Head Coach candidate: Mike Shanahan

HOUSE

The worst thing tho would be if Shanny comes out and says he doesn't have an interview with Buffalo. Because that would be the second incorrect PR-motivated leak out of OBD in a week.

OBD has not said anything about this.

The leverage game is humming... he's going to S.F.

No QB and no 1st round pick says you're right. Then again, Pegula's checkbook could be the equalizer in all this.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously people:

There are a few truly unfair ideas at work with some here:

1) After witnessing for decades what a meddling owner can do to the FO, the personnel, the draft, coaching staff and the product itself - how in the world can you operate on the assumption that Shanahan is solely to blame for the situation with the Skins? Danny was messing up that franchise before he got there and is doing a bang up job post-Shanny.

2) After seeing all of the season-long ups and downs, in-game decision making, injuries, managing staff and personnel - how do you take away the improbable success of back-to-back SB wins from the HC and put it all on the QB (Elway)?

3) There are people on this board clamoring for Marty Schottenheimer, Coughlin (like that will ever happen) and best of all Cowher. Shanahan had a team in the playoffs after winning the NFC East just 2 seasons ago!! But he's a washed-up retread? He inherited a 4-win Jim Zorn dumpster fire in Washington with Jason Campbell as QB.

Seriously, the ones saying "no thanks" like some cancer would be coming here to bring our storied franchise down need a reality check. Offensive HC, respected among his peers, 2 SB rings EARNED, knows the game better than anyone currently in our organization and could absolutely take us to the next level - even with Jay freaking Cutler.

If Pegs is truly a hands-off owner, won't jam him with a diva gadget QB and wants a football guy here, IMHO he would be a tremendous person to right this ship. I'm glad that he's being considered.

I don't want a Schottenheimer or a Cowher either. Nor am I putting those Superbowls entirely on Elway - I just point out that he is basically a .500 head coach in 16 seasons without Elway.

Edited by GunnerBill

OBD has not said anything about this.

When I read "sources," I think OBD.

Sometimes I think it's Brandon who's the leak. He stood to gain the most from Polian not coming to Buffalo.

Shanny would be our best HC hire since Marv Levy. He's accomplished something even Levy never accomplished.....winning TWO SBs!! Yet you mock him.

Yeah, let's celebrate hiring a guy like A. Gase instead, a guy who has been an OC for exactly one year.

handle the defense.You people are nuts!!

Shanny is the type of HC that we need at this point in time. We already have Schwartz to handle the defense. What we need to complete the ensemble is an offensive minded HC who can bring proven coaches and successful schemes with him. Guess what.....Shanny can do that.

His biggest undertaking would be to acquire a high quality starting QB. Because of who he is and what he's accomplished he just may give us a better chance to acquire a better QB.

That could make all of the difference in the world right there.

Jmho but shannie would have no interest taking on cutler. Too arrogant to let someone spoil his gig. Just like he washed his hands of jake the snake and rg3, he wouldn't want to be tied to cutler after seeing how things went down in Chicago. Better to start with the guy he inherited in EJ and see what he can do making something of someone else's damaged goods.

I'm not so sure actually. Cutler was a pro-bowler under Shanny and seeing as he was the only coach he's had to get the best out of him Cutler may straighten out back under Shanny. Cutler like Shanny may not want his legacy to be this last uear with the Bears and if he thinks Shanny can fix his image it could be his last shot.

I think this is very interesting/exciting rumor - Shanny with Cutler along with a couple OL pieces (spiller reaching his potential?) and Schwartz and his cru on defense - we would be a very dangerous team. It would be interesting if that was part of the pitch maybe they have the Cutler move already figured out

Seriously people:

There are a few truly unfair ideas at work with some here:

1) After witnessing for decades what a meddling owner can do to the FO, the personnel, the draft, coaching staff and the product itself - how in the world can you operate on the assumption that Shanahan is solely to blame for the situation with the Skins? Danny was messing up that franchise before he got there and is doing a bang up job post-Shanny.

2) After seeing all of the season-long ups and downs, in-game decision making, injuries, managing staff and personnel - how do you take away the improbable success of back-to-back SB wins from the HC and put it all on the QB (Elway)?

3) There are people on this board clamoring for Marty Schottenheimer, Coughlin (like that will ever happen) and best of all Cowher. Shanahan had a team in the playoffs after winning the NFC East just 2 seasons ago!! But he's a washed-up retread? He inherited a 4-win Jim Zorn dumpster fire in Washington with Jason Campbell as QB.

Seriously, the ones saying "no thanks" like some cancer would be coming here to bring our storied franchise down need a reality check. Offensive HC, respected among his peers, 2 SB rings EARNED, knows the game better than anyone currently in our organization and could absolutely take us to the next level - even with Jay freaking Cutler.

If Pegs is truly a hands-off owner, won't jam him with a diva gadget QB and wants a football guy here, IMHO he would be a tremendous person to right this ship. I'm glad that he's being considered.

said it better than i could.. :thumbsup: ..