What do you think will happen with Jerry Hughes?

YoloinOhio

Jerry Hughes  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the outcome of Jerry Hughes's pending FA?

• Bills will sign Jerry Hughes during FA
    • Hughes will sign with another team in FA
  2. 2. If Hughes is not signed by the Bills, how should he be replaced?

• Signing another FA pass rusher (i.e. JPP, Pernell McPhee, etc)
    • Drafting a pass rusher in 2015
    • With a player currently on the roster (Jarius Wynn, Randell Johnson, etc)

If you just want to completely disregard his stats then go ahead.

Again let's just post something completely ridiculous to make the people criticizing a team that has not made the playoffs in 15 years seem loony.

Wait a minute. I thought melting down about something that hasn't yet happened was ok.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you just want to completely disregard his stats then go ahead.

i feel like im not doing that at all when i say repeatedly that he played very well.

i do not have the capabilities but would love to see one of the professionals do a little chart of how his pressure rates change with the personnel on the field with him. there were several times when we had 2 if not all 3 of his running mates off the field for a breather. was he as impactful then? probably not, but that doesnt mean hes a bad player.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-news/2015/2/20/8075255/jerry-hughes-nfl-free-agency-2015-buffalo-bills-re-sign-doug-whaley

If negotiations end up going south, the Bills sound willing to consider the franchise tag on Hughes, but Whaley told Simon on Friday that the team would rather not do that.

"We hope we don’t have to go down that road," Whaley said Friday. "Right now, we’re of the feeling that we can get this thing done, and make sure everybody feels happy about it. You start using that tag, there’s some feelings from the player’s side that, you just don’t want to go down that road, because we want to have a long, healthy relationship."

My guess/hope is that they feel they are close to a deal, and felt they didnt need to use the tag. All indications have been that he wants to stay and the front office has sounded highly optimistic that this thing can get done. Just my two cents.

Wait a minute. I thought melting down about something that hasn't yet happened was ok.

Yep "melting down." Yet just another term used to make the opposite poster seem not credible. It's like politics. Just try to paint the other person as a loon rather than come up with a legit counter argument.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-news/2015/2/20/8075255/jerry-hughes-nfl-free-agency-2015-buffalo-bills-re-sign-doug-whaley

If negotiations end up going south, the Bills sound willing to consider the franchise tag on Hughes, but Whaley told Simon on Friday that the team would rather not do that.

"We hope we don’t have to go down that road," Whaley said Friday. "Right now, we’re of the feeling that we can get this thing done, and make sure everybody feels happy about it. You start using that tag, there’s some feelings from the player’s side that, you just don’t want to go down that road, because we want to have a long, healthy relationship."

My guess/hope is that they feel they are close to a deal, and felt they didnt need to use the tag. All indications have been that he wants to stay and the front office has sounded highly optimistic that this thing can get done. Just my two cents.

:thumbsup:

I hope you are right but I am not feeling to confident about resigning him. If Hughes goes somewhere else, then we let everyone of our significant free agents walk for nothing. That doesn't exactly give me a lot of confidence in Whaley.

I hope you are right but I am not feeling to confident about resigning him. If Hughes goes somewhere else, then we let everyone of our significant free agents walk for nothing. That doesn't exactly give me a lot of confidence in Whaley.

I don't want to see him leave either, but if they replace him with a good-but-cheaper player like Derrick Morgan and also sign, say, Revis or another elite player, I could live with that.

Im right there with you, i dont want to see him leave either, but hes on a line of 3 pro-bowlers, if this was a case in which one of those guys werent tagged, and we were about to let a guy like dareus walk, i would be alot more frustrated. i think they know what they are willing to pay, and tagging him for twice of what hes worth prob wasnt in their best interest. again, think they feel a deal will be reached.

Im right there with you, i dont want to see him leave either, but hes on a line of 3 pro-bowlers, if this was a case in which one of those guys werent tagged, and we were about to let a guy like dareus walk, i would be alot more frustrated. i think they know what they are willing to pay, and tagging him for twice of what hes worth prob wasnt in their best interest. again, think they feel a deal will be reached.

It doesn't matter what the franchise tag price was. Even with that tag we are not going to be hard up against the cap this year. We could have tag him and let him walk next season with no repercussions.

@mikerodak: Franchising Jerry Hughes wouldve ate up 55% of the Bills cap room, leaving them with $12.3M less than about 2/3 of the NFL.

not sure thats totally accurate, though in the ballpark. Rodak is penciling the bills in at 27m available, and we are 30+ most places ive seen

he said this but idk who is right

@mikerodak: The Bills have $27.087M in cap room, according to @NFLPA records: http://t.co/PI79CNZeIj

I think this is the best source on the web (at least in terms of spelling everything out):

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Looks like $31M under at the moment. They could also gain another $2.35M by cutting Urbik, and another $2.2M by cutting Chandler.

yeah I think that's what I referenced in the cap thread yesterday, I don't know where the variance is... Could it be Orton salary and/or no rollover shown in Rodak's? I'll trust spotrac.

could also be spotrac using the top 51 and NFLPA using something else for their numbers.

Yep "melting down." Yet just another term used to make the opposite poster seem not credible. It's like politics. Just try to paint the other person as a loon rather than come up with a legit counter argument.

Dude, you go to such extremes in your posts that you are the one discrediting them yourself. The legit counter argument, as you put it, to all your ranting is simply: relax, FA hasnt even started yet, and while we all want Hughes retained (Whaley included), it takes two to tango.

@mikerodak: Franchising Jerry Hughes wouldve ate up 55% of the Bills cap room, leaving them with $12.3M less than about 2/3 of the NFL.

This is the point some of us were making yesterday. I'm amazed at the lack of regard by some around here for that factor. You can't let your love for a player cloud the big picture. Bottom line: you can't keep them all when trying to achieve other things.

GO BILLS!!!

This is the point some of us were making yesterday. I'm amazed at the lack of regard by some around here for that factor. You can't let your love for a player cloud the big picture. Bottom line: you can't keep them all when trying to achieve other things.

GO BILLS!!!

yes. It's why you only tag certain players you consider absolutely vital to what you do. As I said in the other Hughes thread, I love Hughes and would be elated to keep the line together, but I'm really surprised anyone expected he might be tagged. He's a great player in his own right. I don't believe he is simply a result of the other three. But that doesn't take away the fact that he didn't become even halfway decent until he played with them, and he hasn't shown he can perform against the type of double teams other guys get who are the lynchpins of their respective lines. That's why JPP and Justin Houston get tagged, and Hughes doesn't. This is a good article ....

@ranacashSN: A good look from @Jason_OTC on price points for pass rushers in free agency http://t.co/ddKrcLD0yj

He is a great player and the Bills clearly want to keep him. He isn't, however, irreplaceable. Dareus and Mario fall into that category.

Whaley was on WGR about 10 days ago and pretty much said Spiller and Searcy are gone. He said Rambo and Duke Williams would be competing for starting safety. On the other guys, I can promise you that you will never, ever have to worry about finding the cap room to sign any players on your roster without having a 15-20 million dollar QB on the roster. We are not finding one of those guys unless we draft them and that contract is not coming up until 5 years after he is drafted. So we likely have 5-7 years minimum before we have to worry about our cap situation. Whaley better make some big moves in free agency because Hughes was flat out great last season and if he isn't resigned it is a huge loss. Also getting nothing for him via tag and trade or at least making play for you one more season under the tag, which he already said he would do, heading into year 16 of the streak, would be an absolute failure.

I am as optimistic as the next guy about Pegula. We are lucky to have him as an owner and I think we will have success under him. That said I don't understand why everyone wants to give Whaley a free pass. While he has made some good moves, his asset management is still highly questionable. Traded an extra first and a 4th to move from 9 to 4 and draft Watkins in maybe the deepest draft ever for receivers. Went on the cheap signed Chris Williams to be the starting guard which was highly questionable from the get go and so far has proven to be a poor decision. Hughes looks like will walk for nothing and most media insiders have us taking a running back in round 2 in a deep running back draft and with it being the most easily replaceable position in football.

Yes it is convenient to go with the argument that Hughes was only good because of the people around him but if you actually watch the film you know that is not true. We will still be great at the pass rush but we won't be clearly the best in the league unless we sign someone comparable to Hughes. When you do something better than anyone else, you should try to keep that going.

Can you link to that Whaley interview? I don't put it past them to let Searcy and Spiller go, but the way you react to things, I would rather listen myself.

Saying we have 5-7 years before we need to worry about our cap situation is absurd. You always have to worry about your cap situation and plan ahead. That is the worst kind of planning to blow tons of money just because you have it. You need to get a return on your money. Maybe signing a less expensive but still impact DE means maybe we sign Revis, or McCourty. We don't know yet, because Free Agency hasn't started yet.

Give Whaley a free pass? Why are you giving him a hard time? The Watkins trade? Really? He actually saw what he wanted and paid what he needed to get it. Isn't that exactly what you want him to do with Hughes? Because you know extra cap money couldn't be used in Free Agency to sign an impact Free Agent the same as a 1st round draft pick at 19 overall would? I would argue we might get more worth out of free agency this year with the extra cap money rather than the 19th pick.

And then to cap it all off you are blaming Whaley for a pick he hasn't even made yet. Whaley has done a fine job so far, and maybe you disagree with the moves the team makes, that is fine, and it is your opinion but the way you throw it around as established fact and doom for all is a bit inflammatory. This is why people are telling you to relax.

yes. It's why you only tag certain players you consider absolutely vital to what you do. As I said in the other Hughes thread, I love Hughes and would be elated to keep the line together, but I'm really surprised anyone expected he might be tagged. He's a great player in his own right. I don't believe he is simply a result of the other three. But that doesn't take away the fact that he didn't become even halfway decent until he played with them, and he hasn't shown he can perform against the type of double teams other guys get who are the lynchpins of their respective lines. That's why JPP and Justin Houston get tagged, and Hughes doesn't. This is a good article ....

@ranacashSN: A good look from @Jason_OTC on price points for pass rushers in free agency http://t.co/ddKrcLD0yj

He is a great player and the Bills clearly want to keep him. He isn't, however, irreplaceable. Dareus and Mario fall into that category.

I don't think franchising him was necessarily a wise decision given the huge hit, but I also thought that if we didn't he'd opt for FA - as is his right. No easy answers here.

If he wants north of $8-9M a year I would rather use that money to extend Dareus

CBF

$8-9m gets it done from the team's point of view as it allows us flexibility moving forward in free agency this year. I can't blame Hughes for thinking he's worth more on the open market. The $14.8m cap number to tag Hughes would have been a dereliction of duty.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

$8-9m gets it done from the team's point of view as it allows us flexibility moving forward in free agency this year. I can't blame Hughes for thinking he's worth more on the open market. The $14.8m cap number to tag Hughes would have been a dereliction of duty.

GO BILLS!!!

100%

GO BILLS!!!

I continue to think that Hughes' number is $12M per...less than Robert Quinn (who put up a 19 sack season between two 10's), more than Everson Griffen (who got $8.5M per without ever topping 6 sacks in a season), and same as Chris Long (has had 2 double-digit sack seasons out of 7).

I continue to think that Hughes' number is $12M per...less than Robert Quinn (who put up a 19 sack season between two 10's), more than Everson Griffen (who got $8.5M per without ever topping 6 sacks in a season), and same as Chris Long (has had 2 double-digit sack seasons out of 7).

I'd be shocked if he got that from us.

GO BILLS!!!

im going between 10-11m --- a step back from hali, but ahead of guys like griffen.

Me too. But, I honestly don't know what to expect with the new owners.

i think all we can expect is cash wont be an issue, so doug will be able to make the call he feels is right.

im going between 10-11m --- a step back from hali, but ahead of guys like griffen.

i think all we can expect is cash wont be an issue, so doug will be able to make the call he feels is right.

I'm saying 12+ simply because the cap is going up. If revenues rise, so must players' salaries as per the CBA. I'm going to say 12.5-13 per.

I'm saying 12+ simply because the cap is going up. If revenues rise, so must players' salaries as per the CBA. I'm going to say 12.5-13 per.

if teams start going all in with an anticipated jump in the cap of 15m next year - id have a hard time disagreeing. so far, only a couple seem to be showing that willingness - but that may change quick with free agency.

Me too. But, I honestly don't know what to expect with the new owners.

I think the new owners won't be deterred by anyone's price tag, unlike the strict budget and bottom line expectation under Mr. Wilson and Co. But it's not just a question of an open wallet. They want to make certain moves in free agency this year and that's gonna drive the money decisions. That's not to say that they won't give Hughes whatever he wants eventually, but they need to see how their other free agent plans shake out first. If they can't sign bigger targets that will free up more to give Hughes.

GO BILLS!!!

my QB sky is falling. Is that enough "doomed" for you from me or does my pass rush sky also need to fall in order for you to not label me a sarcastic typical homer?

No, you have to be negative about everything. Rex, Whaley, and Pegula have run this team into the ground for the last 15 years and you're going to stand here and agree with them on something? Ho-mer!