New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

Roger Goodell is the hot-head dad driving the car on the family trip while the kids in the back are getting rowdy and misbehaving. He doesn’t know what to do to straighten them out so he just sits there getting more angry. When he finally reacts to it, it’s simply out of frustration and his proclamations seem irrational and all out of proportion.

The kids know this. That's why they keep misbehaving. They sense that there is no true authority and they get a sick pleasure out of seeing not only what they can get away with but also just how insane dad will get if they push him.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help but to tie Pats & Co* to history with favorite villains in other facets of life: Adelphia, Enron, HealthSouth, Parmalat & Worldcom, Clinton, DeLay, Silver, Spitzer, Weiner, etc.

can we add Napoleon complex??

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Can't help but to tie Pats & Co* to history with favorite villains in other facets of life: Adelphia, Enron, HealthSouth, Parmalat & Worldcom, Clinton, DeLay, Silver, Spitzer, Weiner, etc.

If you talk to anyone who's had dealings with these characters before the true stories finally came out you will see a striking parallel. Performance and results were always outside the norm, and at times, too good to be true. And in all the cases, you felt the need to cleanse the body after meeting with them. But there were no smoking guns early on, and there were enough believers buying into the cult of personality to excuse away the wrong doing, even though there were many signs pointing to the frauds. It was only after the frauds were exposed that people got outraged helped with 20/20 hindsight vision, especially in the press. But before that, there wasn't a shortage of cheerleaders.

That's why I go back to the criminal enterprise theory. The deflated balls on their own may be a minor infraction. But it's another brick in the sociopath's wall. I think it's just a matter of time that history will prove it.

This. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Also, the minute someone tells you how much integrity he has (as Brady did yesterday), you can be pretty sure he has none. People with real integrity don't need to advertise it.

This. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Also, the minute someone tells you how much integrity he has (as Brady did yesterday), you can be pretty sure he has none. People with real integrity don't need to advertise it.

Truer words never spoken. The definition of integrity is essentially doing the right thing when no one is watching.

can we add Napoleon complex??

I don't think so. Maybe in Adelphia's case, but no so much in others.

It was simply a belief that they were smarter than everyone else and what they were doing wasn't really wrong because they had the best intentions and they were driving for their ultimate goal. Why wouldn't people just understand that?

They're different but not separate. Both are violations of the rules. Its just that one already has a check and subsequent punishment in place, whereas the Patriots issue (so it seems) does not. If a committee was in place I feel they would have standard protocols for things like these ready. Inconsistent punishments always make headlines, this would allay some of that.

this does have a standard in place, but also open ended for more extreme cases.

the nfl cant have default punishments for every possible situation. ill agree they need to find more consistency though.

Under his oversized ski cap, Tom Brady could not hide from the fact he was convicting himself in the court of public opinion. The quarterback of the New England Patriots admitted that footballs pumped up to 12.5 pounds per square inch are "a perfect fit for me," yet swore he did not notice a difference in the AFC Championship Game when most of the balls had significantly less pressure.

"I would never do anything outside of the rules of play," Brady said.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/12213363/tom-brady-tale-hold-weight

Under his oversized ski cap, Tom Brady could not hide from the fact he was convicting himself in the court of public opinion. The quarterback of the New England Patriots admitted that footballs pumped up to 12.5 pounds per square inch are "a perfect fit for me," yet swore he did not notice a difference in the AFC Championship Game when most of the balls had significantly less pressure.

This.

How can one of the best to ever play the game :sick: claim to know the exact PSI level he likes but then say he cant tell the difference when the ball is 1-2 lbs lighter?

CBF

He said during middle of the game //heat of battle he couldn't tell the difference, that makes sense to me

The Statistically Impossible Patriots Fumble Record

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/?p=2932

One can CLEARLY SEE the Patriots, visually, are off the chart. There is no other team even close to being near to their rate of 187 offensive plays (passes+rushes+sacks) per fumble. The league average is 105 plays/fumble. Most teams are within 21 plays of that number.

The odds of such a statistical distribution were calculated at one in 16,233. That’s a comma, not a decimal. Sixteen thousand two hundred and thirty three to one.

Patriots partisans might crow – well what good does deflating a football do? Simple. It creates angles on a football that didn’t exist when playing by the rules and allows a runner, passer, center, and most importantly, a quarterback, to better grip the ball. With the avoidance of turnovers being so central to winning football, a deflated football helps you win.

But it gets worse for Brady and the Patriots. Sharps was able to trace the emergence of this phenomena to a bright line date: 2007. Starting in 2007, the Patriots suddenly began to hold onto the football at a statistical rate likely to occur 1 time in 16,233.

He said during middle of the game //heat of battle he couldn't tell the difference, that makes sense to me

I dont believe that

take any professional in any sport and they would notice a difference.

A baseball player can tell when their bat is a few ounces too heavy or light, pitcher could tell if the ball was heavier, basketball players can tell if the ball is lighter etc....

With the amount of times Brady or any QB for that matter handles a football during the game I dont believe for a second that he would once notice

CBF

This isn't about whether the Patriots needed to cheat. This is only about whether they did cheat.

That is what the defenders of the pats* need to hear over and over.

The sidebar comments from former players also struck me as very damning.

Jerome Bettis: "I'm so disappointed because I thought this was a perfect opportunity for Tom Brady to go and say 'You know what? I made a mistake. I blew it. It's on me. I'll take the blame here, and this will go away.' He didn't do that ... I'm disappointed in you, Tom Brady."

Brian Dawkins: "This is unbelievable. For you not to know what you touch every play? ... The equipment manager is being thrown under the bus now. Now he's the guy. Now he's the one responsible. He took it upon himself to doctor up the balls when nobody else knew about it? That hard [to believe]."

Mark Brunell: "I did not believe what Tom had to say. Those balls were deflated. Somebody had to do it. I don't believe there's an equipment manager in the NFL that would, on his own initiative, deflate a ball without the starting QB's approval ... That football is our livelihood. If you don't feel good about throwing that ball? Your success on the football field can suffer from that."

The Sabres should start drilling holes in pucks so they can shoot faster. And maybe the Bisons can start filling up baseballs with gummy bears so they travel farther.

You know, since non regulation equipment seems to be all the rage now.

Edited by mastershake