This is too funny.... Marrone trys for Jax OC

plenzmd1

Oh Marrone is smart in a rattlesnake type of way.

Why take an assistant job in Jax over working with one of his few friends left in the business on a good team in Houston?

Easy. Bradley has been there two seasons. They have been bad. Marrone is already eyeing a mid season firing of Bradley and himself being named interim HC.

It's his plan to get back into the HC rotation.

Book it. Bradley would be doing himself in by bringing Cassius Marrone on board.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe it or not Marrone was an very good O line coach with the NY Jets, and wasn't a very good OC with the Saints as HC Sean Payton called the offensive plays.

Players on those Jets teams raved about how much St Doug helped them improve, and he was still out on the practice field with his players long after the rest of the teams practice had ended.

Hall of Fame Jets / Patriots RB Curtis Martin loves Marrone, as do many other players that worked with him.

http://nypost.com/2015/01/03/curtis-martin-kevin-mawae-rave-about-jets-coaching-favorite/

I'm glad that Marrone is gone mostly because he was oblivious to how ignorant his choice for OC was in Hackett, and he spent a lot of time and energy with his buddy Crossman & special teams.

Lastly, lets not forget that there is still dysfunction between the FO and HC in many ways. Marrone didn't like trading away the 2015 first & fourth for a wide receiver when he wasn't convinced EJ was the franchise QB. Marrone wanted changes to the personnel on the O line, and was denied by the FO with them telling him the current players were fine. The trading for RB Bryce Brown, WR Mike Williams that were not very good choices. The trading away of WR Stevie Johnson who would have made that red zone offense better. Clearly there is something wrong with the offensive side of the scouting dept when they bring in O line players like Colin Brown, Doug Legursky, Chris Williams.

I think its fairly safe to say that part of the reason why Marrone walked away was he was having difficulty obtaining the players he wanted, and the friction between he and Whaley. Plus, he might not have embraced reporting to the marketing / finance guy, and the owner.

NFL owners are a fraternity as well. And they don't take kindly to some uppity nobody embarrassing even their newest member. Marrone will not be a HC in this league again. He will be just as extinct as Mularkey is.

Meh. Most owners aren't that close I'm guessing. They'd step on another owner's toes and hire a guy who they thought could help them win without thinking twice. The problem with Marrone is, apparently, owners don't seem to think that that's the case with him. They also might not trust him to stick around whether not he wins. I'm guessing what would bother every owner out there would be look stupid. Having similar issues a second time around with Marrone would certainly qualify.

Edited by BarleyNY

This will be even better when they interview and hire Nate Hackett for the job.

Wouldn't that be a trip. And then somehow Marrone gets hired as Nate Hacketts o line coach

"Working in Jacksonville for the Jaguars is my dream job" -- said no one, ever.

Arent they in danger of relocating? Maybe he is hold in out for another early term clause

I still have a hard time understanding the thinking of those who say Marrone "made a smart decision" by taking the opt out clause. Yes, he earned his "freedom" and $4M. But look at his future now? He overestimated his worth and if he continues working in the NFL it will likely be as a position coach or "consultant." He's no longer on anyone's "short list" for a HC job. How was this smart? If he disagreed with Whaley on personnel the thing to do was to hash it out, with the Pegulas as moderators -- Terry said several times yesterday he wants everyone to voice their opinions.

Marrone won the short-term battle through very narrow-minded thinking...his bank account was padded, but he lost the long-term war.

And I'm thrilled he made his "smart" decision.

Believe it or not Marrone was an very good O line coach with the NY Jets

Lastly, lets not forget that there is still dysfunction between the FO and HC in many ways. Marrone didn't like trading away the 2015 first & fourth for a wide receiver when he wasn't convinced EJ was the franchise QB. Marrone wanted changes to the personnel on the O line, and was denied by the FO with them telling him the current players were fine. The trading for RB Bryce Brown, WR Mike Williams that were not very good choices. The trading away of WR Stevie Johnson who would have made that red zone offense better. Clearly there is something wrong with the offensive side of the scouting dept when they bring in O line players like Colin Brown, Doug Legursky, Chris Williams.

I think its fairly safe to say that part of the reason why Marrone walked away was he was having difficulty obtaining the players he wanted, and the friction between he and Whaley. Plus, he might not have embraced reporting to the marketing / finance guy, and the owner.

I believe that Marrone was a good OL coach. I forget who it was, someone who knew Marrone was interviewed as saying "he changed, they all change when they become HC but the most successful are those who change back closest to what they were".

I don't think we "know" that there is dysfunction between the HC and FO in many ways. I think that was the "spin" put out by the Marrone camp to justify his leaving - like the story that he was so upset at the Watkins trade he stormed out of the room, which Wawrow says he didn't. So I'm not sure it's "fairly safe" to say that. Pegula says he talked to Marrone more than anyone, so if Marrone was having all this trouble, why didn't El Pegul know?

I think it's fairly safe to say that Doug thought he could ditch the Bills, pocket $4 million, and go to the prom next season with a hot new girlfriend called "the Jets". I think everything else is just as likely to be revisionist history as anything else.

I still have a hard time understanding the thinking of those who say Marrone "made a smart decision" by taking the opt out clause. Yes, he earned his "freedom" and $4M. But look at his future now? He overestimated his worth and if he continues working in the NFL it will likely be as a position coach or "consultant." He's no longer on anyone's "short list" for a HC job. How was this smart? If he disagreed with Whaley on personnel the thing to do was to hash it out, with the Pegulas as moderators -- Terry said several times yesterday he wants everyone to voice their opinions.

Marrone won the short-term battle through very narrow-minded thinking...his bank account was padded, but he lost the long-term war.

And I'm thrilled he made his "smart" decision.

I'm not sure he over-estimated his worth at the time. His mistake was probably badmouthing the Bills to Polian, which exposed his pettiness and personality more. And more bad press about texting players. That led to all the Mannish Mehta pieces, which led to the Casullo interviews, which spooked Woody Johnson. That's why he's unemployed.

It's impossible to know but I think the actions after the fact of the opt out led to the avalanche of bad press. And he probably would have been hired without it. It exposed who he really was.

I'm not sure he over-estimated his worth at the time. His mistake was probably badmouthing the Bills to Polian, which exposed his pettiness and personality more. And more bad press about texting players. That led to all the Mannish Mehta pieces, which led to the Casullo interviews, which spooked Woody Johnson. That's why he's unemployed.

It's impossible to know but I think the actions after the fact of the opt out led to the avalanche of bad press. And he probably would have been hired without it. It exposed who he really was.

Perhaps. I still wonder why he wasn't willing to have an open debate with Whaley and the Pegulas over his alleged personnel concerns. I think we can assume that never happened -- Pegula and/or Whaley would have referenced it.

I agree 100%, turning the first winning season with the Bills in a decade probably elevated his stock (even if the last win was a scrimmage, and better coaching would have had the Bills at 11-5 or 12-4...). When you go out guns blazing people remember. When you're thought of as a quitter, people remember. I've seen the hotshot execs in the corporate world do this sort of thing, take a company from terrible to mediocre and move on. But if you trash the place on the way out I don't care if you're the CEO or the janitor, that's going to follow you to the next interview.

I'm also fairly sure that the owners have a long memory. This is one of the most exclusive clubs in the world. They talk for sure. He'll be lucky to get an O-Line job. He cost himself at least $4M, and he may not work in the NFL again. If he does, you can bet he won't be getting any golden parachute type clauses in his (relatively) small contract.

Fully agree. Not that my opinion is worth anything, but I feel the same way. I have no problem with him opting out. It's his right. It's how he did it, and the aftermath, that troubles me.

Fully agree. Not that my opinion is worth anything, but I feel the same way. I have no problem with him opting out. It's his right. It's how he did it, and the aftermath, that troubles me.

There are many things we have a contractual "right" to do -- that doesn't make them smart or the "right thing" to do. And obviously, Marrone's actions in the aftermath were atrocious.

I'm just glad he's gone.

He gets paid $4M for this year regardless of whether he works, right? In the unlikely event he sits on his couch this year and next year his opportunity cost is $4M.

So he gets to give half to the government, and he gets to never be respected again by NFL owners and players.

Genius move Doug. You took Syracuse to a 500 team and the same with Buffalo (I don't count the scrub game against Patriots and neither should you). So you've cemented your legacy as a mediocre coach who puts money first. Lucky for you the Detroit kicker missed FIVE straight field goals, and the Packer receivers dropped three TD's or you'd be 6-10.

Marrone will wind up HC for a college team. he will be shunned in the NFL.

That's what I think too. He's poisoned the NFL well now. Pros will buy into the tough guy act for a couple of years but even with major success it gets old real fast. That's why Harbaugh flamed out in San Fran and why Parcells frequently jumped around. GMs aren't going to hire a guy with a reputation of being difficult to work with, especially when he walked out on his chance and was below .500 as a coach.

I don't think Bradley's seat is that hot. The Jags GM was on NFL radio the other day talking about the commitment they made to rebuilding with youth a few years ago and talked about how there's full faith in Bradley and understanding it's going to take a while as there was no talent on the roster 2-3 years ago. Unless Bradley starts something like 0-10, I'd be very surprised to see him replaced mid season.

St. Doug is going to need to go back to college. It's a lot easier for the Iowa/Oregon St./Virginias of the world to sell a guy as rebuilding Syracuse and being a NFL head coach and it's a lot easier for St. Doug's act when he's recycling through entire teams every few years. Unless he makes Blake Bortles into Peyton Manning, the days of NFL HCDM may very well be over.

There are many things we have a contractual "right" to do -- that doesn't make them smart or the "right thing" to do. And obviously, Marrone's actions in the aftermath were atrocious.

I'm just glad he's gone.

I'm with you. I just wish he got the Jets job. That would have been epic to crush his azz right out of the league.