HOF SNUBS

papazoid

Tim Brown had 23 fewer touchdowns and fewer catches than Marvin Harrison despite playing four more seasons. Harrison was first or second team All-Pro eight times. Brown made the second team once. Voters often reward long periods of consistency over shorter stretches of true brilliance. Harrison makes no sense as a snub, though, because he combined "elite" play with great longevity. He was consistently a top-five receiver in the NFL; Brown was not.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000466530/article/pace-harrison-snubbed-from-hall-of-fame

Harrison will get elected in the next few years and no one will even remember this. Whenever there is a limit to the number of players that can enter there is ALWAYS going to be people who are left out. The fact is, Brown should have been in years ago. Sometimes you just have to wait in line for a bit. I don't really consider it a snub at all. A snub would be someone who would never get in that deserves it...say Steve Tasker???

Edited by Mark80

I agree with NoSaint the shooting has a big play in this.

Someone asked Peter King about that on Twitter last night. He replied that it never came up in the discussion on Harrison. Whether it was left unsaid but not part of each voter's thought process is another story.

Amen! His time will come, but I thought it would be sooner rather than later. He wasn't just above average for a long time. He was the best of a generation.

Pace was a very good player, but he wasn't even the best lt in his conference during his career. Walter Jones was a better player.

Pace was a very good player, but he wasn't even the best lt in his conference during his career. Walter Jones was a better player.

Good point - I'll give you Walter Jones. He was a first ballot HOF guy himself, so that's stiff competition.

From the article - which I read earlier this morning:

" But we still have a hard time understanding why the selection committee chose inferior candidates just because those players have waited longer.

Why should he have to wait for his turn while inferior players get in?

There was a sense in Phoenix this season that it was Brown's time. Like Andre Reed last year, the thought was that Brown had paid his dues. He was a Hall of Fame finalist so many times and the "logjam" at wide receiver would never free up if Brown didn't get in now."

So if you want to swallow this "Snub" Bull ****, then you're buying into the Andre Reed doesn't belong in the HOF meme.

Reed and Brown would have tremendous stats if either of them was Manning's primary target.

From the article - which I read earlier this morning:

" But we still have a hard time understanding why the selection committee chose inferior candidates just because those players have waited longer.

Why should he have to wait for his turn while inferior players get in?

There was a sense in Phoenix this season that it was Brown's time. Like Andre Reed last year, the thought was that Brown had paid his dues. He was a Hall of Fame finalist so many times and the "logjam" at wide receiver would never free up if Brown didn't get in now."

So if you want to swallow this "Snub" Bull ****, then you're buying into the Andre Reed doesn't belong in the HOF meme.

Reed and Brown would have tremendous stats if either of them was Manning's primary target.

Add in the fact that Brown played on a lot of not-so-good Raiders teams.

Brown is deserving, as is Harrison. No reason that they could not have been put in at the same time.