Head Coach candidate: Mike Shanahan

HOUSE

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have been in contact with Shanahan and hope to set up an interview with him, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

Shanahan has said he’s interested in getting back into coaching but only wants to do it in a place where he can win right away. Buffalo may fit that bill, as the Bills went 9-7 last season and have one of the NFL’s best defenses.

The only question is at quarterback, where the Bills have a major hole. That’s where the intriguing possibility of the Bills acquiring Jay Cutler from the Bears comes in. The Bears’ new coach and general manager will presumably want to unload the enormous guaranteed 2015 salary the prior regime gave Cutler, and Shanahan’s history with Cutler in Denver could make him one of the few coaches who would want to take on that contract.

So, while things did not go well for Shanahan at the end of his tenure in Washington, it’s not farfetched to think things could go better for him in Buffalo.

If you are looking for someone to come in and fix the OL, Shanahan would probably be the best candidate. I'm a huge admirer of the zone blocking schemes he developed with Alex Gibbs in Denver, they truly were revolutionary. Some might question if our OL has the agility to run that scheme, but I don't see that as a problem because It looks like the line will be revamped anyways, at least the guards.

I'm not sure he could co-exist with Schwarfz, and that would be a deal-breaker (for me at least).

you're 1000% correct about what Shanahan and Gibbs accomplished, and the good news is - there are enough Gibbs disciples running around, that they alone, could crush ISIS!

but i don't get you're concern about the chemistry between the two coaches.. is there some bad history there?

Glorified play action

no.. it's really not. it's a run - all the way.

maybe you're thinking of the play option pass, that's become an effective pass option off the r/o.. but that's not your father's p/a either.

The Bills have been in contact with Shanahan and hope to set up an interview with him, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

Shanahan has said hes interested in getting back into coaching but only wants to do it in a place where he can win right away. Buffalo may fit that bill, as the Bills went 9-7 last season and have one of the NFLs best defenses.

The only question is at quarterback, where the Bills have a major hole. Thats where the intriguing possibility of the Bills acquiring Jay Cutler from the Bears comes in. The Bears new coach and general manager will presumably want to unload the enormous guaranteed 2015 salary the prior regime gave Cutler, and Shanahans history with Cutler in Denver could make him one of the few coaches who would want to take on that contract.

So, while things did not go well for Shanahan at the end of his tenure in Washington, its not farfetched to think things could go better for him in Buffalo.

Jmho but shannie would have no interest taking on cutler. Too arrogant to let someone spoil his gig. Just like he washed his hands of jake the snake and rg3, he wouldn't want to be tied to cutler after seeing how things went down in Chicago. Better to start with the guy he inherited in EJ and see what he can do making something of someone else's damaged goods. Edited by JTSP

My sister just called from Denver.....she's listening to some sports radio hack who said that Shanahan and Cutler are coming to Buffalo. I know that's just a rumor, but I think I could deal with that. If Cutler has any sanity and ability left in him, he could rock the Ralph.

If that happens i would be okay.

I don't care for Shanny, but I'd be okay with a coach of that magnitude and attitude.

Jmho but shannie would have no interest taking on cutler. Too arrogant to let someone spoil his gig. Just like he washed his hands of jake the snake and rg3, he wouldn't want to be tied to cutler after seeing how things went down in Chicago. Better to start with the guy he inherited in EJ and see what he can do making something of someone else's damaged goods.

not for nothin, but Cutler is Shanahan's 'damaged goods'..

good recent article on MS.. gotta like his comments about only considering coming back to coach a team with a chance to win a Super Bowl.. that raises the bar from 9-7 and no playoff game, don't it

oops - link - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/redskins/2014/07/25/mike-shanahan-wants-to-coach-super-bowl-contender-denver-broncos-owner-pat-bowlen-washington-redskins-robert-griffin/13145331/

Edited by BackInDaDay

My sister just called from Denver.....she's listening to some sports radio hack who said that Shanahan and Cutler are coming to Buffalo. I know that's just a rumor, but I think I could deal with that. If Cutler has any sanity and ability left in him, he could rock the Ralph.

I don't care for Shanny, but I'd be okay with a coach of that magnitude and attitude.

He actually got a lot out of Cutler

not for nothin, but Cutler is Shanahan's 'damaged goods'..

good recent article on MS.. gotta like his comments about only considering coming back to coach a team with a chance to win a Super Bowl.. that raises the bar from 9-7 and no playoff game, don't it

oops - link - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/redskins/2014/07/25/mike-shanahan-wants-to-coach-super-bowl-contender-denver-broncos-owner-pat-bowlen-washington-redskins-robert-griffin/13145331/

He also brought jake the snake to Denver and then washed his hands of him. Once benched, made it clear his only role on the team would be that of backup.

you think they could get better production from our O than Marrone/Orton? :D

He also brought jake the snake to Denver and then washed his hands of him. Once benched, made it clear his only role on the team would be that of backup.

i liked Jake - alot, one of my kids favorite players at the time (him being an 11 year-old Bronco fan listening to his dad talking up Plummer from Arizona) .. but he wasn't gonna beat out Cutler. as great a playmaker as he could be, like Tomy Romo, he had those 'oh shoot' moments that killed ya. in retrospect - the upgrade didn't work out, but that's the NFL

Edited by BackInDaDay

@JasonLaCanfora: Would not be surprised at all if the Bills set up an interview with Mike Shanahan. There is some interest

I hope LaCanfora's just stirring the pot. I do not want Shanahan here.

If nothing else, he would want to retain his "VP of Football Operations" title and responsibilities, and I do not think his personnel choices nor coaching performance with the Redskins justifies giving him this dual role.

Edited: crap, not pot stirring, theyve scheduled him. Now Pep Hamilton interests me.

Edited by Hopeful

I don't hate the idea, as long as he doesn't bring his kid along. He knows offensive football and his experience in Washington may have knocked some of the arrogance out of him. The fact that he could not coexist with Snyder and RGIII is not necessarily a strike against him.

Kyle Shanahan is getting an interview with the 49ers, I believe. I don't think this is a "Tommy Boy" situation.