With Rex Coming, Front Office Changes?

norton20

In view of Ryan's relationship with Pettine, I'd be very curious if Rex reached out to him for an assessment of the front office. Given that Marrone seemed to have issues not just with Whaley but others, I wonder if Rex had demands about who had to go and whether Ryan has people he wants there to ensure he has support throughout the building.

Just a hunch but I think one of the things that makes Rex an attractive hire is that he is all about football. Personally, I think it says a lot about Whaley's reputation that Ryan is coming to Buffalo. After two pretty disastrous GMs in NY, I am sure it was an important element to his next job. I am sure Ryan is/was satisfied with the reporting structure and football operations department. He will have very little reason to deal directly with football administration or media relations types. I could see him influencing the training department and the strength and conditioning "coaches".

It is more up to the Pegulas to evaluate the non-football operation. I think, all in all, introducing a defined hierarchy with strong leadership, a lot of the nonsense that has been going on will take care of itself. I still think the Pegulas will bring in people they have a history with and trust but it remains to be seen if they will be full-time employees or server like a board of directors.

In view of Ryan's relationship with Pettine, I'd be very curious if Rex reached out to him for an assessment of the front office. Given that Marrone seemed to have issues not just with Whaley but others, I wonder if Rex had demands about who had to go and whether Ryan has people he wants there to ensure he has support throughout the building.

The front office will not be changing this year. It's possible that changes next year but it's pretty evident that these are their guys. If Whaley led the interviews who are we asking about? The only guy that I could see leaving is Overdorf and he is a contract negotiator/capologist.

The front office will not be changing this year. It's possible that changes next year but it's pretty evident that these are their guys. If Whaley led the interviews who are we asking about? The only guy that I could see leaving is Overdorf and he is a contract negotiator/capologist.

Pegula led the interviews.

I don't know about changes, but if indeed Brandon wanted the Shanahans, it doesn't appear that Pegs listened too hard to him... and that's a good thing.

here that

I don't know about changes, but if indeed Brandon wanted the Shanahans, it doesn't appear that Pegs listened too hard to him... and that's a good thing.

No reason to listen to a guy who inexplicably cost them another 4M and hired Marrone. Cue the Brandon apologists, but if the last HC search was any indication, Brandon should stick to what he's done outside of football operations.

here that

I can't remember which nationally recognized NFL media source said it now, but Doug Whaley was said to be leading the interviews.

At various points Terry Pegula was said to insert his own random question or comment, presumably somewhat out of place and coming from left field, according to the source.

I can't remember who said this, but I'm sure I read the reference to this as some Twitter post reported at this forum, some time today.

I don't care what they do, just keep Brandon far away from any football related decisions.

I"m pretty sure that has already been taken care of.

I mean...since the ownership change, Brandon doesn't have a damned thing to do with football operations or anything of substance, as it should be.

No reason to listen to a guy who inexplicably cost them another 4M and hired Marrone. Cue the Brandon apologists, but if the last HC search was any indication, Brandon should stick to what he's done outside of football operations.

Not to rewrite history; When the Bills were hiring their HC two seasons ago, Marrone was considered a front-runner along with Chip Kelly. The Bills were challenged to make a big-time hire and they did that with Marrone. Obviously, the HC candidates like Marrone had the leverage with the bills urgency to hire a big-time coach. I am sure that 4M was the poison pill added to that contract to ensure that a "name" coach was hired. The Bills did just that. I don't think Brandon would have normally done it, but that was going to be his first HC hire.

Not to rewrite history; When the Bills were hiring their HC two seasons ago, Marrone was considered a front-runner along with Chip Kelly. The Bills were challenged to make a big-time hire and they did that with Marrone. Obviously, the HC candidates like Marrone had the leverage with the bills urgency to hire a big-time coach. I am sure that 4M was the poison pill added to that contract to ensure that a "name" coach was hired. The Bills did just that. I don't think Brandon would have normally done it, but that was going to be his first HC hire.

Jimmy Sexton did a number on Brandon, as Eugene Parker has done as well. While Russ may talk a nice game for the fans, he doesn't have the experience to deal with sport agents. The results bear that out.

And we see what Sexton has been up to lately with Marrone, although the NYC media has quickly thrown a wet blanket over that. I think Marrone is more a product of his agent than actually a top candidate for a HC position. And I think the same holds true back in 2013 when Sexton manufactured this image of a highly in-demand coach who in reality wasn't.

I can't remember which nationally recognized NFL media source said it now, but Doug Whaley was said to be leading the interviews.

At various points Terry Pegula was said to insert his own random question or comment, presumably somewhat out of place and coming from left field, according to the source.

I can't remember who said this, but I'm sure I read the reference to this as some Twitter post reported at this forum, some time today.

Yep. Pegula was not leading interviews. Whaley was.

Is the concept that Doug Whaley is extremely well respected in NFL circles having come up in the Steelers organization and then groomed for the GM job he is in right now?

Why is everyone looking for the bad in the good every time.

Today was a good day

tumblr_ml60g9bvcV1rgje4po1_400.gif

I am happy with the hire but if I were to pick the potential head coach that was the most "marketable", it would be Ryan. Thay makes me wonder about how involved Brandon is. I wish they would just cut ties with him. I know he is considerd a "marketing genius" but I really wish he would be cut out of everything else.

Some reports have said that Whaley was asking all the questions, with the occasional "random interjection" from Pegs.

I am happy with the hire but if I were to pick the potential head coach that was the most "marketable", it would be Ryan. Thay makes me wonder about how involved Brandon is. I wish they would just cut ties with him. I know he is considerd a "marketing genius" but I really wish he would be cut out of everything else.

Sullivan made me throw up in my mouth a bit in a generally positive article by saying something to the effect "Brandon obviously had a lot of input into the decision"

I hope not! The only thing that gives me hope is that I don't think Sully has any kind of inside track.