Who do you want to be named next Bills HC?

YoloinOhio

New Bills Head Coach  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Of the current candidates, who do you hope is hired to be HC?

• Dan Quinn, DC Seattle
    • Pep Hamilton, OC Indianapolis
    • Darrell Bevell, OC Seattle
    • Frank Reich, OC San Diego
    • Adam Gase, OC Denver
    • Jim Schwartz, DC Buffalo
    • Mike Shanahan, former HC of Raiders, Broncos, Redskins
    • Rex Ryan, former HC of Jets
    • Josh McDaniels, OC Pats*
    • Hue Jackson, OC Bengals
    • Teryl Austin, DC Detroit
    • Pat Shurmur, OC Eagles
    • Kyle Shanahan, OC Cleveland
    • Greg Roman, OC San Francisco

Bring in the HOFer (Shanny) who will give us the best possible offense and keep Schwartz as the DC.

The Bills have denied Schwartz the opp. to leave for a HC job so he is staying put.

That's all the more reason to bring in an offensive minded HC.

Don't judge Shanny on what he did in Wash. It was a bad situation with the RGIII injury and the Wash. owner (Snyder) being a meddler.

We would kick a$$ with Shanny and Schwartz. The Bills will find a way to bring in a high quality QB for next year.

-can only deny to let him leave for another DC job, HC he can roll

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we really know about Hackett. I am sure he won't be back, and I don't want him back, but he did design some pretty clever plays. I think that it was 90% Marrone's offense, philosophy, game plan, player choice, formation strategy, etc. And Hackett was carrying it out.

But we don't know either way whether Hackett was arguing for other stuff and was shot down by Marrone. if I had to guess, I would say that Hackett is a lot more similar to dissimilar to Marrone, otherwise St Doug would not have brought him with him after a couple years with him at SU. It's possible, however, that Hackett, being so young and happy to be in that position, was very good at following orders, so he was a good soldier all that time and Marrone knew he could bully him.

I simply can't imagine entrusting the offense to Hackett after what we've seen; some of those personnel groupings were just atrocious. He wasn't making the 4th down calls, obviously, but if he wasn't pushing for something to improve what we were all watching he doesn't have the stones for the job.

I voted for Bevell, but I'd lean towards either Seattle coordinator right now. They're doing everything right on both sides of the ball and have been for a few years. They also take on Pete Carroll's style of creativity and throwing the book out the window.

I voted for Bevell, but I'd lean towards either Seattle coordinator right now. They're doing everything right on both sides of the ball and have been for a few years. They also take on Pete Carroll's style of creativity and throwing the book out the window.

I was big on Bevell, but I've cooled recently. I think that Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch are two players that are just natural freaks of nature. I don't know that Bevell has that much to do with the success of that offense, or that he'd know what to do with much more ordinary talent at QB or RB. I'm much bigger on the Bills hiring Seahawks DC Dan Quinn. I know he's a defensive coordinator, but the guy is so impressive when I watch his press conferences. I think you pick the best head coach and go from there as far as who the OC will be. One thing that's great about Quinn is that he knows you must adapt your systems to the players you have and not the other way around...

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/08/06/dan-quinn-seattle-seahawks/

“One of the things I’ve learned from Coach [Pete] Carroll is how to use our featured players,” Quinn says. “There’s a tendency to say, oh, he doesn’t fit the system. Coach Carroll is more like, what does he have that’s special?”

If we're going offense then it's either Reich or I'm starting to like Pep Hamilton more and more. Pep attacks a defense with deep throws and that's what I want the Bills to do. Having said that, I think Quinn is going to be a great head coach and that's what I want first and foremost. Then trust in his plan for the offense.

Edited by 1billsfan

I went Shanahan in the poll because he's the only choice with the amount of experience I want. I also want to keep Schwartz and Crossman no matter who comes in at HC, in order to preserve a little bit of continuity.

My ultimate coaching staff would be: Cowher HC, Reich OC/AsstHC, Schwartz DC, Crossman ST. I'd even be really happy with Chan back at OC as well.

I also noticed my second choice for HC is missing from the poll as well. If we are going to go with a current coordinator from somewhere, I want Gary Kubiak as HC, whatever OC he wants to bring in, and Schwartz/Crossman to round out the staff.

None of these other first-timers impress me one bit. Dont want a defensive guy because I dont want him messing with Schwartz and our D. And none of the OCs are inspiring at all.

I would like to know why Trestmen once again is on the out side looking in ? The guy is a offensive coach both QB's & a coordinator for years in the NFL & isn't that where our team needs the most help is at QB & the offense ?

Seems like a no brainer to me , put Schwartz as the HC to keep the D the same & keep him happy & bring in a Trestmen or some one that has his kind of resume .

Done deal !!

I simply can't imagine entrusting the offense to Hackett after what we've seen; some of those personnel groupings were just atrocious. He wasn't making the 4th down calls, obviously, but if he wasn't pushing for something to improve what we were all watching he doesn't have the stones for the job.

I realize I'm quoting myself, but just heard some snippets from Fred Jackson this morning -- he basically said Hackett is a very aggressive guy and what he wanted to do didn't always show up in the game plans.

Take from that what you will -- I take that Marrone was an absolute control freak with his fist around this offense's throat.

I was big on Bevell, but I've cooled recently. I think that Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch are two players that are just natural freaks of nature. I don't know that Bevell has that much to do with the success of that offense, or that he'd know what to do with much more ordinary talent at QB or RB. I'm much bigger on the Bills hiring Seahawks DC Dan Quinn. I know he's a defensive coordinator, but the guy is so impressive when I watch his press conferences. I think you pick the best head coach and go from there as far as who the OC will be. One thing that's great about Quinn is that he knows you must adapt your systems to the players you have and not the other way around...

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/08/06/dan-quinn-seattle-seahawks/

“One of the things I’ve learned from Coach [Pete] Carroll is how to use our featured players,” Quinn says. “There’s a tendency to say, oh, he doesn’t fit the system. Coach Carroll is more like, what does he have that’s special?”

If we're going offense then it's either Reich or I'm starting to like Pep Hamilton more and more. Pep attacks a defense with deep throws and that's what I want the Bills to do. Having said that, I think Quinn is going to be a great head coach and that's what I want first and foremost. Then trust in his plan for the offense.

From what I've read, Pep has the same philosophy as Quinn...build a system around your players, not forcing your players into a system. To me, this is how teams win. Bill Parcells was the best at doing this.

You may wish to discount every OC who works with an elite QB, as I have, because they make any OC look good and the Bills won't have one next season.

Doing that leaves Bevell and Jackson and I favor the former because his offense has won playoff games.

Remember, we are hiring a HC, not an OC. Things like interpersonal relationships and leadership are more important than Xs and Os and how successful the candidate's team was with them as coordinator, IMO. That's why a candidate such as Frank Reich should not be discounted, and why guys who may have ridden the coattails of HOF QBs should be.

Edited by mannc

You may wish to discount every OC who works with an elite QB, as I have, because they make any OC look good and the Bills won't have one next season.

Doing that leaves Bevell and Jackson and I favor the former because his offense has won playoff games.

So anyone who has been successful and has worked with a "elite QB" is out? Has anyone ever won with a bad QB?

The only success Bevell has had in is career is with Brett Favre and Russell Wilson. He's failed with Matt Hasselbeck, Clipboard Jesus, and Tarvaris Jackson. Not sure he meets your criteria. I'll give you Hue though. Had a great game plan and called great plays yesterday.

can you add Gary Kubiak as a potential HC?

The list includes names that have been reported as interviewing with the Bills, or have been reported as the Bills have interest in - so we can keep the vote to viable candidates. Kubiak hasn't been reported (yet). Edited by YoloinOhio

Agreed! I voted for Schwartz and the continuity. I think we can come up with a good coordinator, maybe even Reich!

Linehan would be good. My second pick would be Shanahan and try to keep Schwartz as DC.

I want Schwartz to be in Buffalo next season for continuity, but think the best continuity is him as DC. If that isn't an option, then I would consider him as HC, but that would be my second choice.

I don't think Reich is an OC candidate, since he already has that job with another team (and better situation with a franchise QB). Lateral moves without being fired are hard in the NFL, but maybe he could get a title promotion like Asst Head Coach in that case.

Why roll the dice on a complete offensive make over? It's not really about what I think, though. I'm just throwing in my 2 cents. Not that it's worth anything. I just think it's funny how people get all worked up over a shiny new toy. New coach is more fun to talk about. I guess I'm just trying to look at it from a different perspective.

I think that the answer is because what is in place is completely broken. It was the lowest YPC in franchise history I believe. The whole thing is broken, blocking schemes, personnel groupings, red zone play calling, etc... Hackett hasn't shown that he belongs and there is no reason to to keep any of the offensive coaches IMO. The players on that side of the ball not only didn't improve but regressed in many cases. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I voted for Schwartz only because I realllly want continuity on that side of the ball because it was so successful. The players seem to love him. And I think he might be able to lure Lenihan from Dallas for OC, who I think has had a nice season with play calling. My mind could change if there was some assurance that he would be here no matter what with the new hire.

Agreed, with a caveat. He obviously needs to have a plan at O-Co in order to make the offer.

Re-no more money for Scwartz withthe same amount of years.

Make Donnie Henderson or Pepper Johnson D-Co.

The problem is finding a new OC.

Basically, the candidate you choose must have the best plan at QB/O-Co.

I'm not worried about the Defense, with that Defensive line. Any competent D-Co can make that defense work.

The Front 7 is a strength and the Back 4 are quality.

Worst case if Schwartz did leave any D-Co would job at the opportunity to be the D-Co with that roster.

It would take a dinosaur from 80s to screw that roster up (WanStache I'm looking at you.)