Did Marrone/Whaley rift start with Sammy Watkins selection?

NoSaint

Are you telling me Graham, Rodak, Buscaglia, Capaccio, LaContorta, Schefter, etc., etc., wouldn't have run like crazy with this back in May? That trade was the story of the draft!

I don't know about story of the draft. No one nationally really cares about the Bills. And I'm not that confident in journalists, national or local, doing their jobs well.

Not saying I buy that it happened. Just saying that it could've. Marrone throwing a hissyfit is pretty consistent with everything else we've heard about him afterall.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about story of the draft. No one nationally really cares about the Bills. And I'm not that confident in journalists, national or local, doing their jobs well.

Not saying I buy that it happened. Just saying that it could've. Marrone throwing a hissyfit is pretty consistent with everything else we've heard about him afterall.

I disagree. The draft is a huge story, regardless of which team, and Watkins was one of, if not THE, star of the draft, and the trade was the story of the draft.

Edited by YoloinOhio

And Marrone did a lousy job utilizing Watkins. Why too are people so obsessed with drafts when they are almost always hit or miss? Buffalo traded, got a stud and as a team your goal is to have as bad a draft position as possible the next year (i.e. go 13-3, not 3-13).

If Marrone after a 9-7 season, where Watkins was responsible for two wins (vs. Minnesota & Detroit) is holding a grudge, that tells you more about the man.

This story about Marrone being displeased with the Watkins pick and storming out of the draft room is revisionist history created and communicated by the Marrone ‘camp’ with a purpose of portraying Doug as a sort of victim here. Highlighting the 'poor hand' he was dealt by the GM and at the same time showing what an amazing job he did this season. Imagine what he could have done if he had a front office that could actually get him the players he wanted? 9-7 with the completely untalented team the GM assembled (like 3 pro bowl defensive lineman) was nothing short of a miracle.

Pure drama.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

This story about Marrone being displeased with the Watkins pick and storming out of the draft room is revisionist history created and communicated by the Marrone ‘camp’ with a purpose of portraying Doug as a sort of victim here. Highlighting the 'poor hand' he was dealt by the GM and at the same time showing what an amazing job he did this season. Imagine what he could have done if he had a front office that could actually get him the players he wanted? 9-7 with the completely untalented team the GM assembled (like 3 pro bowl defensive lineman) was nothing short of a miracle.

Pure drama.

I love the "he didn't get me the players I needed" when the defense and STs were stacked and the Bills added guys like Watkins, Woods, Mike Williams, Goodwin, Gragg, Gray, Dixon, Brown, Kujo, Richardson, and Chris Williams the past 2 years, to go along with guys like CJ, Freddie, Chandler, Glenn, Wood, and Urbik. Now the Bills didn't find a franchise QB in those 2 years, but neither did anyone else.

I love Sammy Watkins and I have a lot of faith that he is going to be a great receiver for the Bills. He is not as good as Odell Beckham, plain and simple. I really don't understand why that is so hard to admit. Sometimes there are guys who come out of the draft that are just on another level, Beckham is one of those guys. I don't give a flying **** how many times he was targeted per game. That is such a weak argument that I would be embarrassed to bring it up if I were you. Watkins is going to have to battle it out to be the 2nd best WR to come out of that draft with Mike Evans, and right now he is 3rd to Evans. Oh wait I forgot, Evans had McCown and Glennon throwing to him.

Look, you have honestly, intelligently and persuasively stated your position. That's all you can do. Unfortunately, you have done this in the only corner of the known universe in which Watkins is still considered a better player than ODB, facts be damned. And where the number of "targets" a receiver gets is unrelated to whether he is getting open. Such "anomalies" can be dismissed because "the OC sucks". Edited by mannc

Not sure why you guys are debating the merits of the Watkins trade. It is irrelevant.

Even if it were a bad trade, no new head coach should storm out of the draft room and throw a fit. Totally unacceptable behavior.

Agreed. Unprofessional. He isn't in charge. He needs to stay in his lane. At the time he was a 6-10 coach with 1 year of experience. Shows he has no self-control and is a loose cannon.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Not sure why you guys are debating the merits of the Watkins trade. It is irrelevant.

Even if it were a bad trade, no new head coach should storm out of the draft room and throw a fit. Totally unacceptable behavior.

True, but it's still fun to debate the Watkins trade.

From what I've heard personally that certainly would not have been the first, nor would it be the last time Marrone showed unacceptable behavior in that building... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Yep, this. I totally don't get why this is seen as "spin" supporting Marrone. It shows immaturity and poor control of his temper, IMO.

I also thought the video was very interesting. Whaley is totally cool. Straight faced, professional, in charge negotiator. As is appropriate.

Brandon, Monos, and Overdorf are all smiley and chatty and then when the trade is made, they're practically Manic whilst Whaley is deadpan and then after a pause, raises his hands and claps. Brandon is grinning like the Cheshire cat and fist pumping.

What do you make of that? It made me wonder who was really the decision maker on how much to give up for Sammy.

From what I've heard personally that certainly would not have been the first, nor would it be the last time Marrone showed unacceptable behavior in that building... B-)

Any truth to the rumor that he treated guys on the "lower rung," if you will, like scum?

I love how he is touted as a young Bill Parcells because he's "tough." No, he's just an a**hole.

Edited by YoloinOhio

True, but it's still fun to debate the Watkins trade.

No, it's frustrating as hell. The question was never whether to draft Watkins or Beckham with the traded pick, and arguing about it now is senseless. NOBODY had Beckham rated that highly. Let's stay on point.

No, it's frustrating as hell. The question was never whether to draft Watkins or Beckham with the traded pick, and arguing about it now is senseless. NOBODY had Beckham rated that highly. Let's stay on point.

Sorry, but it will be debated for years to come, and rightfully so.

Not sure why you kids are debating the merits of the what I made for dinner. It is irrelevant.

Even if you don't like it, no child should storm out of the dining room and throw a fit. Totally unacceptable behavior.

I was trying to teach my six year old a similar lesson last night.

Edited by BillsFanM.D.

Sorry, but it will be debated for years to come, and rightfully so.

The appropriate debate should be between:

(a) who would the Bills have chosen at #9 (probably Ebron) and who they could have drafted this year with #19 (#9 was NEVER going to be Beckham); and

(b) Sammy Watkins

Beckham doesn't and shouldn't enter the discussion.

This story about Marrone being displeased with the Watkins pick and storming out of the draft room is revisionist history created and communicated by the Marrone camp with a purpose of portraying Doug as a sort of victim here. Highlighting the 'poor hand' he was dealt by the GM and at the same time showing what an amazing job he did this season. Imagine what he could have done if he had a front office that could actually get him the players he wanted? 9-7 with the completely untalented team the GM assembled (like 3 pro bowl defensive lineman) was nothing short of a miracle.

Pure drama.

ill say again - i dont think schefter would be fed the line "he stormed out of the draft room" by marrones camp. a simple "he didnt agree with the move and you will notice he wasnt celebrating it due to the cost despite liking the player" would be the kind of quote that makes sense coming from Marrones camp.

i wouldnt be surprised if it was originally fed to schefter kindly from DM, and the stormed out was the story when AS reached out to the bills for confirmation -- and that would be the reason for schefter including two VERY different wordings of it with a disclaimer that he wasnt sure which was true (or just as easily a bills source tried to burn DM and they give the softer wording on follow up). The way he reported it, coupled with the videos, leads me to think this isnt near as "revisionist" as some posters have casually thrown out there.