Trade for Mike Glennon?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Glennon is a statue in a league where QBs increasingly will need "legs" to succeed. The speed on defense just gets quicker and quicker every year.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Roman does for Manuel. Alex Smith went from an average of 71 QB rating to a 90 QB rating the season he was first coached by Roman. Also, Roman made Kaepernick a real threat for a couple of years.

I think EJ will solidify the QB position with much improved play this year under Roman.

Glennon has averaged being sacked 2.95 times per game behind a terrible O-line...That's certainly not terrible...

He's not a statue and he never was...Even at NC St...He is 6-7 without great straight line speed, and he's only going to be able to be so quick at that height...But compared to Orton he's Flutie... B-)

• 3 months later...

I personally believe this would be the best option for the Buffalo Bills at this stage of the game. Trade either EJ or Bryce Brown and a draft pick for Glennon. He certainly is a great pocket passer that can make all the throws -- something we haven't had since Bledsoe. I really wish this would happen and I would be even more excited for next season.

I say he is the best option for the Bills for a few reasons.

1. He's the best QB that is on the trade market.

2. He did surprisingly well for a young pocket QB with a horrible offensive line.

3. We have elite WRs and a very good TE that can benefit greatly from a guy who can make the throws.

4. He's young enough to be a franchise QB if he improves.

5. He's actually quite a smart QB that can read defenses well. With the guys in the backfield that we have now, he would offer a unique offensive weapon with ground and pound and the pressure wouldn't constantly be on him.

6. If he is a franchise QB, he doesn't count much against the cap and that would continue until 2017.

7. If he isn't the guy, it didn't cost the Bills much at all and the Bills have genuinely tested a good pocket passer -- something they haven't done in a long time.

8. Instead of testing an unproven QB in the draft, bringing in Glennon still affords the Bills a rookie contract that doesn't commit to too much and allows the Bills to work on the most important weakness of the Bills: The Offensive Line.

Edited by Vinaccia

I personally believe this would be the best option for the Buffalo Bills at this stage of the game. Trade either EJ or Bryce Brown and a draft pick for Glennon. He certainly is a great pocket passer that can make all the throws -- something we haven't had since Bledsoe. I really wish this would happen and I would be even more excited for next season.

2. He did surprisingly well for a young pocket QB with a horrible offensive line.

3. We have elite WRs and a very good TE that can benefit greatly from a guy who can make the throws.

5. He's actually quite a smart QB that can read defenses well. With the guys in the backfield that we have now, he would offer a unique offensive weapon with ground and pound and the pressure wouldn't constantly be on him.

6. If he is a franchise QB, he doesn't count much against the cap and that would continue until 2017.

7. If he isn't the guy, it didn't cost the Bills much at all and the Bills have genuinely tested a good pocket passer -- something they haven't done in a long time.

8. Instead of testing an unproven QB in the draft, bringing in Glennon still affords the Bills a rookie contract that doesn't commit to too much and allows the Bills to work on the most important weakness of the Bills: The Offensive Line.

The exact same thing could be said about EJ.

I'm guessing Bruce Arians trades for him. Perfect fit.

The Bills definitely aren't trading for Glennon. Whaley drafted Manuel in the same draft class that had Glennon. Trading away the unproven Manuel for the unproven Glennon would make Whaley have to admit he made a mistake at most important decision of all even though Glennon hasn't proven anything either. He'd be on the hook for both Manuel and Glennon! I just don't see Whaley even entertaining this idea. He made his bold pick in that draft and that's it.

Edited by 1billsfan

I'm guessing Bruce Arians trades for him. Perfect fit.

The Bills definitely aren't trading for Glennon. Whaley drafted Manuel in the same draft class that had Glennon. Trading away the unproven Manuel for the unproven Glennon would make Whaley have to admit he made a mistake at most important decision of all even though Glennon hasn't proven anything either. He'd be on the hook for both Manuel and Glennon! I just don't see Whaley even entertaining this idea. He made his bold pick in that draft and that's it.

I cannot see in what world we would trade for Glennon

I say we should now trade for Tebow. Now that Chip wants Tim it means he must have improved. Besides, the Eagles are about the only team that will trade with us. It will get us a lot of press and people will say we continue to turn over every rock. We can win the off-season press coverage trophy without a first round pick! Re-unite Tim with with Rex, then go get Sanchez. We can have it all. 6 QBs trying for one spot, surely one of them has to be the answer.

I get it that you like Glennon and would be excited to see him as the Bills QB

What I don't get is, what would be the motivation of the TB general manager to make that trade? Even if they draft Winston or Mariota, they still need a backup QB.

They cut McCown. FA pickings are slim and $3-5M/yr is the going rate.

What qualities does EJ have that would lead Tampa to think he's a better more competent more reliable NFL backup (or NFL QB in general)?

What qualities does Bryce Brown have that would lead them to ring fence $5M and go dumpster-diving for a competent FA backup QB?

What draft pick do you have in mind to offer?

Kaep under Roman:

2012 62% of his passes, with 14 TDs, 5 INTs, and a 99 Rating

2013 58% of his passes, with 24 TDs, 11 INTs, and a 88.7 Rating

2014 61% of his passes, with 19 TDs, 10 INTs, and a 86.4 Rating

IMHO, Kaep may be the best athlete at QB in the NFL; however, he has as many issues as EJ, if not more, as a pocket passer

I almost think i would take those numbers. Especially as a benchmark

• 2 weeks later...

He would only cost 3.1 million against the cap and he does a great job avoiding pressure pretty athletically for a 6'6 pocket QB. He has all the tools to be a great QB on the Bills being able to make all the throws with lots of various weapons on the Bills offense. This is the trade to make with Winston being the starter for the Bucs next year. The Browns and Jets got their young QBs now after draft week. I REALLY hope the Bills are going to get this guy.

He would only cost 3.1 million against the cap and he does a great job avoiding pressure pretty athletically for a 6'6 pocket QB. He has all the tools to be a great QB on the Bills being able to make all the throws with lots of various weapons on the Bills offense.

On what basis do you think this? I don't see any real athleticism and I see him no more able to make those key intermediate throws into tight window accurately than EJ. He has a better touch on his deep balls than EJ but beyond that I am really not sure he gives us anything we don't already have.

On what basis do you think this? I don't see any real athleticism and I see him no more able to make those key intermediate throws into tight window accurately than EJ. He has a better touch on his deep balls than EJ but beyond that I am really not sure he gives us anything we don't already have.

Watch this footage:

:23, 1:26, 1:58, 2:07 for athleticism and throwing on the run and placing the ball carefully in spots where only the receiver can grab it.

The Bucs have said he is not available for trade

@gregauman: Bucs GM Jason Licht said he didn't get calls on Mike Glennon today, because back to combine, team had made it clear it wanted to keep him.

All the GMs say that until a dire need is available in a trade and then that talk goes out the window

Hard pass.

Glennon would have a hard time beating out Tuel. :ph34r:

It's comments like these that are not facilitating to the discussion in any way whatsoever, but I will follow up. Tell me how a quarterback like Glennon, that had a terrible offensive line in front of him with very little weapons yet still came up out with an 83.7 quarterback rating and 29 tds with 15 interceptions over 19 starts, could be beat out by a 3rd string QB with a 45.1 passer rating with 1 td and 3 interceptions over one game?