This is too funny.... Marrone trys for Jax OC

plenzmd1

I'm not sure he over-estimated his worth at the time. His mistake was probably badmouthing the Bills to Polian, which exposed his pettiness and personality more. And more bad press about texting players. That led to all the Mannish Mehta pieces, which led to the Casullo interviews, which spooked Woody Johnson. That's why he's unemployed.

It's impossible to know but I think the actions after the fact of the opt out led to the avalanche of bad press. And he probably would have been hired without it. It exposed who he really was.

I think that's pretty much right. I think Marrone is the sort of guy who can't keep his mouth shut even when it's in his interest - he has to justify himself. That's why bad press is so hard for him, as opposed to someone like Rex who can play the media like a fly fisherman but also knows when to STFU (remember Footgate "it's a personal matter"? Then SILENCE. The media gave up fairly quickly on that 'cuz Rex wouldn't give them a thing.)

It's like poking a bear with a stick. The NFL is a small community and generally no one wants to go on the record bad-mouthing someone or some organization they likely will need to work a deal with or get a favor from on down the road. But once you take the first poke, then the bear may wake up, break your stick and bite you.

I think because of Marrone's strong need to justify himself, Marrone's camp leaked the first stuff about Marrone dishing dirt to Polian and saying that's why Polian wouldn't take the job because he really respects Marrone's opinion. There was this article generally positive about Marrone and quoting an unnamed "former NFL GM" as saying: Regarding Marrone’s awkward departure from Buffalo, the GM said he did the right thing with no QB, front office friction and a new owner who will likely have waited a year to evaluate him before deciding whether to keep him. “He does what a very smart person does,” he said. “When Rome is burning, he doesn’t pretend it’s a camp fire.”

I don't think the Bills FO liked being referred to as "Rome Burning" and the blame for Doug's decision being placed on "front office friction". So someone in that office became willing to dish dirt when Mehta reached out to them (or that person even reached out to him). And once one source says something, the rest follow. "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote".

I think if Marrone had just kept his mouth shut aside from a brief press conference announcing his resignation due to "personal reasons" SILENCE and asked his agent etc to keep their mouths shut, the whole "small community" ethos would have protected him long enough to get the job he thought he had with the Jets. But I could be wrong. And it's a moot point anyway.

Edited by Hopeful

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps. I still wonder why he wasn't willing to have an open debate with Whaley and the Pegulas over his alleged personnel concerns. I think we can assume that never happened -- Pegula and/or Whaley would have referenced it.

I doubt they would have referenced it. Maybe. We still don't know what happened. It would not be smart for Whaley or The Pegulas to tell the media that Marrone wanted more power or more money for his assistants and they said no. Even if it were true. That's better left unsaid or better left said by other people as rumor. You don't want Rex Ryan seeing that and thinking oh, great, they're never going to give me what I need. They think they know it all. Much better to not let that stuff get out, take the high road, and then when Rex Ryan is talking with you, tell him what happened and that they are open to that stuff, just not at that time with that guy.

I think that's pretty much right. I think Marrone is the sort of guy who can't keep his mouth shut even when it's in his interest - he has to justify himself. That's why bad press is so hard for him, as opposed to someone like Rex who can play the media like a fly fisherman but also knows when to STFU (remember "it's a personal matter"? SILENCE. The media gave up fairly quickly on that 'cuz he wouldn't give them a thing.)

It's like poking a bear with a stick. The NFL is a small community and generally no one wants to go on the record bad-mouthing someone or some organization they likely will need to work a deal with or get a favor from on down the road. I think Marrone's camp leaked the first stuff about Marrone dishing dirt to Polian and that's why Polian wouldn't take the job because he really respects Marrone's opinion. There was this article generally positive about Marrone and quoting an unnamed "former NFL GM" as saying:

Regarding Marrone’s awkward departure from Buffalo, the GM said he did the right thing with no QB, front office friction and a new owner who will likely have waited a year to evaluate him before deciding whether to keep him.

“He does what a very smart person does,” he said. “When Rome is burning, he doesn’t pretend it’s a camp fire.”

I doubt they would have referenced it. Maybe. We still don't know what happened. It would not be smart for Whaley or The Pegulas to tell the media that Marrone wanted more power or more money for his assistants and they said no. Even if it were true. That's better left unsaid or better left said by other people as rumor. You don't want Rex Ryan seeing that and thinking oh, great, they're never going to give me what I need. They think they know it all. Much better to not let that stuff get out, take the high road, and then when Rex Ryan is talking with you, tell him what happened and that they are open to that stuff, just not at that time with that guy.

You two bring up some good points. I just see a guy like Rex -- and eleven other candidates who were not scared away by the "no QB" situation -- and wonder what Marrone's huge problem was. Rome wasn't burning at all.

The guy is apparently just a douche.

There are many things we have a contractual "right" to do -- that doesn't make them smart or the "right thing" to do. And obviously, Marrone's actions in the aftermath were atrocious.

I'm just glad he's gone.

My reasoning of why it was smart was not what he was thinking himself but the reality of the situation: He's just not that good and he's a dick. So I thought it was smart because he's getting the extra 4m plus a new contract for say 4-16. So he's getting 20. If he stays he's probably fired after next year for still screwing the offense so he would end up with only 8m and tough time finding another HC job.

My reasoning of why it was smart was not what he was thinking himself but the reality of the situation: He's just not that good and he's a dick. So I thought it was smart because he's getting the extra 4m plus a new contract for say 4-16. So he's getting 20. If he stays he's probably fired after next year for still screwing the offense so he would end up with only 8m and tough time finding another HC job.

In other words, he was smart for knowing he sucks. :lol:

No, he's too arrogant for that. He didn't know he was being smart because he's stupid. ;)

Actually, he was smart for knowing in advance that his umimpressive performance wouldn't be fully appreciated and rewarded by his boss.

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 14, 2015, 3:19 PM EST

marrone1.jpg?w=225AP

With the pool of head coaching jobs drying up, former Bills head coach Doug Marrone is apparently lowering his sights.

According to Ryan O’Halloran of the Florida Times-Union, Marrone was at Everbank Field Wednesday, begging and crawling for an interview for the vacant Jaguars offensive coordinator post.*

He has the financial flexibility afford by pocketing $4 million from the Bills when he opted out of his contract, but hasn’t found another head coaching job.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/14/doug-marrone-turns-up-in-jacksonville/

* I added begging and Crawling :cry:

Edited by HOUSE

Yea, bit of a life change going from 4 mil a year coaching to a couple hundred k coaching the line. Especially with a team with o line issues....do they want him to coach the line with a second year qb and a top pick that will probably be used on the o line?

Marrone will wind up HC for a college team. he will be shunned in the NFL.

I dont agree he is shunned by the nfl.

Lots of coaches are Aholes and still have jobs. if you have what it takes, you'll make it.

By this logic, nfl owners and gms dont think he has what it takes. That's all it is.

NFL owners are a fraternity as well. And they don't take kindly to some uppity nobody embarrassing even their newest member. Marrone will not be a HC in this league again. He will be just as extinct as Mularkey is.

Mularkey is not extinct.

He got another chance in Jacksonville in 2012.

He's now a TE coach for Tenn.

Again, if you're good, you'll have a job. Mularkey has shown to not be good enough for HC. That's all.

Yes.

I don't see how that's torpedoing. We don't know who called who or what was asked, unless I miss a report. Maybe Polian called up Marrone right after he had his final heated discussion with Whaley. I don't know if that's vindictive if Polian asked Marrone his thoughts on the new owners.

So he gets to give half to the government, and he gets to never be respected again by NFL owners and players.

Genius move Doug. You took Syracuse to a 500 team and the same with Buffalo (I don't count the scrub game against Patriots and neither should you). So you've cemented your legacy as a mediocre coach who puts money first. Lucky for you the Detroit kicker missed FIVE straight field goals, and the Packer receivers dropped three TD's or you'd be 6-10.

He was 9-7. Period.

The woulda shoulda coulda goes both ways. What if Jets pounded us both games then we would be 7-9. But that didnt happen. We pounded the Jets both times. I get what you're trying to imply. Wether it's luck or outright better coaching, it was Marrones luck that made all the things bounce his way or his coaching. If he was 1-15 the blame would be on him. Same thing. The 9-7 credit is due him.

To deny his record is not giving the due credit. Now if you dont like the guy, that's different.

Marrone got some bad advice from his agent. Marrone probably could have got a solid extension (Maybe 4 years 20+ million) from the Pegulas (Who seem to have very generous pockets). Instead he thought he could get a payout on this year plus get another 4 or 5 year contract offer to coach another team. Now it looks like he might have to build up his resume as a coordinator.