True cost of Bills' Watkins trade

Great trade. We have a number 1 WR who will be a dynamic play-maker for years. there are no QB's in this draft that would of been worth the 1st rd pick we would of had.

WIN WIN

J

Hopefuly EJ progresses or we find a decent vet who can throw an accurate pass, but the fact remains crappy year for QB's in the 1st rd.

Edited by Snorom

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Option A: sammy watkins

Option B: TE eric ebron & 19th overall 2015 (what the bills would have done if kept pick)

Option C: CB justin glibert & 19th overall 2015 (what cleveland did)

i'll take option "A"

Edited by papazoid

Wait, we traded something to get Sammy Watkins?

The draft is like the carnival game where you throw the rings at the beer bottles. We traded a handful of rings for the opportunity to hop over the counter and cram a ring over the neck of the bottle.

We got our giant stuffed dog. Time to go wolf down a funnel cake.

It was a dumb move and Marrone was right. We keep the pick the Bills then could have bolstered the O line and then drafted a viable QB option like Carr. A much better scenario for the Bills. Tack on what we now seem to know that Marrone didn't want EJ and you realize the no win catch 22 predicament he was in. He's tasked to build an offense then is totally hamsrtinged by Whaley about personnel decisions. You can't hire somebody to do a job then put roadblocks in his way. And he still got the team to 9-7 with a cowardly sloth as the best option at QB. I would have opted out too once I learned that it wasn't going to change.

The draft is like the carnival game where you throw the rings at the beer bottles. We traded a handful of rings for the opportunity to hop over the counter and cram a ring over the neck of the bottle.

We got our giant stuffed dog. Time to go wolf down a funnel cake.

Ha, great analogy! :thumbsup:

It was a dumb move and Marrone was right. We keep the pick the Bills then could have bolstered the O line and then drafted a viable QB option like Carr. A much better scenario for the Bills. Tack on what we now seem to know that Marrone didn't want EJ and you realize the no win catch 22 predicament he was in. He's tasked to build an offense then is totally hamsrtinged by Whaley about personnel decisions. You can't hire somebody to do a job then put roadblocks in his way. And he still got the team to 9-7 with a cowardly sloth as the best option at QB. I would have opted out too once I learned that it wasn't going to change.

It's not too late.

GO BILLS!!!

The NBA teams do this all the time. You jettison your first round pick when you know you'll be pressed to sign your own upcoming free agents, so the team can keep valuable contributors rather then unproven rookies.

No first round pick, but maybe we can keep Hughes, Dareus and Glenn.

1 FA and 3 draft picks on the OL in off-season not enough for you? Try developing your players and giving your QB more than 14 games.

whether you move up, down or stay where you are, you still have to "hit" on your pick.

i usually prefer moving down, pick up an extra 2nd and spread the salary cap and risk of injury over two players (see kiko). i also prefer using first rounders on front 7 players. getting skill later.

having said that, sammy is a special talent, who played hurt and had chit for qb's.

this is going to work out to our advantage in the long run.

1 FA and 3 draft picks on the OL in off-season not enough for you? Try developing your players and giving your QB more than 14 games.

You forgot the part about trying to get the ball into the hands of your best player instead of throwing screens to Chris Hogan and Fred Jackson 2 out of every 3 plays.

Bolstered the line like take Kouandjio in the 2nd round then bench him all year?

Except that's not what the Bills were going to do. They were not going OL in round one and not picking Carr in Rd 2. It's really simple.

Look at the post a few above yours for the three alternatives.

1 - Watkins

or

2 - Ebron + mid 1st pick this year (Bills would have been at least two games worse this year w/o Watkins)

In that scenario, I still take Watkins.

So tell me, why couldn't MR wonderfull Coach his oline? Why have they gotten worse each year he's been here? Maybe He's just not a very good coach...

I dont tell me he had bad players, pretty much the whole line Gailey had is still here. Good coaches coach to the player strengh, NOT to what he thinks they should do. Shula=GREAT coach Morrone=below AVG just like his record.

Edited by gordong

The trade wasn't the issue, it was drafting EJ in the first place... it set this all into motion. Once it was decided to NOT have a veteran QB to backup EJ, we were screwed.

You are correct to point out that the mistake on the EJ Manuel pick led to the mistake on the Sammy Watkins trade/pick. Both decisions were bad and this is the main reason Doug Whaley should have been fired by now. However, it seems Mr. Pegula is content with Whaley. Now that Whaley seems to be at the center of the search for a new head coach, I'm hoping his string of catastrophic errors doesn't continue.

I strongly believe that history will show Whaley blew it and it will set back the Bills significantly.

Option A: sammy watkins

Option B: TE eric ebron & 19th overall 2015 (what the bills would have done if kept pick)

Option C: CB justin glibert & 19th overall 2015 (what cleveland did)

i'll take option "A"

We don't actually know what they were going to do. Been rumors about Ebron and Beckham. And they could have xhnaged their mind, taken someone else, or even made another trade.

But for argument sake. Let's say its Ebron. I find it funny that pro-trade crowd is always harping on it being too early to compare watkins and Beckham, yet they've already labeled Ebron a bust, as is the foregone 2015 1sr round pick

Edited by JTSP