Which team makes the first HC hire?

Here is Doug Marrone's introductory speech when he lands his first job:

"First off, okay, I want to thank Joseph Gillotti, head custodian here at St. Vincent's School for the Deaf for opening the school auditorium early and turning on the heat. Okay? Second, thank you to Sister Mary Bernadette for making Nate and I feel welcome during our tour of the campus. When we stopped in her office afterward, the chamomile tea with 2% milk was the perfect touch to sway me in my decision to take over as not only coach but player personnel director. With the ability to oversee all football operations here at St. Vincent's, I believe you will see a big change in the development and performance of our athletes. I plan on using all new hand signals for our players so they can stay engaged in the play, okay...and more importantly...I will teach them to play until they hear the whistle....errrrr, I mean, they won't hear the whistle, but I am creating a new "shock collar" system so the players can play through to a small shock which will signal the end of the play, okay? Obviously, this won't hurt the players...much. But their efforts will obviously lead to results. Now, I'll take some questions...but won't answer anything to do with injuries, future scouting, player development, my coaching philosophy or anything to do with this program...ohhhh, one final thing...Go Saints!!"

Edited by BringBackFergy

"First off, okay, I want to thank Joseph Gillotti, head custodian here at St. Vincent's School for the Deaf for opening the school auditorium early and turning on the heat. Okay? Second, thank you to Sister Mary Bernadette for making Nate and I feel welcome during our tour of the campus. When we stopped in her office afterward, the chamomile tea with 2% milk was the perfect touch to sway me in my decision to take over as not only coach but player personnel director. With the ability to oversee all football operations here at St. Vincent's, I believe you will see a big change in the development and performance of our athletes. I plan on using all new hand signals for our players so they can stay engaged in the play, okay...and more importantly...I will teach them to play until they hear the whistle....errrrr, I mean, they won't hear the whistle, but I am creating a new "shock collar" system so the players can play through to a small shock which will signal the end of the play, okay? Obviously, this won't hurt the players...much. But their efforts will obviously lead to results. Now, I'll take some questions...but won't answer anything to do with injuries, future scouting, player development, my coaching philosophy or anything to do with this program...ohhhh, one final thing...Go Saints!!"

You missed a half dozen "obviously"s.

I think Atlanta or the Jets make the first hire.

My guess is Atlanta hires Rex Ryan in the next 24 hours.

It makes sense from the standpoint that they already have competent offensive players, and need someone to bring that defense along (and they just spent a fair amount of $$ in the FA market on 3-4 personnel).

Also, they've "fulfilled" their Rooney Rule requirement by interviewing their own ST coach, so they can make a hire whenever they're ready.

Ryan interviews with them today.

Atlanta or the Jets. I think the Jets wanted to get in early with Doug Marrone but if the rumours are true that he didn't interview well then maybe they are in re-assess mode. Altanta could well fall in love with Rex and hire him in the next 24/36 hours. I don't think the 49ers will be far behind. I have a growing feeling that they are going to go with Shanahan Snr. I think the Bills, Bears and Raiders are less specific in respect of "we want this type of guy" and so they are looking at all their options and covering all the bases.

Loved this. You failed to mention how he said this was his dream job!

I have a feeling it will be the Falcons

CBF

Atlanta seems to be the most logical. Yet I wouldn't dismiss the Raiders either since they seem to be going after alternative options that other teams are looking at and they already have their front office fixed which some of the other teams looking out there don't.

Atlanta or the Jets. I think the Jets wanted to get in early with Doug Marrone but if the rumours are true that he didn't interview well then maybe they are in re-assess mode. Altanta could well fall in love with Rex and hire him in the next 24/36 hours. I don't think the 49ers will be far behind. I have a growing feeling that they are going to go with Shanahan Snr. I think the Bills, Bears and Raiders are less specific in respect of "we want this type of guy" and so they are looking at all their options and covering all the bases.

I have to imagine that the 49ers would have concerns on how badly things ended up with RG3 & Shanahan. Would they bring in Shananan after the year Kaepernick just had? Is he the guy who can get him back on track?

seems like its going a bit slower than in years past - just my imagination? i guess with no "chip kelly" its not as urgent and everyone can take their time finding "their guy" instead of "the guy"??

The Bills named Doug Marrone HC on this date (January 6th in 2013), http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bills/2013/01/06/buffalo-bills-hire-syracuse-coach-doug-marrone/1811827/so yes it's a little slower process this go round. That said we're also interviewing a whole lot more people as when we named Doug we only saw 5 people.

Edited by The Jokeman

seems like its going a bit slower than in years past - just my imagination? i guess with no "chip kelly" its not as urgent and everyone can take their time finding "their guy" instead of "the guy"??

Yeah ESPN radio was talking about that this morning. Basically there are no "must haves" out there. Harbaugh was the closest and he signed immediately. Lots of current assistants still in the playoffs. They figured Rex would sign first with Atlanta but even that would not likely set off a feeding frenzy like in seasons past. Similar to QBs, if you need a HC now you are in dire straights and need to look long and hard everywhere to see if you can find a diamond in the rough.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I think that's part of it...I also think that teams are learning their lesson as far as playing the waiting game. Hiring assistants isn't as big an issue as getting the right HC, so teams are going to be willing to wait for the best coordinators to finish their playoff chase.

I have a feeling it will be the Falcons

CBF

A good question. Have to wonder how many of the team owners and their respective team's FO's are playing the waiting game to see which coaching candidate(s) remain available. I wouldn't wait too long or somebody may end up without a prom date.

IMHO if the Chicago Bears are wise they'd tapped Shanahan (GM) & Shanahan(HC), add a smart & savvy DC and make some wise moves in the draft and sort out the "keepers" on their current roster. Not sure what happened between Cutler, Trestman, etc., but I would retain his services for at least one more year. He either learns the younger Shanahan's playbook and produces or bid adieu.