Patriots locker room attendant implicated in Deflate gate

Again, if what that poster said is correct and ALL 24 balls from both teams tested at the end of the game with the CORRECT air pressure, how would NE be guilty of something? Gauges are off all the time, just like scales are off all the time. From what we supposedly know, the Colts balls were not checked in game, just the Pats. If the gauge they used to check the Pats footballs in game was off and then a different gauge was used after the game to check all 24 and all 24 checked out, then its almost certainly going to be that the gauge used at halftime was off.

Scales, Thermometers, Air Pressure gauges are off all the time, its very common. So, if all 24 balls checked out after the game, I don't see how the Pats cheated.

That doesn't add up. Let's say that the Patriots* balls (giggle) were checked press game and found to be at "x" psi, and the Colts at "y" psi.

If the pats* were found to be at "x-2" and then the officials proceeded to add 2 lbs of pressure to get it back up to "x", one would have to assume that if the atmosphere played a role, the balls (snicker) when returned to a controlled environment would measure " x+2" psi.

So if they measured "x" psi after the game, they are soooo busted. Especially if they measured the colts balls (chuckle) and they remained at "y" psi.

And to answer your question, the league statement released last week said they reinflated the balls at halftime.

Edited by sodbuster

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And to answer your question, the league statement released last week said they reinflated the balls at halftime.

This is indeed what happened...

Also just saw this on Twitter

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk 5m5 minutes ago

Source: Gillette Stadium surveillance video shows employee taking 24 footballs into bathroom for roughly 90 seconds http://wp.me/p14QSB-9HaP

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 5m5 minutes ago

Source: Gillette Stadium surveillance video shows employee taking 24 footballs into bathroom for roughly 90 seconds http://wp.me/p14QSB-9HaP

The picture and accompanying explanation of the picture in that article are hilarious.

That doesn't add up. Let's say that the Patriots* balls (giggle) were checked press game and found to be at "x" psi, and the Colts at "y" psi.

If the pats* were found to be at "x-2" and then the officials proceeded to add 2 lbs of pressure to get it back up to "x", one would have to assume that if the atmosphere played a role, the balls (snicker) when returned to a controlled environment would measure " x+2" psi.

So if they measured "x" psi after the game, they are soooo busted. Especially if they measured the colts balls (chuckle) and they remained at "y" psi.

Here is the thing with what you said, you are missing key pieces of information. (The quote says all 24 were tested together after the game and all 24 were correct.)

1. What was the Colts starting PSI, and what was the Colts PSI after the game. Being legal doesn't mean the PSI didn't also vary. So far, all thats been said is the Colts footballs were legal...doesnt mean it didn't change still if they started with a higher PSI near or at the max of the allowable PSI.

2. Did they check the Colts footballs at half time (nothing I have read suggests they did). If they only checked the Pats, and the gauge was off, then it would give a false reading on only the Pats balls.

So while I don't disagree with what you said, its also incomplete. Again, if all the balls were checked pre game and post game and ALL 24 were correct and allowable PSI, but ONLY the Pats were checked at halftime, then that suggests its more likely the gauge used at half time was off. Especially since the reports say the refs removed the NE footballs at halftime, so they couldn't have gone and added more air to them.

Edited by Alphadawg7

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 5m5 minutes ago

Amazing...here is the next chapter of this saga. Could the kid find 12 NE balls amongst the 24 balls and let out exactly 2 PSI of each on in 90 seconds? LMAO...cant wait for all the reenactments and videos. Before you know it they are going to wonder if there was a "second deflater" on the grassy knoll. This story is crazy lol

This is just getting pathetic.

First it was the weather.

Then it was the prep process.

And now it's a ball boy acting on his own.

The NFL is throwing everything at the wall until something sticks that will free the Patriots of any wrongdoing.

He was in the bathroom for 90 seconds. I am pretty sure he didn't deflate 12 balls in 90 seconds.

For about 2PSI only a couple seconds per ball. Easy to make the assumption that it wasn't his first time doing this...

But why would the Pats* ball boy have the Colts balls too

Amazing...here is the next chapter of this saga. Could the kid find 12 NE balls amongst the 24 balls and let out exactly 2 PSI of each on in 90 seconds? LMAO...cant wait for all the reenactments and videos. Before you know it they are going to wonder if there was a "second deflater" on the grassy knoll. This story is crazy lol

Interesting question--I think they were in separate bags, and he allegedly only did 11 of 12, which makes it a bit easier. He might have been able to simply pop a needle into each quickly knowing the result is roughly 2 psi each, but that's still a lot of balls.

Two odd things here--

1. If he he was only going to the bathroom briefly, why take the balls in with him in his own locker room? It's not like a fellow Patriot player, coach or Staff member's going to do something to them in such a short time in plain sight (at least before this case!); and

2. We seem to have dueling leaks with competing narratives going on the last few days. Will be interesting to see what finally comes out here.

"Two bags of balls." Pats in one, Colts in the other. They're not mixed together in one bag; each bag gets delivered to the appropriate sideline.

And again, it's not difficult to evenly deflate the balls. Stick a needle in each for the same number of seconds, and they'll all deflate to roughly the same amount. And I'm guessing (I haven't checked - it's on my list of experiments to run) that it doesn't take that much experience to figure out how many seconds you need to deflate them to a roughly specific amount. That subject is non-issue.

But ninety seconds is not a lot of time. Eight seconds per ball, including taking them out and putting them back in the bag. Possible, I suppose, but not easy.

Edit: I also want to add that I'm not buying this at all. Removing eleven balls from the bag, deflating them by two psi, then putting them all back in, in 90 seconds? I'm thinking it's more likely that the guy just had to take a piss.

Edited by DC Tom

All I am going on is what you just said and quoted, so I don't see how they are guilty then if all 24 balls were checked AFTER the game and ALL 24 were at the CORRECT pressure...If what is in your post is correct, then that means the gauge they used initially was off and when later checked all the balls checked out correctly. It would actually mean the Patriots are innocent. I don't know if you posted this wrong or if thats the actual info released, but if its accurate then it would suggest the Pats are innocent not guilty.

Also what Peter King is clearly missing in the first bullet point is that unless you know the official starting PSI of the Colts footballs, you have no way of knowing if the PSI changed. The question is not if the Colts footballs were legal...the question is was there any variance in the PSI during the pregame check and the post game check in their footballs. If there was, then it gives credibility to the Pats...if there wasnt, then it gives credibility to manipulation.

I like Peter King, but IMO, for him to not address whether there was variance and just say the Colts balls had a legal amount of PSI is irresponsible journalism as its misleading and incomplete information.

They checked the Colts balls, too, before the game and they were fine. What, the gauge was off for the Pats but not the Colts?

i don't think it's either.. they know we have to watch. it's our game, played by the best among us.

it's unfortunate that our best must play in the NFL - a corrupt business that dishonors our game

their 'product' is unmatched in the world, because it's one of a kind.. and it's one of a kind, because it's comprised of the best of us.. the best of millions of american men who have gathered to play, coach and cheer the game on thousands of fields across our country - for generations. we are the game. we conceive it each hot july on pop warner practice fields; nurture it on cool autumn friday night high school fields; and mature it on cold winter saturday afternoon college fields.. we honor the game by giving everything we've got to it, knowing that the most we'll ever get back from it, is whatever respect our efforts earned that day.. and that's more than enough to keep us coming back. i guarantee you, that these two teams would play for nothing on your local high school field, if that was the only place they had to prove who was the champion. you may begin to play this game for your father, or for your sweetheart, or for money - but to play it well, and play it best, it has to be played for respect.. for honor.

the league seeks to hide dishonorable events, because it's caretakers fear their 'product' may be perceived as dishonorable.. and they're right.. because their 'product' has no honor - it's a brand they've put on our game.. the fact that a handful of men find themselves fortunate enough to be in a position to squeeze out every last drop of our love for the game into their pockets, is disturbing.. we all sense their slimy touch, and we can only hope that when the whistle blows, they haven't infected our game - a game played for honor - with their dishonorable connivances

Dang, youre like Braveheart!

What type of bag is it?

You could stick them right through a mesh bag for example without taking them out

There's another possible explanation for 11/12. He missed one in the exchange.

I think I've seen them on the sidelines, and they're opaque (they look like kind-of a thick nylon.)

They checked the Colts balls, too, before the game and they were fine. What, the gauge was off for the Pats but not the Colts?

The NFL tampered with the Pats' gauges! It's because the Pats are too dominant and the rest of the league is jealous! [/average Pats fan]

What about a 2-bullet theory? There was a bag of 12 other balls in the bathroom. The kid swapped bags.

Possible, but wouldn't there be video at some point of someone dropping off and picking up the extra bag of balls?

What about this:

10 seconds to remove 12 balls

Stick 2 balls at a time with a needle in each hand for 10 seconds (60 sec total)

10 seconds to put 12 balls back into bag

10 seconds to flush the toilet and run the sink.

Interesting, that would be most efficient it seems. Could there have been a second person already waiting in the bathroom to help too? I guess in that case, there would be video of that extra person leaving at some point.

So you take all of the balls (starting at say 11.5 psi) just before giving them to the refs and drop them in a jacuzzi for say 10 minutes. Inside heats to say 100-120 degrees.

Then you take each one run them under cold water for 30 seconds and wipe. Quickly take to refs for testing.

Ball has internal temperature of 110 and external of 70. What are the chances they even notice?