that need to be addressed.

My expectation is that the Bills will either sign or trade for one current NFL QB and draft one.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt that they sign 2 UFAs. This would require $6-8m to be committed with other areas that need to be addressed.

My expectation is that the Bills will either sign or trade for one current NFL QB and draft one.

If u really think about it's not that much. It could be 1yr deal for Locker if he pans out he can get paid if not have a nice day. Moore can be signed to be a backup option just in case EJ or Locker don't work out. I don't think either one is a long term answer but having depth can be good for competition.

I have to admit, I know next to nothing about Jake Locker, except that he's had a few injuries. Does he really have NFL starter-quality talent?

Hasn't shown much so far, even when he was healthy (which is not often). I rank him roughly equal to EJ, if not slightly behind EJ at this point. He's a viable option to be brought in to compete.

I have to admit, I know next to nothing about Jake Locker, except that he's had a few injuries. Does he really have NFL starter-quality talent?

They don't call him the Hurt Locker for nothing. 2012 was his best season, he played 11 games and ran 41 times, 7.1 average. He's been hurt so much, I don't think he will run the ball the way he used to, and that's what made him an intriguing QB. I would stay away from this guy.

The little talked about QB option that I think the Bills should pursue is the one used by the 2000 Ravens to win the SB with their failed former 1st round choice Trent Dilfer. They built such a strong D that this was the key factor that led the team to the SB.

Can the Bills deliver an SB victory in 2015 with this approach?

No

The good news is that they do not have to. Let's merely make the playoffs first and this quest simply demands not that EJ or whoever is the QB you are psychotic about prove to not be the new Joe Montana bot the next average QB like a Dilfer, Brad Johnson. Mark Rypien etc.

Face it, EJ does not appear playoff ready yet as a team leader nor has anyone made a compelling case as a player capable of leading this team deep into the playoffs, it seems far more likely that our Pro Bowl DL, an LB corps which gets back Alonso on D.

I like the idea if getting of getting a lock down CB like a Revis as ti9ghter coverage simply means more sacks for us.

We should sign both Jake Locker & Matt Moore. Make it 3 way battle for starter, EJ, Moore & Locker

I love this idea.

The little talked about QB option that I think the Bills should pursue is the one used by the 2000 Ravens to win the SB with their failed former 1st round choice Trent Dilfer. They built such a strong D that this was the key factor that led the team to the SB.

No

The good news is that they do not have to. Let's merely make the playoffs first and this quest simply demands not that EJ or whoever is the QB you are psychotic about prove to not be the new Joe Montana bot the next average QB like a Dilfer, Brad Johnson. Mark Rypien etc.

Face it, EJ does not appear playoff ready yet as a team leader nor has anyone made a compelling case as a player capable of leading this team deep into the playoffs, it seems far more likely that our Pro Bowl DL, an LB corps which gets back Alonso on D.

I like the idea if getting of getting a lock down CB like a Revis as ti9ghter coverage simply means more sacks for us.

add a bruising running game and better blocking, and this could def work.

We don't need a collection of QBs who have had a tough time nailing down a starting spot. We need either an established starter (trade) or at worst, a prospect QB.

We should first & foremost call every team bout possible availability of there QB, if for some reason a guy like Big Ben is up for discussion. I wouldn't have a problem giving them 3 firsts no problem. Even Captain Phillip I'd give them 2 firsts. But those guys won't be available so we got to scrap the bottom of the free agent barrel see what we can get

No

Yeah, but they didn't go into the season with that formula. Dilfer took over mid season after an injury...

They don't call him the Hurt Locker for nothing. 2012 was his best season, he played 11 games and ran 41 times, 7.1 average. He's been hurt so much, I don't think he will run the ball the way he used to, and that's what made him an intriguing QB. I would stay away from this guy.

Locker has horrible accuracy. He had horrible accuracy in college & it hasn't gotten any better in the pros. The only reason he was drafted was because he is a physical specimen(great arm, can run). I would take a flyer on him if it doesn't cost much but he is EJ Manuel with even less of an accurate arm if you could imagine that.

No

Lock down Revis and Iupati... That's one heck of a start!

Yeah, but they didn't go into the season with that formula. Dilfer took over mid season after an injury...

Even more reason to adopt this as the focus of our strategy. A big part of our 15 years of failure has been the near psychotic addiction to trying to find the next Jim Kelley. An HOF QB only comes around once every few decades. It seems much more likely for us to adopt a strategy of build our good D into greatness tjhan depending upon the needle in the hay stack of finding an GOF QB..

Locker was an amazing college QB. If he would have come out early he was projected to go #1. I guess he's one of those guys whose talent didn't end up translating to the NFL. I remember he played with a lot of heart though and he's probably more of a true QB than EJ is. I see EJ as a guy who has talent but maybe not the mental makeup to be one. He's more of a good athlete that happens to play QB if you know what I mean. Locker is definitely the lower tier though, probably lower than Sanchez. I'd probably say someone like Eli or Rivers or Cutler are tier 1 (won't happen but we can dream), Foles and Bradford would be tier 2 (probably won't happen either), Sanchez and Hoyer tier 3, and Locker and Matt Moore tier 4 (probably same tier as EJ but EJ is certainly trending down), and then tier 5 are guys that shouldn't be in the NFL but they could get a look like with what we did with Leinart or Matt Flynn

Jake Locker stunk it up at UW (watched many games) IMHO and never understood the fascination with him.

However, I did see him play a couple of times last year and the year before (when healthy) and he looked really good. He has obviously been working on his game and accuracy.

He doesn't only get injured while running. This year it was when being sacked in the pocket.

I support signing him as long as we have someone else in case of injury.

Actually I support signing Jake Locker AND Colt McCoy. Between those 2 and EJ we should have a decent QB healthy each game.

Locker was an amazing college QB. If he would have come out early he was projected to go #1.

Jake Locker stunk it up at UW (watched many games) IMHO and never understood the fascination with him.

Love the juxtaposition of those two posts.
TSW always makes me smile....
Edited by Lurker