Head Coach candidate: Mike Shanahan

HOUSE

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand why he would have turned the Bills down before and don't blame him. I understand why he would want the Bills job now and don't blame him. It would be a risk, but it may be one worth taking.

All of these guys, every single one of them, is a big risk. And even if you say you know now, and three years ago you were shown to be right for or against, you didn't know, you guessed right.

I've come to the conclusion that this team should not pick a celebrity head coach like Mike Shanahan. I think that young players would resent having a head coach whose a very famous NFL persona yet doesn't have any results from the recent modern era. They could care less about 1998.

I think today's young players are about what's cool what's hip what's fun and what's trending. While Pete Carroll and him are about the same age, Pete Carroll is still hip and acts young. He talks and sounds like a person in their 20s. Carroll is the exception IMO.

The Bills really should hire young, up and coming coordinator like Dan Quinn, Hamilton, Reich (not that young but he seems much younger than Shanahan) or Bevell. This team needs a head coach that they will go on a long playoff ride with for about 10 years and that's not celebrity head coach Mike Shanahan.

Not sure I agree with this. One thing about Shannahan that no one is discussing is that because he has been around, he'll have a network of coaching staff to choose from. He can bring in a good OC, line coach etc. All of these OC and DC coaches the Bills are interviewing haven't got that kind of clout. They may not be able to draw much interest from around the league.

Who do we all think is the front runner at the moment?

CBF

Too early to tell.

All of these OC and DC coaches the Bills are interviewing haven't got that kind of clout. They may not be able to draw much interest from around the league.

This is a HUGE part of it for me. Hiring some marginal or first time dude is how you end up with the George Edwards and Nate Hakcetts and Patt Morrisses of the world. Shanahan would be able to hire real successful NFL assistants that want to come here and work for him.

Edited by reddogblitz

Apologies if this link has already been posted on this thread, and also apologies that this is a La Canfora piece, although to be fair, he was a Redskins beat reporter before getting on the national stage, so he has some basis to level the criticism he does, but this article at least suggests that MS may not come with top assistants. Also, not mentioned in the article, but certainly relevant, Haslett was among Shanahan's first hires.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24373508/snyder-rg3-made-mistakes-but-this-skins-disaster-is-all-shanahans

Apologies if this link has already been posted on this thread, and also apologies that this is a La Canfora piece, although to be fair, he was a Redskins beat reporter before getting on the national stage, so he has some basis to level the criticism he does, but this article at least suggests that MS may not come with top assistants. Also, not mentioned in the article, but certainly relevant, Haslett was among Shanahan's first hires.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24373508/snyder-rg3-made-mistakes-but-this-skins-disaster-is-all-shanahans

Well... that does make me nervous.

Thanks for posting. I have seen many comments here that like to excuse Shanahan in Washington because of the owner, but that was not my perception of his tenure in DC either, and I live in the area and read the Post daily. If people thought Marrone was arrogant and abrasive, they will just love old Mike. Shanahan at least brings a pedigree and some great success on his resume, but he would certainly demand full control and that did not work out well for the Deadskins. It could be worth the risk, certainly worth evaluating if you are the Pegulas, but buyer beware.

You do realize that 2 years ago Shanahan had his team in a home playoff game with a cutting edge offense, right? I guess the game leaves guys behind really fast.

Yeah, and how did that work out for him the following year? His "cutting edge" offense was RG3 ad lib and option run which ended up with RG3 damaged beyond repair. The most damning thing for me was Shanahan thinking he could actually do something in Washington with that idiot meddling owner.Not to mention Shanahan thought he was too good for Buffalo. Wasnt he even offered a small % of ownership if he came here? That would have been worth several million if that rumour was true and he turned it down.

The QB position makes or breaks the coach in the NFL. Buffalo doesn't have a QB, so to me it doesn't matter who our coach is. I say promote Schwartz to HC. Regardless, in two years we'll be having the same coaching conversation because who ever takes this HC job will absolutely not be here in two to three years. He'll either get canned or quit the job. This endless HC cycle is never going to end until someone at OBD finds a freaking QB that's worth a flip.

Peter King's on board with Shanny (from today's MMQB):

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/05/nfl-los-angeles-rams-wild-card-weekend/8/

I think if I were the Buffalo Bills, this is exactly what I’d do: Hire Mike Shanahan. Keep Jim Schwartz with an extension and a raise. And trade for Jay Cutler. Shanahan is the one who found and drafted Cutler and got him going on the right foot in Denver in 2006. The defense is ready to win playoff games now (not just qualify for the postseason), and it’s time to sell out to try to get the big-armed quarterback, who is scarred right now but still far better than the alternatives, to give Buffalo a legitimate offensive chance.

I'm onboard with this, maybe not so much Jay Cutler but the rest just makes sense.

Yeah, and how did that work out for him the following year? His "cutting edge" offense was RG3 ad lib and option run which ended up with RG3 damaged beyond repair. The most damning thing for me was Shanahan thinking he could actually do something in Washington with that idiot meddling owner.Not to mention Shanahan thought he was too good for Buffalo. Wasnt he even offered a small % of ownership if he came here? That would have been worth several million if that rumour was true and he turned it down.

those are several points worth considering before Buffalo even thinks seriously about Shanahan. I am hoping that Shanahan's interview is for PR purposes only to show that 'we will interview proven coaches as well as up-and-comers'.

Last year, I was ready to whip Shanahan when he continued to let an obviously hobbled RG III continue playing. Can never forgive him for that. Besides the fact that he has had little success post-Elway.

I understand why he would have turned the Bills down before and don't blame him. I understand why he would want the Bills job now and don't blame him. It would be a risk, but it may be one worth taking.

All of these guys, every single one of them, is a big risk. And even if you say you know now, and three years ago you were shown to be right for or against, you didn't know, you guessed right.

+100.

Now envision this: What if hiring Mike Shanahan also brings the Bills Jay Cutler who enjoyed his best years in a Shanahan offense PLUS coupled with the fact this would be the best defense that Shanahan has EVER had as a coach INCLUDING the Denver years.

The more I think about it: The more I think Shanahan makes sense.

Redskins? Shanahan blew up that team? Ask the other litany of coaches ousted out of Washington about that owner. Snyder IS the problem in DC.

Edited by Like A Mofo