OSU's Cardale Jones considering NFL jump

Punch

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's such an interesting situation. As much as people want to pretend a great college team could play with the worst NFL team, there's no way.

Johnny Bench destroyed one of the better college defense of recent times in Alabama. He look like a JV high school football player against the Bengals.

Obviously this guy has the physical tools, but so do a lot of others. I think Urban has one successful pro Qb and that's Alex Smith, who is the definition of average.

He is going to declare but are the Bills really in position to draft a project qb with possibly a 2nd round pick?

His pro day will be 85 yard deep throws to projected 1st rd pick Devin Smith.

You think Smith is a 1st rounder? Great deep ball threat but seems one dimensional.

It's such an interesting situation. As much as people want to pretend a great college team could play with the worst NFL team, there's no way.

Johnny Bench destroyed one of the better college defense of recent times in Alabama. He look like a JV high school football player against the Bengals.

Obviously this guy has the physical tools, but so do a lot of others. I think Urban has one successful pro Qb and that's Alex Smith, who is the definition of average.

He is going to declare but are the Bills really in position to draft a project qb with possibly a 2nd round pick?

You think Smith is a 1st rounder? Great deep ball threat but seems one dimensional.

He's on Kiper's big board as a 1st rounder.

Urban signed Cam Newton, Cam just got himself into trouble.

He's on Kiper's big board as a 1st rounder.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if he goes in round one by the time the workouts are done. Someone trading up late to take him before someone early in the 2nd kind of thing. It also wouldn't shock me (though it would surprise me) if he overtakes one of the top 2 QBs on the board -- either for fear of Mariota being a system guy or fears over Winston's character issues. But that's probably unlikely.

Yes. We've never been in a better position to do so. We need to improve the QB position, now and for the future. We have very few other needs, certainly none as important as QB.

Take a project QB in the 2nd, find an interior OL, TE, RB with your remaining picks, grab a couple of FAs as well.

Ironically, I thought Mariotta outplayed Jones in the championship game (not that Jones played badly). Late in the game, he was 20-26 for over 260 yards (10+ ypa), 2 TDs, and 0 INTs, and he SHOULD have been 23-26 (3 easy drops). By that point, though, they were too far behind and he had to throw on every down.

I thought Mariotta looked good - the offense was creative, and he was accurate.

I hate Kiper. He had Jimmy Clausen as a 1st rounder.

IYO, is he worth a 1st?

He's outstanding. Speed, strength, vertical, high points, contested 50/50 catches, blocks, plus best ST gunner in country IMO. I did not think he'd go in the 1st because tOSU didn't throw the ball much in the Urban-Braxton offense so he had no exposure. He was a Tressell recruit. They started throwing it and he got on the map. I think 2nd is more realistic but depends on the WR depth this year.

Ah yes. Good recall. But since he didn't really coach him, can't really claim him.

Urban didn't recruit Cardale, and IMO he would not have. He inherited him and was forced to play him.

2 things:

- I think that Smith is a mid 1st- mid 2nd round prospect. I would expect him to run well and be a late 1st.

- Cardale is so interesting because of his physical tools. It has nothing to do with the system. Nobody was touting Braxton as a 1st round type of guy despite his monster production. With that being said Cardale is the perfect prospect for a team like the Saints. He will need some time to develop. He gives a team with a franchise QB a chance to get a guy that team's with great QBs are rarely bad enough to get. Those teams rarely win 6 games or less and have a shot at elite talent. He is a project though and needs time to learn on the bench IMO. He'd make a lot of sense for the Saints, Steelers, or Chargers even. Those QBs have all been in the league over 10 years.

2 things:

- I think that Smith is a mid 1st- mid 2nd round prospect. I would expect him to run well and be a late 1st.

- Cardale is so interesting because of his physical tools. It has nothing to do with the system. Nobody was touting Braxton as a 1st round type of guy despite his monster production. With that being said Cardale is the perfect prospect for a team like the Saints. He will need some time to develop. He gives a team with a franchise QB a chance to get a guy that team's with great QBs are rarely bad enough to get. Those teams rarely win 6 games or less and have a shot at elite talent. He is a project though and needs time to learn on the bench IMO. He'd make a lot of sense for the Saints, Steelers, or Chargers even. Those QBs have all been in the league over 10 years.

I saw Smith play in person against Illinois, and I thought he looked outstanding. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he went in the top 40 picks. Made some very pretty catches and just looked crisp out there.

I saw Smith play in person against Illinois, and I thought he looked outstanding. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he went in the top 40 picks. Made some very pretty catches and just looked crisp out there.

He kind of reminds me of Torrey Smith. He's really good in traffic and made a lot of big plays.